Where to begin?

walt_mink

Original poster
Dec 29, 2005
Hi all,
First, please accept my apologies for being completely ignorant on this topic. I am the network systems engineer for an organ donation organization here in the Northwest. Because of my good track record of implementing new server systems the management has decided that it wouldn't be too hard for me to figure out satellite systems:rolleyes:.
Anyway, the folks here would like to participate in some collaborative events with the other organ folks worldwide. I need to figure out how to get us there. Quality of the picture and sound is of the utmost importance to us. Here are the coordinates as they were given to me for the last event:
AMC 02 (KU) / Transponder 01 - 36 MHZ Analog (In The Clear)
Downlink Frequency 11720 Vertical
85 degrees West
Seems to be pretty basic, but if I am going to go through all the trouble to get a dish installed on my building then I want it to be versatile - getting other broadcasts. What kind of hardware should I be looking for? Should I be looking at complete systems like you can buy from skyvision, or should I be hunting down the parts piece work? As you can guess from my job, I'm no slouch technically, but this is totally different world to me. Is there some required reading that I should take in before I go any further? Your advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks very much,
Walt_Mink

walt_mink said:
What kind of hardware should I be looking for?
Walt_Mink

Hi Walt;

For industrial reception the following guys are good and economical. They'll talk you through the process.

http://www.dawnsat.com

The questions that you should think about are:

Do you want both C and Ku band? Probably.
You will likely want analog and digital capability.
Do you want 2 polarizations at the same time or will a rotating feedhorn work for you? Up to you.
Do you need a steerable dish? Probably.
Make sure that you get an antenna large enough for a good picture. Your location matters, but 3 meters is generally a good size.
The dish should be less than 200' from the receiver. Longer runs require amplifers, fiber optic connections, or remote receivers.
Does it snow where you live? Consider an offset fed dish, the snow won't accumulate. On a conventional dish you can brush out the snow manually, use heater type de-icing equipment, or install a snow cover. Wet snow is the worst, dry snow may not matter at all.

You may be able to get away with high end consumer equipment, but you should learn the limitations before you invest.

walt_mink said:
Hi all,
First, please accept my apologies for being completely ignorant on this topic. I am the network systems engineer for an organ donation organization here in the Northwest. Because of my good track record of implementing new server systems the management has decided that it wouldn't be too hard for me to figure out satellite systems:rolleyes:.
Anyway, the folks here would like to participate in some collaborative events with the other organ folks worldwide. I need to figure out how to get us there. Quality of the picture and sound is of the utmost importance to us. Here are the coordinates as they were given to me for the last event:
AMC 02 (KU) / Transponder 01 - 36 MHZ Analog (In The Clear)
Downlink Frequency 11720 Vertical
85 degrees West
Seems to be pretty basic, but if I am going to go through all the trouble to get a dish installed on my building then I want it to be versatile - getting other broadcasts. What kind of hardware should I be looking for? Should I be looking at complete systems like you can buy from skyvision, or should I be hunting down the parts piece work? As you can guess from my job, I'm no slouch technically, but this is totally different world to me. Is there some required reading that I should take in before I go any further? Your advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks very much,
Walt_Mink

Sounds like you need a basic FTA system.
You probably will only need a Ku LNB and you will not likely need a rotating dish if you will only be using AMC 2.
Again sounds like you will not need a complicated setup the best thing I can tell you is to PM iceberg or psb

http://www.satelliteguys.us/member.php?find=lastposter&t=50210
for Iceberg

http://www.satelliteguys.us/member.php?find=lastposter&t=50535
for PSB

one of these two should be able to set you right up.

Tower Guy said:
Hi Walt;
For industrial reception the following guys are good and economical. They'll talk you through the process.
http://www.dawnsat.com
The questions that you should think about are:
Do you want both C and Ku band? Probably.
You will likely want analog and digital capability.
Do you want 2 polarizations at the same time or will a rotating feedhorn work for you? Up to you.
Do you need a steerable dish? Probably.
Make sure that you get an antenna large enough for a good picture. Your location matters, but 3 meters is generally a good size.
The dish should be less than 200' from the receiver. Longer runs require amplifers, fiber optic connections, or remote receivers.
Does it snow where you live? Consider an offset fed dish, the snow won't accumulate. On a conventional dish you can brush out the snow manually, use heater type de-icing equipment, or install a snow cover. Wet snow is the worst, dry snow may not matter at all.
You may be able to get away with high end consumer equipment, but you should learn the limitations before you invest.

Tower Guy,

Thanks for the info and the link - I'll give them a call when I get a bit further down the road on this. Can you explain to me the differences in polarization methods? Also, I know the two head honchos wanted to get Dish in their offices - can I combine them with this dish, or would I be better off getting them a different system? There's no snow here, but we do get one heck of a lot of rain.

Thanks again for the info,
Walt_Mink

The Tate said:
Sounds like you need a basic FTA system.
You probably will only need a Ku LNB and you will not likely need a rotating dish if you will only be using AMC 2.
Again sounds like you will not need a complicated setup the best thing I can tell you is to PM iceberg or psb
http://www.satelliteguys.us/member.php?find=lastposter&t=50210
for Iceberg
http://www.satelliteguys.us/member.php?find=lastposter&t=50535
for PSB
one of these two should be able to set you right up.

I was coming to the same conclusion about the non-rotating dish initially, but I've been directed to make the system "very flexible" and, frankly, it'll need to be really expensive in order to get approved. :hungry: It's just the way of this company.

walt_mink said:
I was coming to the same conclusion about the non-rotating dish initially, but I've been directed to make the system "very flexible" and, frankly, it'll need to be really expensive in order to get approved. :hungry: It's just the way of this company.

Your saying they company does not care how much it spends. :D

Spend away my freind. Spend away.

And by the way :welcome

walt_mink said:
Tower Guy,
Thanks for the info and the link - I'll give them a call when I get a bit further down the road on this. Can you explain to me the differences in polarization methods? Also, I know the two head honchos wanted to get Dish in their offices - can I combine them with this dish, or would I be better off getting them a different system? There's no snow here, but we do get one heck of a lot of rain.
Thanks again for the info,
Walt_Mink

Polarization; DBS satellites use circular; both left and right handed. Commercial satellites use linear, both Horizontal and Vertical. Plan on a four port receive only feed with 4 LNB's; 2 for C band and 2 for Ku band. Get digital ready LNB's, they have a more stable local oscillator.

Antennas; You should get two antennas, one for DBS fixed on Dish, and one much larger antenna for commercial satellites. A larger antenna will compensate for rain on C band. Heavy rain will always fade Ku band.

Plan for a conduit full of coax and control cable. You're up to 6 runs of coax so far. When Dish does HD, who knows where the multiswitch will be. You'll always want more than you planned for.

The Tate said:
Your saying they company does not care how much it spends. :D
Spend away my freind. Spend away.
And by the way :welcome

Yeah, that's basically the deal. The CEO has a bit of a complex when it comes to toys - it has to be the biggest and baddest on the block. No complaints from me - I like toys. You guys should see my server room:heart Thanks for the welcome!

Tower Guy said:
Polarization; DBS satellites use circular; both left and right handed. Commercial satellites use linear, both Horizontal and Vertical. Plan on a four port receive only feed with 4 LNB's; 2 for C band and 2 for Ku band. Get digital ready LNB's, they have a more stable local oscillator.
Antennas; You should get two antennas, one for DBS fixed on Dish, and one much larger antenna for commercial satellites. A larger antenna will compensate for rain on C band. Heavy rain will always fade Ku band.
Plan for a conduit full of coax and control cable. You're up to 6 runs of coax so far. When Dish does HD, who knows where the multiswitch will be. You'll always want more than you planned for.

Good to know. Geeze - I knew there was a reason I installed such a huge conduit from the roof ... now I'm wishing it was more huge. I'm guessing I should put a terrestrial antenna on the roof while I'm up there to grab local HD channels too. Man, this joint is going to look like NASA gone awry soon:D. I must say ... I'm getting pretty stoked about this!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)