Where is USB External Storage for the 942/ViP622?

I saw a few posts about it, but they were all on the 522. I thought maybe there was a difference on the 622. I just tired an ext3 formatted drive, and it doesn't even recognize it... Oh well, no big deal.

They already have it working but it hasn't been released. Again, it will be released "very soon".:)

That should be Dish Network's slogan.

Probably not until summer for External HDD; pretty sure that's what they said at CES and in a tech chat. :(

If the 4.01 software turns out to not have major problems, it might speed it up. If they have to spend huge amount of time fixing 4.01, it would undoubtedly slow things down.

I wonder if E*'s calendar is different than the one the rest of the World uses. That "very soon" statement comes from everyone at E*, they must be looking at a different calendar.

I picked up a 500GB eSata/USB drive on sale yesterday

I didn't realize until this weekend just how cheap an external 500GB hard drive is.

I went ahead and paid a little more to future proof it by buying an eSata/USB drive. I don't want to buy ATA devices anymore.

Not for use with Dish this time, but for backups of my Windows computer. I already have a 300GB drive for Linux.

If the Dish deal is good enough, I'll buy another 500GB drive for offloading shows.

Dish would sell a boatload of these "external storage devices" if they'd hurry the hell up and make them available.

I've been out of the loop for awhile.

Is this thing going to be a proprietary enclosure that we can slam our own bare drives into or is it going to include the drive?

I'd be nice if it were a proprietary enclosure with Dish's firmware and space for two drives. That way I could stick two 500 GB drives in that puppy for a full terabyte of storage -- which we will need once all the most popular channels go HD.

Dish would sell a boatload of these "external storage devices" if they'd hurry the hell up and make them available.

I've been out of the loop for awhile.

Is this thing going to be a proprietary enclosure that we can slam our own bare drives into or is it going to include the drive?

I'd be nice if it were a proprietary enclosure with Dish's firmware and space for two drives. That way I could stick two 500 GB drives in that puppy for a full terabyte of storage -- which we will need once all the most popular channels go HD.

At CES they said you could use any External USB hard drive. I assume you can also use a External USB Enclosure for a internal drive. Check out the CES stuff, there is a video demo.

I thought about jumping on the 500gb bandwagon, but the way things are going, if I wait for the upgrade to be relased by Dish, we may be up to 1TB for $150 by then :)

Last edited:
I'm being patient too. When they enable it, then I'll buy a drive...in the meantime, the capacity continues to increase and the prices continue to decrease. :)

Me too - and good plan!

I already have a 320Gb WD drive; and a 200Gb internal drive in an external enclosure, but I will go for a 500GB drive when the external support finally arrives.

I hope they allow you to use more than one external hard drive with the receiver(s) that way when I fill one up I can put another one on it. I could eliminate another receiver and save $12 per month and get some money out of the receiver (which would make up for the purchase of the receiver and external hard drives and their access fee they are going to charge).

I thought about jumping on the 500gb bandwagon, but the way things are going, if I wait for the upgrade to be relased by Dish, we may be up to 1TB for $150 by then :)
At the last Tech. Chat, they indicated that 1TB drive would not be supported at this time. The largest they were supporting were 750GB IIRC....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)