Where's the Sling Extender?

mfoster711

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 8, 2010
College Station, Tx
Since I haven't seen anything posted on it in awhile, I thought I would ask.....Any news on the Sling Extender being released "soon".

I am just about convinced it will never see the light of day. I am guessing that for some reason Dish is shelving the product. The best theory I have is that Dish knows once the XiP receivers come it the Extender is really not needed. That might also explain why they are giving away the Sling adapter.

I think that like the new XIP Receivers , the sling extender will be delayed, AGAIN, if not EVER released at all. The whole sling thing has turned out to be a lot of promises and no real delivery, at least in regards to hd on a second tv in your home. Now if you have the tablet or lap top and you want to watch on the computer , sling will work ,but the majority of people I know want HD on another tv in their home without paying another additional receiver fee. The whole reason I wanted the 922 was for hd on a 2nd tv in my home. I didn't really care about watching hd on the computer. I don't own a laptop/ tablet and don't watch tv on my cell phone either. DISH has spent way too much time trying to get the sling extender to market.

Early March, I installed my neighbors system. 2hd tvs, 1 722 with the intention on getting the sling adapter "within a few months"...as that is what I was reading here and they were telling us in the weekly meetings. Last night he came over complaining and wondering where this sling adapter is coming. He is rather upset its a lost cause. Im sure a lot of customers are...

Early March, I installed my neighbors system. 2hd tvs, 1 722 with the intention on getting the sling adapter "within a few months"...as that is what I was reading here and they were telling us in the weekly meetings. Last night he came over complaining and wondering where this sling adapter is coming. He is rather upset its a lost cause. Im sure a lot of customers are...

I never trusted Dish and used a $14 HDMI to Cat6 converter for TV2. It has never given me one single problem and is available at Monoprice. It is about a 75 foot run and I used two shielded Cat 6 Cables (If you go this route, use shielded, and I strongly recommend Cat6 over Cat5e).

I never trusted Dish and used a $14 HDMI to Cat6 converter for TV2. It has never given me one single problem and is available at Monoprice. It is about a 75 foot run and I used two shielded Cat 6 Cables (If you go this route, use shielded, and I strongly recommend Cat6 over Cat5e).

that's great if your house is wired or you can drill holes...

that's great if your house is wired or you can drill holes...

Exactly. The main reason I wanted it was because I have no cable run the other rooms in my house. I have a wireless transmitter I use now but it was really expensive. It transmits side 1 and 2 for me.

I had Dish installed 22 months ago. Soon after that I was excited about the prospects of the "soon to be released" Sling Adapter/Extender. In two months if there still is no Extender I am seriously considering a move to DirecTV, who does have an actual, available whole house option. It wouldn't be hard to take significantly lower bills either.

I had Dish installed 22 months ago. Soon after that I was excited about the prospects of the "soon to be released" Sling Adapter/Extender. In two months if there still is no Extender I am seriously considering a move to DirecTV, who does have an actual, available whole house option. It wouldn't be hard to take significantly lower bills either.

I can understand your feelings. If Dish ever gets their new new whole home setup out the door and it works, I think it will be head and shoulders above Direct's. The problem is they have a poor track record of actually getting announced stuff out the door as the sling extender demonstrates.

I can understand your feelings. If Dish ever gets their new new whole home setup out the door and it works, I think it will be head and shoulders above Direct's. The problem is they have a poor track record of actually getting announced stuff out the door as the sling extender demonstrates.
It's hard to tell. You have to actually exist to be head and shoulders above anything.

I probably spend too much regarding the type of reciever configuration through Dish. I hear people talk about TV2 all of the time but every reciever I have purchased since the dual tuner scenario was launched, I always am not satisfied with not having a two tuner setup for each TV I have. Once Dish got away from the single tuner days which locked your viewing into having to watch the channel being recorded at the time; the only exception being to watch a recorded show on the DVR. I like to be able to have my TVs record a selection and change to another live channel to view simultaneously. When I see these "whole house recievers", I envision not being able to change channels while recording on my TV assuming the "Whole House" isnt going to have 8 or 10 tuners - probably 4?? If you have 4 sets then I would rather stick with my 922 for one of my TV sets, my 722 for another set, etc.

I probably spend too much regarding the type of reciever configuration through Dish. I hear people talk about TV2 all of the time but every reciever I have purchased since the dual tuner scenario was launched, I always am not satisfied with not having a two tuner setup for each TV I have. Once Dish got away from the single tuner days which locked your viewing into having to watch the channel being recorded at the time; the only exception being to watch a recorded show on the DVR. I like to be able to have my TVs record a selection and change to another live channel to view simultaneously. When I see these "whole house recievers", I envision not being able to change channels while recording on my TV assuming the "Whole House" isnt going to have 8 or 10 tuners - probably 4?? If you have 4 sets then I would rather stick with my 922 for one of my TV sets, my 722 for another set, etc.

I think the 813 had 3 sat tuners and the ability to also record 2 OTA tuners with an external USB add-on OTA module. There probably isn't anything preventing having a second 813 receiver to add additional sat tuners, but we'll have to see it first to be able to tell what's what. Also if you had only one 813 and something happened to it, there would be no TV in your house. Of course if E* ends up charging hundreds of dollar for the thing, it'll end up cheaper using the one receiver per TV model.

Right now I have 3 receivers hooked up to 7 TV's. Until not long ago the 3 boxes were hooked up to 8 TV's. I went with Dish because of the dual tuner boxes. However, our situation is not what it was 2 years ago. At times during the past 2 years we have had up to 7 adults living in the house, with various children making stays between stints in the Peace Corps, college, weddings, etc. There are now just the two of us (and we have high hopes of keeping it that way), and the number of tuners no longer is so critical. Today, having access to the DVR is a higher priority. But I don't have time to watch enough TV to worry about recording more than 2 or 3 programs at a time. I have programs recorded on my 722 right now that I am sure I will never watch. Although if I could access them through another TV in the house I would probably watch more of them.

The 813 has 3 tuners and I believe will do 2 OTA tuners. Customers are suppose to be able to get up to two 813 receivers leased on an account for a total of 6 sat tuners and possibly 4 OTA tuners. That's per the info I received while at Team Summit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts