Which DISH to install?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

imatexsun

Original poster
Nov 6, 2010
dallas, tx
Having to install my own Direct TV and trying to figure out which Dish Model to install for HD. There's 4 of them available: Two slimline triple LNB ka/ku models with or without a SWM Or two MPEG-4 compatible Slimline Ka/ku models with or without a SWM that have 2 additional satelittes, 110, 119.
I have a HR24 DVR/ receiver with 2 tvs.
I believe they are SL3 or the SL5 . I'm In the Dallas, Tx area and need to know what channels are on 110, 119? Does not sound like I need them, but I have read some local HD channels might use these extra Satellites now. Or for future use? Dont think I want the SWM just for 2 tvs. Will a regular SL3 be ok for HD in my area? Requires 2 coax to Reciever? One per Tuner? MY DISH TV DVR/ Receiver only required one coax with no power supply. Guess it is built in to the reciever?

I'd go with the SWM, since it makes it easier to install even with just two TVs, but with the H24/HR24, using SWM will give you built in networking. You will need just one coax from the dish which can then be split with one coax to each receiver.

Having to install my own Direct TV and trying to figure out which Dish Model to install for HD. There's 4 of them available: Two slimline triple LNB ka/ku models with or without a SWM Or two MPEG-4 compatible Slimline Ka/ku models with or without a SWM that have 2 additional satelittes, 110, 119.
I have a HR24 DVR/ receiver with 2 tvs.
I believe they are SL3 or the SL5 . I'm In the Dallas, Tx area and need to know what channels are on 110, 119? Does not sound like I need them, but I have read some local HD channels might use these extra Satellites now. Or for future use? Dont think I want the SWM just for 2 tvs. Will a regular SL3 be ok for HD in my area? Requires 2 coax to Reciever? One per Tuner? MY DISH TV DVR/ Receiver only required one coax with no power supply. Guess it is built in to the reciever?

Since your local sd channels are on 101, you don't need the sl5 unless you care about a few music channels or spanish programming, since that's about all there is on 119 that you might want. The hd locals are on 99 and 103, which the sl3 picks up. If you get the swm type lnb, then you need only one line per dvr, but you will need the power inserter and a splitter designed for the swm setup. If you use the regular sl3, then you will have to run two cables to each dvr in order to use both tuners at the same time. Your choice! Oh, and:welcome to Satelliteguys!

Well put Chip !

Personally, I would go with the SL3, NON SWM set up, less to deal with that way.

How is a non-swm less to deal with? With a non-swm on his HR24, he'll need two BBCs and two runs from the dish. With a SWM he only needs one coax to the box. Plus, if he later adds an additional receiver, then he can activate MRV with no need for DECA equipment or multiswitches.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts