Where to Start to Set Up a FTA Dish- I have absolutely no experience

Status
Please reply by conversation.

NewFtaUser

Original poster
May 29, 2011
California
Hello,

I would like to set up a dish that gets the most Arabic channels. I've done some searching online but I am not familiar with the materials mentioned so it seems a bit overwhelming. I'm hoping someone could provide me with guidance as to where to begin. Some materials that I do have from a previous satellite set up in my home are a small dish, a large dish and a 35-SDX100TG diplexer (I've attached the images below in case you want to take a look). I would greatly appreciate any information you guys provide.

Thank you

Attachments

• P1000237.JPG
    P1000237.JPG
    408.2 KB · Views: 186
  • P1000238.JPG
    P1000238.JPG
    507.1 KB · Views: 214
  • P1000236.JPG
    P1000236.JPG
    354.9 KB · Views: 199
  • P1000239.JPG
    P1000239.JPG
    292.1 KB · Views: 186
:welcome to SatelliteGuys!

Tons of information here on the site that will quickly get you up and running. You will need a 36" dish and linear type LNBF to receive these channels. Some of your equipment might be fine if the dish is about 36" and the LNBF is still working a linear type polarization. Does the LNBF (the electronics on the end of the bigger dish arm) have a label? If so, what is the specs? The other smaller dish and diplexer wont be too useful for this project.

The majority of channels in Arabic are on Galaxy19 satellite. Almost any MPEG2, FTA receiver will work, but you might wish to start out with a system that is trusted, reliable, easy to install and shipped with all necessary parts and supplies. The GEOSATpro 1 room system includes a 90cm dish and universal wall/roof mount, SL1 LNBF, DSR200c receiver, installation kit with all standard supplies for installing and grounding the system along with step by step instructions and aiming coordinates for your installation location.

Check out the system at: Satellite AV, LLC - Satellite Broadcaster Support and Equipment Distribution or the equipment in the eBay link in the signature below.

Last edited:
New,

I will verify as a 1 year user of this FTA thing, the GeoSatPro system I bought was perfect for a new user and works well. The seller, and everybody else in here will help to get you going with this system. Welcome!

Your dish network "dish 500" will not help you get Fta channels. However, it does appear the other dish u have MAY be for FTA. Is the no name dish u have at least 33"? Also, u have to have your dish free of obstructions, looks like you may need to do some gardening.

I would suggest u check your location on dishpointer.com and see if you have a clear line of sight for 97w. Enter your address on the first line and set up the satellite drop down menu for 97w. As someone else pointed out to you, 97w carries the bulk of middle eastern programming.

SatteliteAV, it looks like I will have to start from scratch, my large dish is 32 inches. I can't see any writing on the dish, but I'm guessing that it's of no use at this point.

Pixl, thank you for the welcome, I'm really excited to get this project going.

Oceansatellite, I measured the dish to be 32 inches, I guess that means I need a new one. Thank you for the dishpointer link, it works very well.

A 32-inch dish is NOT useless! I started with a 30" dish. (Actually, I started with an 18" dish, but I knew what I was doing. If you don't, it's not going to work.) A 30" dish got me everything on 97W at the time, although both it and one of the neighboring satellites have become more crowded since then. (A dish smaller than 30" may, or may not, pick up interference from satellites less than 4 degrees apart.) Also, I don't know how the signal strength compares between here and California. But, it's worth a try. In fact, the LNB on your 32-inch dish appears to be an FTA-type LNB, not a Dish Network LNB. You can tell because it's in a circular clamp rather than in an oversized plastic housing plugged into the end of the arm. You should try to determine whether it's already pointing at 97W, since that's where most of the Arabic channels are. (If the previous owner was into Spanish channels, it's probably nearby at 93W; Chinese, 95W; Dutch, 101W; Christian fundamentalist, guess what, 97W or 101W!) If so, you could get probably the cheapest FTA receiver you could find, on ebay or craigslist or wherever, hook it up, and you're ready to go. (You may need to do a bit of reprogramming if the previous owner was using it to steal Dish Network, but someone here can help you with that.)

Jim, thank you, I'm trying to make do with what I already have so I'm happy to hear that I can use my 32" dish. Other members have mentioned using GeoSatPro, is that the best? I see other brands such as sonicview, coolsat and pansat... if I buy the cheapest one on the market, will I have to replace it within a year? and when buying from ebay or craigslist, how do I ensure that I'm not buying a bad item, is there any way to know?

Thanks again

Jim, thank you, I'm trying to make do with what I already have so I'm happy to hear that I can use my 32" dish. Other members have mentioned using GeoSatPro, is that the best? I see other brands such as sonicview, coolsat and pansat... if I buy the cheapest one on the market, will I have to replace it within a year? and when buying from ebay or craigslist, how do I ensure that I'm not buying a bad item, is there any way to know?

Thanks again

Sonicview and Coolsat are both out of business and all three were successfully sued by Dish Network for products that were used for theft of services. These receivers are no longer capable of theft of service, so they are very inexpensive as the owners usually have no more use for them. You will get different answers from different members on recommendations for specific receivers, but I would suggest that of these three manufacturers, a Coolsat 5000 would be a good inexpensive receiver for the Arabic channels on Galaxy19. You can always upgrade to a newer model with more bells and whistles like DVR and HD functions. I wouldn't pay more than $35 for a used Coolsat on eBay and maybe include free shipping!

Did you have a chance to look at the LNBF on the 32" dish to see if it has any model numbers or specs? If no model or specs, I would suggest buying a new Standard / Linear LNBF since they are so inexpensive. Without specs on the existing LNBF it is not possible to determine if the unit is compatible or not. There are many LNBFs out theire that mount with the circular clamp, but are circular polarity for the Dish Network, Bell and DirecTVsatellites.

The 32" dish will be the minimum size to receive programming. Be aware that several transponders on Galaxy19 will receive interference from an adjacent satellite with this smaller dish. A quality 90cm (36") dish is the minimum size to resolve to 2 degree satellite spacing.

if I buy the cheapest one on the market, will I have to replace it within a year?

Do you mean replace because it breaks, or replace because it's obsolete?

In terms of breakage, I seem to remember reading that there have been a few models with notoriously bad power supply sections. Easy to fix if you can fix your own electronics, but still, you shouldn't have to. Someone with experience with them will have to tell you which ones it was.

On the other hand, I don't foresee a mass movement of existing channels, and especially free channels, to any transmission format that a cheap receiver can't receive. It's true that the Thai channels on 101W did recently change formats, but most of them had only been on a little while in the old format, plus I keep hearing that it's intended to become a subscription package.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)