Which Box To Pick For HD

djsebran

Original poster
Dec 7, 2005
I plan on subscibing to Dish within the next 3 months. I have (1) HD 62 inch tv and the rest are standard tv's. My question is which box will give the best picture quality on the HD tv for standard def stations? I am looking at a DVR so I would have a choice of either the VIP622 or ?525?. ALso on the 622 which would give better quality of SD, the HDMI port, or component?

You only have 2 choices for HDTV receivers the 211 for non DVR and the 622 for DVR. Go back and read DISH's website several times.

You are probably going to be disappointed with many of the SD channels no matter what, especially with the size of your set. It has nothing to do with "which box". SD, plus compression will look like S*^T depending on the channel compared to HD. However, they will look fine on your SD sets. That said, get the 622. HDMI or component...little or no difference. HDMI streamlines wiring since it is video and audio in one cable.

i dont think so, they had VIP 222. in the news for past 6 to 8 months. they should had that thing tested really good......... but than again you never know.

Agreed. I'd like to think that those customers who were chosen to "test" this unit 6 months ago along with the with elapsed time involved would have produced a superior unit! :D

I love my VIP622.... however I think for SD on my HD screen my old?? 625 (SD DVR) did a better job (along with letting my TV do the converting work).

However even the VIP622 my SD channels look better then what I use to get from my cable system...

Get either the 622...or depending on when you sub w/ Dish (and when the hardware actually ships), their higher capacity version (500GB) DVR, the 622-1 (or whatever it ends up being called). I rent one 622 and own a second...its been a fine machine. Not perfect. But damn fine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts