Where to aim the 10' C-band Dish I bought today?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

N6BY

Geek
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 1, 2006
Roseville, CA 121W
I purchased a 10' mesh dish, C-Band LNB, and an actuator (probably not working) today for $75 total.

The only location in my backyard where my wife says I can put it is in the corner. My neighbor has some trees spaced about 20 feet apart that will limit my line of sight of the southern sky to about 15 degrees horizontally.

I need to decide where exactly in the corner of the yard to place the thing, and where I put it will determine which satellites I will be able to get.

So my question is, which C-Band satellites do you guys aim at the most? Which ones have the most channels and are the most interesting?

I'm in California (approx 120 degrees longitude), so I could probably locate the dish to get a 15 degree range of birds somewhere between about 90W and 150W. For example, depending on where I put the pole, I will be able to get 90W to 105W, or 105W to 120W, or 120W to 135W, etc. I hope this makes sense.

I appreciate any input you guys have, thanks.

Brett

C Band is easy compared to Ku, and you may even get a signal through the trees.
Set it up to your True South Sat, if you can, and get it tracking the arc.
Even if the actuator is not working, you can release the clamp and slide the Arm to move to any Sat you can see.

I spend most of the time on AMC18 (W5) at 105° with my 922. My 905 visits 135°, 133°, 131° regularly.

On the low end of my arc there are some trees that have grown over the past 20 years since installing the dish. So far has not been an issue with the C band signal with a 10' dish.

Before you pick a dish location I think you need to figure out just what shows you want to watch and this will help you determine the satellites you need to get, otherwise you may end up just wasting your time.
Check out the online C-Band programmers websites which have the channels and satellite you will need to receive.

i wount even bother to do an install if it was only 15 degrees...

push it up to 65 degrees somehow (taller pole or remove tree) and then you can get 72-137.

You didn't say what equipment you'll be using. Let us know. Motorola? FTA?

Also, just for general principles, I'd get a compass, and adjusted for magnetic deviation, I'd find the spot in my yard that has the biggest view of the arc. Even at due south, it'll likely be up a lot higher in the sky than you think. I'd consider, if I had to, putting the dish up higher a few feet to get the best view.

Also think about either keeping your cables above ground or running them through pvc conduits. The guy I got my (free) Birdview solid from probably would still be using it if the gophers hadn't chewed his in-ground cables up so many times. pvc conduit is cheap.

Reconsider

Hey, just tell the wifey that she will get her favorite shows if you plant it where you can get the full arc then when she discovers that she doesn't get her shows it will be too late. :eek:

No, really... it all depends on what you want from it and what you do with it, just remember you DON'T want to rush into it and plant it until you know exactly what you'll get from it because once it's in the ground you won't want to move it. Don't do something that you'll regret later, you can always buy the wife some flowers and wash the dishes for a month in exchange for your choice of location.

I myself just made my 8' stationary and have it parked between the 99°W & 101°W where I get my favorite stations. My two favs just happen to have strong enough signals to get stable video from both even if the dish is not on center with either sat. It's all experimental my friend but be sure about the location. :D

Good luck and enjoy.

Hey, just tell the wifey that she will get her favorite shows if you plant it where you can get the full arc then when she discovers that she doesn't get her shows it will be too late. :eek:

It's all experimental my friend but be sure about the location. :D

Good luck and enjoy.

Better to ask forgivness than to ask permission:)

pick a good spot

Also, just for general principles, I'd get a compass, and adjusted for magnetic deviation, I'd find the spot in my yard that has the biggest view of the arc. Even at due south, it'll likely be up a lot higher in the sky than you think. I'd consider, if I had to, putting the dish up higher a few feet to get the best view.
Yes , I'm with Lone Cloud on this matter - :up

I'd get a list of satellite locations in the sky.
This site'll give you a PDF file, if you like. Print several copies for the ideas below.
Then, with your compass corrected for local magnetic deviation, pick a place on your yard to consider.
Use just one of the printouts, and sight with the compass and inclinometer* to see if you have line of sight to the satellite.
Mark each bird with with success or failure.

Then, select a new location, a new printout, and repeat the operation.
When finished, sit down and look over your marked up printouts.

Generally speaking, moving the dish to the northern-most part of the property, gives you the best view over tall things to the south.
If that's in the middle of your vegetable garden, well at least the digging will be easy. :cool:
Don't be afraid to ask the neighbors if they'd like to remove or trim their trees.
As a very last resort, you could offer to have it done.

* See the home-made inclinometer ideas below for doing your site survey.

ThisBUDsForYou and his soda straw inclinometer
http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-ai...a-straw-inclinometer-line-sight-pictures.html
Delta Charlie had some variation on the idea, too
http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/146479-15-min-duct-tape-elevation-gauge.html

A General Instrument Super 350i was included along with the 10 foot dish. I also have a 90 cm (KU band) dish on a tripod that I can use for testing a given location for satellite line of sight.

I am encouraged to hear that a 10 foot C-Band Dish can get signal through trees. I guess the lower frequency helps.

What I'd like to get are East coast networks (ABC, NBC, CBS) , so I can watch shows like The Tonight Show at 8:30 instead of 11:30.

Today my son and I dug out the seller's metal post. He had the pole embedded in a 3 foot diameter section of the hardest concrete I've ever had to deal with. There was about 600 pounds of concrete. We had to rent a jack-hammer to break away all the concrete to extract the metal pole. He had it in the middle of his yard (he's not married). Its only 7 feet long, so I'm thinking I might want to get a longer one to get a wider horizontal range. Either that or convince my wife to plant the pole in the north end of the yard.

The chance of convincing both neighbors to cut down their trees is nil.

I have looked at the satellite list at lyngsat.com. There are quite a few up there. Which one would give me the East coast networks?

Brett

"I am encouraged to hear that a 10 foot C-Band Dish can get signal through trees. I guess the lower frequency helps"

Your statement about trees is not at all correct. ...C-Band/ KU signals will not pass through tree leaves, maybe you can get a signal over the top at least until the trees grows taller or leaves fall off.
Also unless you have a FTA receiver your not going to find much on KU to set a dish up with, you'll need to be able to get a C-Band channel and you my find that a programmer may not even sell you the networks you want on the C-band, your best hope is with the FTA channels.

Sounds like you might be in the Pacific time zone. So am I. I get 99w. It has the standard def networks for New York broadcast to the Caribbean Two or three hidef stations if you have an HD receiver. 720p 105 and 97 w also have NBC and CBS hidef

The little dish idea is a good one, if you can set it up here and there and test which sats you can see. Most of the satellites are both C and Ku.

If I had my choice, and assuming FTA equipment, I'd try to get these: 87w,91w, 97w, 99w, 105w, 121w, 127w, 133w. That list might change if you had a C/Ku lnb on there, but for C only, I'd try to get those. A lot of TV

Yes, I'm in California (I call it Crowdafornia). Its good to know those channels are in English. I will make sure that the big dish is positioned to receive 99W.

Now I'm wondering if I'll need a new HD C-Band receiver after Feb 17th? Or will they just broadcast digital SD at 480i resolution?

Any recommendations on the receiver?

The only location in my backyard where my wife says I can put it is in the corner.

I'm not married, but C band is important. I personally find satellite dishes and other antennas cool looking. If it is your house, you own the property, just put your foot down. :p

You select the location of a satellite dish not by how it looks but where you can receive signals the best. You don't want reception issues, you want trouble free operation. Because once it's planted in concrete, it will be very difficult to relocate. You want it where you'll have a clear view. And even C band has issues going through trees, especially the leaves. Just put it the dish where it'll have the best view and put your foot down! :p

Jonathan

....Now I'm wondering if I'll need a new HD C-Band receiver after Feb 17th? Or will they just broadcast digital SD at 480i resolution?

Any recommendations on the receiver?

The Feb 17 digital transition is for over-the-air terrestrial broadcast signals only, satellite signals will not be affected by that.

For SD receivers:

Coolsat 5K & 6K
Visionsat IV-200 (also has PVR capabilities)
Fortec Mercury II (now known as "Dynamic")
Pansat & Traxis also have some models that I have seen good comments on.

There are other receivers that will do HD....and another subset of that group that will do DVB-S2 also. Look in the FTA equipment reviews forum, some great info there.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts