Where to buy a Gbox dish mover?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

chadg2

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 2, 2006
Maiden Rock, WI
I've looked all over and the only place I can find to buy a G-box is sandoun.com Don't anyone else sell these, I can't find a (1) on ebay? I have the vbox and it's not accurate enough. It don't always land on the sweet spot on each bird. Using my 4dtv right now and that gets me much closer than the vbox. Thanks, Chad

Yep, you figured it out. But don't worry, Sadoun is a good guy. You can buy one from him and get good service after the sale as well.

I have no problem with Sadoun, but always like to make sure I'm getting the best deal on the same product. Thanks for your help. Chad

don't the G-box have (2) times the pulse counts? I have a 24" Von W. actuator and my 4dtv lands almost directly on target everytime. The vbox-x was always off a click or (2) on most satellites.

The Gbox counts by two's for every one pulse. Doesn't really improve accuracy. Just kind of a marketing gimmick. A more detailed pulse count has to come from the positioner. My Von W. has an optical sensor with 6 slits in the wheel, giving 6 pulses per rotation of the screw shaft. Older Von W. might only have 4 or even 2 reed switches. This may be an area you can improve. Does your 4dtv position more than one or two sats?

Another thought is what are you doing about the 5 volts needed by the actuator? Older receivers provided this. The newer V/G boxes do not. I'm using an old cell phone charger to provide 5 volts.

Last edited:
The Gbox counts by two's for every one pulse.
Doesn't really improve accuracy. Just kind of a marketing gimmick.
A more detailed pulse count has to come from the positioner.
Well, actually, the Gbox counts on the reed make (close) and again on the reed break (open).
Those are actually two different positions.
So, in effect, it's like doubling the number of magnets or optical slits.

See the review by Linuxman for more info.

Well, actually, the Gbox counts on the reed make (close) and again on the reed break (open).
Those are actually two different positions.
So, in effect, it's like doubling the number of magnets or optical slits.

See the review by Linuxman for more info.

Hmmnn...

So I have dollar bills going past me and I count one when the leading edge of the first bill come along, then two as the ending edge of the bill goes by. Do I have twice as much money at the end of the day?

When the Gbox is operating from the remote, for example, I see 2 steps for each push of the button. Working from the front buttons on the GBox itself, though, 1 step accuracy is possible. Of course, if you want to save money, move the dish manually and forget about an actuator. :) At one time, I was looking to try a manual crank setup, but I've been quite happy with the Gbox. The Vbox will probably work for you, too, and you can proud of the money you saved . We all have different priorities . :)

interesting, does anyone know if the vbox is more accurate with the front panel east & west buttons? I've always used the remote control to move east & west. Thanks.

As was described by Anole, a GBOX counts both the rising and falling edges (e.g. closing and opening of a reed switch). If these edges are equally spaced (like a square wave), you get a doubling of resolution, but not necessarily accuracy. However if your positioner emits short pulses, the benefits might be nil because the counts occur at nearly the same pointing position. All of my positioners happen to exhibit square waves when I scope them. Actual accuracy also is affected by factors not related to the controller, including mechanical slop, backlash (different count for the same position, depending on the direction of approach) and overrun (how far the positioner moves after the controller cuts the power).

I started with one VBOX and one GBOX. I now have one VBOX and seven GBOXes. Go figure.

was the reason to not buy another vbox accuracy or some other reason. I have a 24" von w. actuator with a magnetic wheel with about 8 round magnets around the wheel. I just installed a new sensor (2) wire and there is no slop in my 10foot Orbitron satellite dish at all. I need the accuracy for the S2 signals of my openbox S9. Using my 4dtv to move the dish, I would like to unplug and retire the beast. Just not happy with vbox. Don't understand the cost difference between the gbox vs. vbox!

The increased resolution of the GBOX was a major factor for me. Having four digits of readout compared to the VBOX's three was also important. There were other minor differences, but these were enough for me. On the other side of the coin, the components in the GBOX are rather flimsily mounted and two of mine suffered internal damage in shipment. I'm sure Sadoun would have replaced them, but it was easier for me to do the repairs. I still use my VBOX when I need to carry one on the roof for this specific reason.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts