Where is the new sat?

JoeSp

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Oct 11, 2003
Anybody have any information about the new sattelite and when it is going up? Seems that without that sat E* is going to start falling behind D* real bad. If D* didn't have such crap equipment I might boot E* out after 10 years as a customer.

Also, when is E* going to update their menu, it looks the same after 10 years, I like the network logs to be on the menu and not having them their makes it look like 1990 programming. I guess E* doesn't feel they have to dress up for the consumer.

Well, that does it for my rant on E* And don't get me started on not having SciFi or FX in HD!:mad:

Anybody have any information about the new sattelite and when it is going up? Seems that without that sat E* is going to start falling behind D* real bad. If D* didn't have such crap equipment I might boot E* out after 10 years as a customer.

Also, when is E* going to update their menu, it looks the same after 10 years, I like the network logs to be on the menu and not having them their makes it look like 1990 programming. I guess E* doesn't feel they have to dress up for the consumer.

Well, that does it for my rant on E* And don't get me started on not having SciFi or FX in HD!:mad:
Start to fall behind? Have you been under a rock the last 2 months? D* has yet another satellite going up soon. The HD war is over. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Start to fall behind? Have you been under a rock the last 2 months? D* has yet another satellite going up soon. The HD war is over. :rolleyes:

WRONG!! The HD war is not over and there really is not one Direct has nothing else to do but to add more HD because they been behind for so long. Overall most of the HD Direct has added Dish already had for awhile and there only a few channels that Direct added that Dish does not have. Dish will be getting more Sats up just like Direct but in the long run they both will offer about the same amount of HD Channels as they do SD Channels. It will come down to pricing and who has better hardware that works with better features which for now Dish does. But dont say anything is over Dish is fine they will keep adding more HD just like everyone else. So you might be the one under the rock or you just really dont understand how things work like many others. Either way Dish is fine nothing to worry about. :)

WRONG!! The HD war is not over and there really is not one Direct has nothing else to do but to add more HD because they been behind for so long. Overall most of the HD Direct has added Dish already had for awhile and there only a few channels that Direct added that Dish does not have. Dish will be getting more Sats up just like Direct but in the long run they both will offer about the same amount of HD Channels as they do SD Channels. It will come down to pricing and who has better hardware that works with better features which for now Dish does. But dont say anything is over Dish is fine they will keep adding more HD just like everyone else. So you might be the one under the rock or you just really dont understand how things work like many others. Either way Dish is fine nothing to worry about. :)

It's over!!! Sell your dish equipment now while you can still get pennies on a dollar. Dish is loosing customers in droves. D is working 7 days a week installing new customers there is over a months waiting list now. Dishes false promises is finally biting in the you know where.

Well, to be fair, D* has quite a few more HD channels than E* right now, although how much actual HD content they have is not clear.

E* DID have quite a bit more HD than D* for the last year to year and a half, which is why I'm willing to give Dish some more time to see what they add. HOWEVER, the difference is that when E* was ahead D* was fairly clear about their plans; i.e. we have X number of satellites going up in a span of Y months after which we will be adding a *load of HD channels. E* doesn't seem to be willing to make their plans known to the extent D* did. While I understand Dish's history of not making announcements, some indication of what they intend to do would be nice. We may know they have a number of satellites scheduled to launch sometime in 2008-9 but with this AT&T thing who knows if we'll ever get to take advantage of them? Maybe Charlie is just ready to close the door on E* and has one hand on the doorknob and the other on the light switch.

We'll see.

=NLK=

WRONG! I'm not jumping ship to D*, however, I just counted 27 HD channels that D* now has that E* does not (I didnt compare/count RSNs) I'm not going to go into how 'HD' these channels are/are not, cause that is pointless. The channels will mature...

Doesnt really matter, it is like a football game...E* scored like 2 touchdowns early and now D* has scored 3 and added a field goal. By the time the game is over it will be all tied up, or E* will have more because of Voom. 3 Sats next year = alot of HD. All you do when you taunt the other team is make them work harder at whooping you in the end. Thats my $.02

Did I somehow miss this event. I've checked all my history books and can't seem to find any reference to the Germans bombing Pearl Harbor.:confused::confused::confused:

Ever hear of a movie called Animal House? You obviously have never seen it!

Overall most of the HD Direct has added Dish already had for awhile and there only a few channels that Direct added that Dish does not have.

Poke, you used to say 5 or 6, until I pointed out that just counting national HD that have shown any HD material, non-PPV or RSN channels D* has like 15 or 16 more the E*. Now you're saying a few, sorry 15 or 16 more channels is more then a few.

Last edited:
The latest info on the launch of DIRECTV 11 points to a January 2008 launch. Hardcore speculation can't logically begin until after the Thuraya 3 launch.

WRONG! I'm not jumping ship to D*, however, I just counted 27 HD channels that D* now has that E* does not (I didnt compare/count RSNs) I'm not going to go into how 'HD' these channels are/are not, cause that is pointless. The channels will mature...

And, unfortunately for us E* customers, it is going to get worse before it gets better. By next March/April D* is going to have a huge advantage over E*.

Unless Charlie pulls a miracle, like he did when he scooped up VOOM's satellite.

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor.....

Did I somehow miss this event. I've checked all my history books and can't seem to find any reference to the Germans bombing Pearl Harbor.:confused::confused::confused:

First we had "Ebonics" language, now we have "Ebonics" History! (The Japanese didn't do it, the Germans did. :eek:) Better yet, you are never wrong, just misunderstood. I guess there's no chance he'll know the capital of this country then. :D Now, back to the original topic; the war isn't over, Echostar just had the bad luck to sign on with a launch partner that keeps blowing up rockets and their payloads. Hopefully we'll be back to détente by the middle of next year. Is that "Ebonics" optimism on my part? :rolleyes:

Now, back to the original topic; the war isn't over, Echostar just had the bad luck to sign on with a launch partner that keeps blowing up rockets and their payloads.
If you are a student of history, you would know that ILS had a major mishap recently too. In this case, the launch platform wasn't damaged, but the launch vehicle was suspended.

For the really big birds, it is difficult to find a provider that hasn't had a problem.

If you are a student of history, you would know that ILS had a major mishap recently too. In this case, the launch platform wasn't damaged, but the launch vehicle was suspended.

For the really big birds, it is difficult to find a provider that hasn't had a problem.

Point taken. All I'm saying is that EchoStar had the bad luck to need launch vehicles at the same time as problems were occuring. You are right though that it could just as easily happened to DirecTV. :) Hey! If it had happened to DirecTV instead of EchoStar would I have SciFi HD now? :D

"The channels will mature..."

And by the time they do, E* will have 'em too.

How impatient we are! Even for stuff with misleading labels (HD?.....). D* gets a year's run, more or less.

I've already got more available than I can watch, anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)