129 Signal Problems Atlanta WSB (yes another thread)

ThomasTrain

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 13, 2006
I've suffered from the constant signal problems that have plaged the echostar 4 satellite at 129 for the last 18 months or so since I put up my dish. Most of the time I have just dealt with it as the green pixelation, and signal drop outs were usually borderline bearable. Unfortunately, tonight Dish has exceeded my threashold on what I would consider acceptible. Tonight while watching Desperate Housewives (no jokes, the wife likes it and as such so do I) on WSB Atlanta channel 2 via the 129 bird, I experienced 7 instances of green/multicolored pixelation and 12 blackouts (signal dropouts) with each instance lasting about 3 to 20 seconds. Brothers & Sisters was slightly better at 5 instances of green/multicolored pixelation and 8 blackouts (signal dropouts) with each instance lasting about 3 to 14 seconds.

Before anyone asks, it was clear with no rain and there is nothing obstucting the view of the Dish.

When I went to the System Info screen, I got the infamous LNB Drift detected message with a reading of 0x07, 0xa7, 129 (e -6). I called Dish to express my joy with having a disgruntled wife and a faulty LNB and they refused to authorize replacement of the LNB because it was within the acceptible threshold which isn't breached until the Drift reading reaches 0x08 and offered to charge me for it. After some heated persuation, they finally agreed to replace it under the warranty.

My signal levels are decent: ( I hate the 622s new signal meter)
501 P365: 119=115, 110=98, 129=72.
622 L445: 119=80, 110=72, 129=53.

I don't know if replacing the LNB will do anything to improve my signal loss situation but when I call up complaining about excessive signal loss on only this one satellite combined with the fact that I am receiving lnb drift readings that are one digit below the tolderance threshold, give me the friggin benefit of the doubt and replace the dang thing under the warranty that I pay such good money for each month. Heck, I don't even want them to replace it, just ship it to me.

Alright my rant is over. Was anyone else in the Atlanta area experiencing similar issues last night with the 129 satellite or am I suffering from a possible LNB failure?

P.S. I just checked my other 622 and its LNB Drift readings were far worse at 0x0d, 0xa1, 129 (e -6). Next time I'll check both receivers readings before calling in about a drift message.

Last edited:
It might be problems with the channel itself. Did you receive messages stating you had a loss of signal during the outages?

The magic number for lnb drift is -7. At or above that your get it replaced.

Lnb drift is probably NOT the cause of pixellation, try peaking the dish (search for threads, I've explained how at least half a dozen times).

It might be problems with the channel itself. Did you receive messages stating you had a loss of signal during the outages?

No, there were no messages about signal loss from the receiver. It would just either pixelate or go black for several seconds.

The magic number for lnb drift is -7. At or above that your get it replaced.

Lnb drift is probably NOT the cause of pixellation, try peaking the dish (search for threads, I've explained how at least half a dozen times).

Well, according to the CSR last night the magic number is 8. I agree that the drift is probably not the cause based on the many posts I have read here, but my dish is also peaked pretty well. Again, in have no issues with any other High Def channels only my locals on 129. I rechecked my readings on my 501 this morning and got the following readings:

On my 501: 501 P365: 119=117, 110=103, 129=84.

Clearly a mispointed Dish or unpeaked Dish is not the cause here. I am still hoping to hear from other Atlantans to see if they also had issues with the channel. For all I know it could have been a feed problem at the uplink. IIRC, the green pixelation was indicative of an encoder problem back when they first turned on the Mpeg4 stream.

I've suffered from this same problem quite a few times on my 622 - 1000.2 + 61.5 setup as well ThomasTrain and my signals are about the same as yours just a couple points higher - Mine was really bad this morning as i watched the news and then Good Morning America - some days are fine and then others are not & no cloud cover at either time

No, there were no messages about signal loss from the receiver. It would just either pixelate or go black for several seconds.

Well, according to the CSR last night the magic number is 8. I agree that the drift is probably not the cause based on the many posts I have read here, but my dish is also peaked pretty well. Again, in have no issues with any other High Def channels only my locals on 129. I rechecked my readings on my 501 this morning and got the following readings:

On my 501: 501 P365: 119=117, 110=103, 129=84.

Clearly a mispointed Dish or unpeaked Dish is not the cause here. I am still hoping to hear from other Atlantans to see if they also had issues with the channel. For all I know it could have been a feed problem at the uplink. IIRC, the green pixelation was indicative of an encoder problem back when they first turned on the Mpeg4 stream.

Doesn't sound like a signal issue on 129 or equipment on your side.

Is this happening on all 4 HD locals?

I am near Roswell / Marietta border, and 129 is a total no go for me. If the wind blows or someone makes a loud noise in the neighborhood it goes out. :) It has been too unreliable to keep the 129 feed hooked up. My OTA is rock solid so not a big deal for me but wish they would move it off of "weak" 129.

Doesn't sound like a signal issue on 129 or equipment on your side.

Is this happening on all 4 HD locals?

I generally watch three of my locals: 129 TP4

ABC - Desperate Housewives, Greys Anatomy, Brother & Sisters, Big Shots
FOX - Prison Break, House, 24, Family Guy
CBS - CSI (All), Rules of Engagement, Two and a Half Men, Shark

I have varying levels of the green pixelation/signal dropouts on all of the locals but ABC is by far the worst.

By comparison, Discovery channel HD 129 TP19 on which I watch Mythbusters, Dirty Jobs and Deadliest Catch rarely has issues.

1st 622 L446 Signal Levels: 129-TP4=50, 129-TP19=54
2nd 622 L445 Signal Levels: 129-TP4=49, 129-TP19=53
501 Signal Levels: TP4 and TP19 are 8PSK so no reading but TP21=80

*Transponder numbers from Lyngsat.

I am near Roswell / Marietta border, and 129 is a total no go for me. If the wind blows or someone makes a loud noise in the neighborhood it goes out. :) It has been too unreliable to keep the 129 feed hooked up. My OTA is rock solid so not a big deal for me but wish they would move it off of "weak" 129.

Dish screwed us all by not putting dual OTA tuners in, so I can only record one OTA at a time. But that wouldn't be a solution for me anyway because my OTA signal isn't all that reliable because I am on the fringe in Northeast, GA.

My signal levels overall are pretty good and with my non-local HD channels on 129, the quality is acceptible, the locals are what is killing me.

We live in the Alpharetta area (just north of Atlanta) and experienced the exact same thing during DH last night. So it is not just you! We watched it recorded so I was afraid the DVR was starting to go, so I'm glad to here it was a signal issue. Still sucks though...wife was none too happy.

I live in Buford (north east ATL). Right now I have 4 HD DVR's. 2-722, 2-622. Gonna sell one 622 soon. Anyway, I have had the same pixelization/black screen for a few seconds, as you. Mine seems to come and go. 99% of the time it only happens on the locals. Pisses me off. Heres is what I did as an experiment. I taped Heros last monday night on all 4 dvrs. It pixelized about 4 times. I watched each spot where it pixelized and it pixelized at the same spot on the show on all 4 dvrs.

I'm thinking it's local channel uplink issue instead of an issue between Echostar 5 and your TV. Might be time to email the dishquality email address. Do some searching and you should be able to find it.

Message to DishQuality

Sent: Tuesday, October 30, 2007 11:11 AM
To: 'dishquality@echostar.com'
Cc: 'ceo@echostar.com'
Subject: Atlanta HD Locals Quality problems

I've suffered from the constant signal problems that have plagued the EchoStar 4 satellite at 129 for the last 18 months or so since I put up my dish. Most of the time I have just dealt with it as the green pixilation, and signal drop outs were usually borderline bearable. Unfortunately, Sunday night my threshold was exceeded on what I would consider acceptable. Sunday evening while watching Desperate Housewives on WSB Atlanta channel 2 via the 129 satellite, I experienced 7 instances of green/multicolored pixilation and 12 blackouts (signal dropouts) with each instance lasting about 3 to 20 seconds. Brothers & Sisters was slightly better at 5 instances of green/multicolored pixilation and 8 blackouts (signal dropouts) with each instance lasting about 3 to 14 seconds. Thess issues occur on all of the Atlanta local channels but it is the worst on WSB Channel 2.

My original thought was that the issue may be caused by an equipment problem on my side, but the issue occurred on both of my 622 receivers. Then I though is may be a signal issue but my signal level on the 129 satellite is in the 80s, which according to most people, including installers, is higher than average. In addition, the Discover Channel HD on Transponder 19 does not have these issues, only the HD local channels on Transponder 4.

In an an effort to determine if the issue was related to my equipment or if it affected all people in Atlanta, I posted my experiences on the www.satelliteguys.us forum. Surprisingly, many pother people in the Atlanta area are also complaining of the same thing and only on the Atlanta local channels. You can read the thread here: http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-ne...-problems-atlanta-wsb-yes-another-thread.html

I believe this is an issue that needs to be addressed as soon as possible since this appears to be an issue that affects the entire Atlanta DMA.

Thomas xxxxxxxxx
xxx-xxx-xxxx
Acct# xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dish Network's Response

From: Audio-Video-Quality [mailto:DishQuality@echostar.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 30, 2007 6:34 PM
To: Thomas xxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: Atlanta HD Locals Quality problems

Dear Mr. xxxxxxxx,

Thank you for expressing your concerns and interest in DISH Network. Customer input is an important tool in our efforts to continuously improve the quality of the DISH Network service.

We are aware of the issues you have described within this market, namely with WSB HD and WXIA HD. We are working with the signal providers and equipment vendors to help troubleshoot and isolate the cause for these breakups. We are also looking closely at WAGA HD and WGCL HD signals for breakups.

At DISH Network we appreciate the time customers take to email their audio/video quality concerns. Thank you for your patience and for being a valued customer.

Regards,
EchoStar Satellite LLC
Quality Assurance Department
dishquality@echostar.com

New response from Dish, just about aw worthless as the last one.

Dear Mr. xxxxxxx,

Indeed these issues have continued much longer than any of us expected! We are still pushing for resolution and it appears that the stations and equipment vendors are making some headway. You may be surprised to know that we are also working with our competitors as they too are experiencing similar issues with these signals.

Again, thank you for your emails. We appreciate your continued patience and support!

Regards,
EchoStar Satellite LLC
Quality Assurance Department
dishquality@echostar.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Tuesday, October 30, 2007 4:41 PM
To: Audio-Video-Quality
Cc: CEO
Subject: RE: Atlanta HD Locals Quality problems

I'm glad you are aware of the issues with the WSB-HD and WXIA-HD feeds, but this issue has been going on since this market was launched and we, 'the consumer', dont believe it should take 18 months to correct. I'd like to know what specific steps are being taken to address these issues because my dissatisfaction with the situaton increases each time a dropout or pixilation occurs and I know your competitors do not suffer from these types of quality issues.

Thomas xxxxxxxx
xxx-xxx-xxxx
Acct#xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)