Which dish for self install?

Mister B

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jun 3, 2008
El Paso County Texas
I am just about ready to try this service and I would really like to buy my own dish and do a self install. I had several FTA dishes about 15 years ago and am sure I could still do it. How much signal gain could I expect in comparing the dish Orby supplies in their self install kit, the Winegard 30 inch dish and the GeoSat Pro 36 inch dish. Obviously larger is going to be better but I would not wish to stretch the budget or the limit of my physical ability needlessly.

Does any member know what outer diameter size pole I would need for this Winegard DS-2076 dish if I were to go with a pole mount rather than the supplied J-arm? I have "googled" all over with no success.

Does any member know what outer diameter size pole I would need for this Winegard DS-2076 dish if I were to go with a pole mount rather than the supplied J-arm? I have "googled" all over with no success.
Maybe you need to smack your computer. :D
Google returned several links when I Googled. :)

...31.5" X 34.3" inch dish, and does not come with an LNB. Made with Dual sided galvanized steel with a 1.66 inch universal mount....
Just go to your favorite hardware store and grab a chain-link fence post. 1.66 or 1 5/8.

Reactions: Skyscanner
A 1m Channel Master provided approx. 3dB gain over the Orby dish. In my opinion, the additional gain wasn't necessary as there is adequate headroom with the Orby dish and didn't experience loss of signal during the worst weather last winter.

Either way, you won't go wrong.
Was this snow or rain? I'm in central FL was concerned about heavy rain.

Maybe you need to smack your computer. :D
Google returned several links when I Googled. :)

...31.5" X 34.3" inch dish, and does not come with an LNB. Made with Dual sided galvanized steel with a 1.66 inch universal mount....
Just go to your favorite hardware store and grab a chain-link fence post. 1.66 or 1 5/8.

Oh, thanks! I saw that but thought it was referring to the size of the LNB holder.

I was checking out the DVR even though the dish does not arrive until Friday. I was surprised that the screen asking for authorization came before the signal meter screen. I skipped the authorization and of course got no signal. My question is : Will I need to set up an account before pointing the dish? I would really rather be absolutely sure I am going to get a signal before activation. I think that was possible back in the days when I would get new equipment from the first two major providers.

Great, I was just concerned that the signal meter would not function without payment, especially as I was not hearing any slow beeping like I remember from the old days.

The receiver wouldn't know that it was not authorized or would not be able to be authorized or get any hits from the satellite without a signal so a system requiring authorization before getting signal screen wouldnt be possible.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
I did it! The Winegard 2076 and Geosat Pro PLL SL-1 arrived yesterday. I had to modify the non-penetrating mount my landlord gave me to put the new footing on it and spent some time getting the stand level as it sits on dirt (this is West Texas). I had the elevation right on target and within a few minutes found the correct azimuth. The skew does not seem to change even if I turn it way off but of course I set it as recommend. I am getting a SQ of 99 and SS of 91. One member has suggested that those are labeled backwards.
Activation on the computer was painless and I soon had service. I set some favorite channels and as has already been posted one must first hit guide and then the small FAV button to get to the favorites list. I took the $50 package and of course $4 DVR fee.
There is no indication of which channels are HD and which are SD but I can see a difference even on my 40 inch Sony. I would say the HD channels are as good as other services I have seen but not quite up to the level of the OTA major networks. The SD channels are at least as good as the local sub-channels ( Ion, Quest, Escape and such). It certainly meets my needs but I can see that it would not satisfy those looking for the most pristine quality on a very large display.
I am not planning on adding in the local antenna signal at this time. In the future I may look into a duplexer (spelling correction will not let me type that correctly!).
All and all, a successful project.

Nice. I used the same equipment. The Winegard 76cm dish works perfectly with the SL-1 I get 99/94 in TN. The only time I have outages is during very heavy downpours. The locals don’t go out, though! With DirecTV, they went out first.

The Winegard 2076 was $64.99 and the GeoSat Pro SL-1 was $15.39 both through eBay. Shipping was free for both. As mentioned, my landlord gave me a non-penetrating mount and I had RG6 quad shield cable on hand. I have an OTA antenna but but may not connect it to the Orby DVR.

Last night we had a heavy thunderstorm moving in from the south which should have been a worse case scenario. I got up to check the Orby's signal level and SS had dropped from 91 to 86 and SQ remained at 99. Of course there was no disruption of the picture at those levels. We only get snow about once per winter, that will be fun to check.

Reactions: comfortably_numb

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts