Where to buy a fta receiver that can do it all?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

glover31

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 7, 2013
Friendship New York
Hello

Been a while...
Wife divorcing me. Such a terrible time

any way

A friend of mine in hamondsport ny has got his hands on a large c-band dish. He used to have c-band satellite YEARS ago. I was telling him about fta. KU band. But he was interested in both c and ku. Then in discussion I told him about iptv. dvr "pause" function. He is a farmer and this would be really helpful to him.
Now.. He has reception of a few channels over a regular old house antenna. He does not want to give that up. Nore a bunch of boxes. So I am looking to find for him a FTA receiver that can do it all. IPTV, FTA both ku and c-band. AND over the air 'OTA'.
I am not finding that. Am I looking in the wrong place?
Now currently. The BUD is not up yet. And the plan is to have a small 36'' geo sat near by pointed to galaxy 19.
Just a regular c-band bud on the big dish hopefully. personally I have only done up to a 4 foot motorized ku. So a stretch for me too.
So for starters. Can anyone point me in the right direction for a satellite receiver that does it all.
Again, IPTV, KU, C,OTA, DVR- possibly netflix or hulu but not necessary.

hang in there man
it may sound hard to believe, but a year from now you will probably laugh to yourself and think about how your better off.
i've been there myself, and am very happily single now.
if shes willing to bail out on you, she probably had very little consideration for your feelings before.
and being alone is MUCH better than being in a one sided relationship.
my thoughts and prayers are with ya,
Dennis

It was my understanding quite a long time ago that there was a fta receiver that had the ability to get ota. May have possibly had an extra tuner. What I am saying is the ability to use the same receiver and remote to switch from satellite to antenna. So if I am not confused, does the SiliconDust OTA plug into the amiko a3? Or are we talking about turning off the amiko and using the silicon dust ota? Also will the Amika work by itself with c-band or will I need more equipment? How does it compare to an openbox s9? Other than the fact that open box s9 cant do internet or ota.

And thank you ynnedibanez. It has been tough. Its been 8 years married. I am the second husband. 9 years together. 13.5 years I have known her and the children altogether. I raised the kids from 3 and 5 up to 12 and 14. Girl and Boy. Boy is the oldest. We are Christians and should practice as such. I don't get this at all. We don't fight. We were church goers if you will. Pray. Raised the kids more sheltered to what the average kid would be exposed to. One day. I am getting removed by the sheriff and given a restraining order. That was may 7th of this year 2014. No answers. Nothing. I have gotten violated before every court visit so far. I have no rights to the kids. All I have is my clothes. I am driving the car titled to her and she drives the one titled to me. I cant go home. I cant go near her work. The children's school. Nothing. I cant even go to a ball or basket ball game. She had a restraining order on her ex that was very similar. I don't know what to do. I have stayed with a relative for 6 months now. And now I must move in with another. I have a knee problem I have to get operated on soon. My job is very limited on hours. Very tough. Another guy started moving in with his two kids 3 months after I was gone. Its not fair.
But thank you for your support.

My Fortec Star Mercury II has an ANT in and TV out connectors as well as the LNB in and IF out loop connectors on the back of the receiver. I never play with it much (got it when I bought a 2nd hand 76cm dish), but I assume this was before the Analog to Digital TV conversion so I doubt it would serve any real purpose today.

I totally agree. Get a separate receiver for OTA, then if one craps out, you still have some TV....

Although, most newer TV's have the ATSC Tuner built in, so maybe just connect the OTA Antenna directly to the TV..

Reactions: jorgek
It was my understanding quite a long time ago that there was a fta receiver that had the ability to get ota. May have possibly had an extra tuner. What I am saying is the ability to use the same receiver and remote to switch from satellite to antenna. So if I am not confused, does the SiliconDust OTA plug into the amiko a3? Or are we talking about turning off the amiko and using the silicon dust ota? Also will the Amika work by itself with c-band or will I need more equipment? How does it compare to an openbox s9? Other than the fact that open box s9 cant do internet or ota.

The SiliconDust connects to your home network, then the Amiko connects through the network to the SiliconDust. You go through menus on the Amiko to switch from watching FTA to watching OTA. The Amiko is fine on its own for Ku band, but for C-band you would need a dish mover such as a Titanium ASC1, V-box, G-box, or an old, dusty receiver.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)