Where is USB External Storage for the 942/ViP622?

At this point... whether or not this feature will ever be available is completely off my radar. If they do it, great. Otherwise, no big deal. Its just TV.

External Storage

I called about when and if we will ever see this function and was told not before Q4. Wasn't it supposed to be this summer? I am convinced we will never see this feature.

Brian

If the already working technology is released now, how will they get you to upgrade your receiver later when a new model is released?

If the already working technology is released now, how will they get you to upgrade your receiver later when a new model is released?

DISH makes money on Programming, not on hardware. It suits DISH best if everyone keeps paying their bills and keeps the receiver they have. The only reason DISH wants anyone to upgrade their hardware is to sell them more programming (HD, DVR service).

DISH makes money on Programming, not on hardware. It suits DISH best if everyone keeps paying their bills and keeps the receiver they have. The only reason DISH wants anyone to upgrade their hardware is to sell them more programming (HD, DVR service).

So what programming is the 722 for?

So what programming is the 722 for?

Are you being funny?

I hope I didn't infer that DISH would never make different model receivers after the 622. DISH would rather the NEW receivers go to NEW customers or to customers currently using the 500 series.
What do you think the mark-up on a receiver is compared to the mark-up on programming?

Are you being funny?

I hope I didn't infer that DISH would never make different model receivers after the 622. DISH would rather the NEW receivers go to NEW customers or to customers currently using the 500 series.
What do you think the mark-up on a receiver is compared to the mark-up on programming?

Yes, I realize that programming is the cash cow. Dishes history of hardware however is filled with new features coming only to the new receivers. I had to move from the 721 to the 942 to the 622 as a perfect example.

So, yes, I was being funny but based on reality.

Yes, I realize that programming is the cash cow. Dishes history of hardware however is filled with new features coming only to the new receivers. I had to move from the 721 to the 942 to the 622 as a perfect example.

So, yes, I was being funny but based on reality.
Well the updating of receivers is only getting started as Charlie wants to get rid of mpeg2. :up
But I truly believe DISH doesn't want you to trash the receiver you currently have to get a new feature or 2. If a current receiver could be upgraded to do mpeg4 or HD, DISH would much rather go that route. That said, it wouldn't surprise me if the mpeg2 only receivers don't see another feature added as they move subs to mpeg4.
DISH's biggest problem is their software division SUCKS. Features are slow to materialize and consistent release schedules have disappeared. If I were Charlie I would have lost a boot by now. ;)

500 GB enclosed hardrives can be had for a lot less, unless Iomega name means that much to someone.

This may be a stupid question, but has anyone tried to hook up an external hard drive to their 622 lately? There is now an option under record plus to turn on external recording so I was just wondering. Thx

This may be a stupid question, but has anyone tried to hook up an external hard drive to their 622 lately? There is now an option under record plus to turn on external recording so I was just wondering. Thx

Yes, as a matter of fact, I have plugged two different hard disks into the USB port, drives I use at work, and the 622 says that they are unrecognized.

Bummer....

I have a 500gb external waiting in the wings for this to be activated, the people at dish are such teases.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts