Where's the 3D Channels DISH!!???

Hit the wrong key. As I was saying the next 922 software is supposed to support 3D. The current version has 3D button on the status page. Maybe soon LOL.

Sent from my EVO with Tapatalk

Yes 3D is coming to DISH, but the rumor is it will be in the form of 3D On Demand content. No live 3D channel at this time.

We will hear more at CES I am sure.

Slamminc11 said:
Hey Cool, another 3D thread! :rolleyes:

I thought we had a lot of recurring topics here. Then I went to a cruise site. They have the same questions starting new threads repeated every few hours. Nobody scans previous threads or searches.

Great dumb 3d that looks like a kids picture book pop up not real.

During a superball 3d party will you spend $1000.00 so everyone can watch 3d?

Until 3d can be done without glasses it is a rip off.

3D IS the future. You can buy universal 3D glasses now, so you can bring them to your friends house!

3D Is not a rip off. Those of us that want It, can buy It. Those who don't, please don't troll.

I love my 3DTV!

I do too. D* has the only full time 3d channel that I'm aware of. Comcast you can atleast pull on demand, and they show stuff from Versus in 3D.

While comcast's does have two channels up (their 3d channel and ESPN3D) they are in slates for most of the time. I really like what D* did with N3D. I cant wait to see black ops in 3D, but my wife is making me wait until Christmas before i can play!

Not ready

It's not trolling to express the opinion that you don't care about it. I feel that at present it's not ready for prime time. It's the having to wear the glasses and the fact that the pictures just aren't that great. I have a friend that has patented holographic and is working on that coming out. Now that is real 3D not what they are pushing right now.

3D IS the future. You can buy universal 3D glasses now, so you can bring them to your friends house!

3D Is not a rip off. Those of us that want It, can buy It. Those who don't, please don't troll.

So, the universal 3d glasses can adjust to each of the manufacturers' 3D TV's? This is a crucial attribute to the best possible 3D experience, and if not in sync with that particular HDTV "brand", may result in even a noticeably negative 3D experience. How much do they cost and can we get enough for everyone in the family and guests to use all at the same time and from many different angles as we don't want too many people sitting on each others lap?

Sorry but far too many of the masses are underwhelmed by 3DTV. The most recent poll cited by CNET shows that the vast majority of people who have seen it, like it, but aren't in the least motivated to get a 3DTV, nor care for the additional cost of the glasses. In other words: 3DTV is nice, but HDTV is good enough for Joe Blow and Joe Sixpack. Consider how painfully SLOW Blu-ray is being adopted by the masses vs. DVD given the same period of availability to the market. Far too many people--even with HDTV's--feel that, while Blu-ray provides a superior PQ, good ol' DVD is "good enugh" for them, and they aren't interested in a Blu-ray player. I support the whole notion of Blu-ray, and even to lesser degree, 3DTV, but the market says otherwise. Also, the broadcasters and producers of TV content have to make yet another MASSIVE investment into a new technology just after having spent BILLIONS upgrading to HDTV. Sorry, but those 3DTV cameras are ridiculously prohibitive, and that fact is that for 3DTV to be accepted by the market, it is the TV content that drives the market.

I really do feel that 3DTV is going to be the Quadraphonic sound of the 21st century: far too soon a major change requiring too big an investment (the cost of the glasses and not having enough of them so that all can watch 3DTV at the same time--football parties or a small group to watch a movie?) after too many NON-3D Blu-ray players out that now require those early adopters to spend MORE MONEY replacing them with 3D versions, who feel that current Blu-ray is just fine. Just because it is better doesn't mean the market will buy it. The masses aren't nearly as affluent as the people on this board. And the fact that almost all flat screens next year will have 3DTV already built in doesn't mean people are going to use that function. Good heavens, look at a anther poll cited by CNET confirming that most people who own HDTV's actually either have NO HDTV service at all, or watch the majority of content is Stand Def.

If a high level of 3DTV experience can be achieved without the glasses (and the same poll cited by CNET--if I correctly remember--cited the glasses themselves being an impediment to adopting 3DTV), then it may really happen. However, if Rupert and Les and all the other TV folks aren't willing to spend BILLIONS MORE just after having (reluctantly in the case of FOX--the OTA TV network) spent just that the day before yesterday for the HD upgrade, then 3DTV is DOA or at least on the same shelf with DEEP COLOR: there for the taking, but will it ever be implemented in large scale, or it will A LOT LONGER than the 3DTV boosters would hope. Yes, it is the future of TV, but that future could be 6-10 years out for sufficient adoption by the masses. We shall have to wait and see.

VOD is a technology from the 1980's, but the hugely high cost of the server and infrastructure technology of the era (and lack of competition) meant that VOD became a reality ONLY in the 21st century. Content providers and owners at not looking for more ways to SPEND money with far too little return.

Please remember, it is the folks who shop Wall Mart not the affluent (yes, I know some affluent folks do shop Wall Mart, but you get the point), who determine a technologies' success or adoption. Flat screen is beloved by the Wall Mart folks because of its form and not necessarily because it can display HD.

Last edited: