Which 4k to buy....Need opinion

george99

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 27, 2007
So I have an 8000 series Samsung 65 inch 1080P TV that I am going to be upgrading very soon to a 4k TV.
I am trying to decide between an LG OLED 65inch, or a different LG or Samsung high end model 75inch (non-OLED).

The OLED are just too much money for me to justify the 77 inch model. So its basically a question of which would you prefer? A 65 OLED or a 75 non-OLED.

Reactions: woj027
Actually, I think the one to buy is the one coming out in a year or two, after they have hopefully "standardized" WCG and HDR and Dolby Vision is widespread.

Now that I've got THAT out of my system, I'd go with the 75"/77", given the space being available.

Yep, love the 75" 940E. Buy a FALD if you can, which means stay away from 2017 Samsung altogether. FALD is much more capable with HDR POP.

Other than overall contrast ratio and view angle, the 940E is superior to the OLED. And a note on contrast, I watch in pitch black (HDR Blu-ray) and never say "I need my OLED". I do love my 65" E6 though, which is why I didn't sell it, kept it in another room :)

teachsac has the 940C and loves it too. The 75" WOW is very good.

Also if you care about Dolby Vision, I think it is only coming to the X1 Extreme models. Smooth Gradation is another feature I love so far, it really cleans up banding on sky, water and wall shots.

If 3D is or was ever a consideration for you, get a 2016 LG OLED C6 or better, or UH8500/9500.

I think given the choice between an OLED or a slightly larger non-OLED at about the same price, I would go with the OLED.

Thanks guys.
So The Sony models seem to be pretty popular. I think you guys talked me into a 75 instead of a 65 OLED. So I will look at the Sony models.

Why do you advise against Samsung? What about their QLED?

Its still sidelit, and you cant overcome that. The images I have seen with them up against other models is pretty bad. I mean if you never wanted to do dark room viewing they would be fine, but I watch a lot of content in dim and dark.

I think Samsung screwed up not making a FALD in 2017, and the reviewers have been pretty hard on them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)