Which dual receiver would you BUY...

bjack56

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 16, 2007
Appears if I want to get E* for my vacation place & only use 6-8 months, the CSR said would be best to buy a receiver, then can do a no contract package & suspend for unused time for $5 maintenance fee.

I have (2) standard TV's now, but may upgrade (1) to HD later.

1) Which receiver would you recommend, weighing cost vs features (future) & most trouble free?

2) Any problem buying from an individual if it's "clean"?

Pretty much a no brainer. A VIP622 or 722. One SD can be connected via TV1s S-video and RW RCA cables for sound (assuming one of your TVs complies) and the other with the TV 2 RF output. When you get an HD set, then use the HDMI (plus optical out if you have an A/V receiver there) for TV1. One box for two sets, present and future. I would NOT buy a used receiver from an individual. You do not know how it was "treated" and you would have no warranty.

Appears if I want to get E* for my vacation place & only use 6-8 months, the CSR said would be best to buy a receiver, then can do a no contract package & suspend for unused time for $5 maintenance fee.

I have (2) standard TV's now, but may upgrade (1) to HD later.

1) Which receiver would you recommend, weighing cost vs features (future) & most trouble free?

2) Any problem buying from an individual if it's "clean"?

Just be sure to get the receiver number and card number before buying and check with E* to see if all is well, i.e., the account was paid up. I'd try to find a 322 or 625 SD dual tuner receiver.

If I can get one cheap enough, might take chances on warranty or maybe find a refurb deal with warranty.

Receiver & card number....excellent info. too.

The one downside to and 622 or 722 is that you would have to pay a $7.00 HD enabling fee to use them on SD sets. Once you get an HDTV, then you would pay $10.00 for HD on the package you have. I bet it would still be cheaper than buying two SD receivers and having to re-sell one of them.

If I can get one cheap enough, might take chances on warranty or maybe find a refurb deal with warranty.

Receiver & card number....excellent info. too.

Yes. You want the R and S numbers before you commit to buy. Call Dish once you have the numbers and see what they say before you do anything else.

Also, how far are you from your home to your vacation place? If not far and not an HD set up now, you might just buy an antenna for the vacation place and move your current receivers back and forth.
They wouldn't know about it unless you already have dual tuner receivers trying to "call home".

Confused...if I OWN an HD or HD-DVR & only want bronze 100 without HD or DVR I can't do it??

No satellite at home (yet) so can't "relocate" a receiver. Both places would share the same stations including locals.

Damn...nickle here...dime there... I'm too cheap I guess.

Not sure if it applies to all, but CSR said $5/mo credit for 40 mo. with I believe a 622. If they will do it for a 322 night just do that for now.

Damn...nickle here...dime there... I'm too cheap I guess.

Not sure if it applies to all, but CSR said $5/mo credit for 40 mo. with I believe a 622. If they will do it for a 322 night just do that for now.
Then you are having to buy or upgrade when you get an HD. Most people in similar cases have kicked their own butts for not going with HD to begin with.

Then you are having to buy or upgrade when you get an HD. Most people in similar cases have kicked their own butts for not going with HD to begin with.

Unless you wait a year before any future upgrades. A year can be a long time if your waiting for it to pass. Ask anyone in the pokey! :D

If I understood your earlier post that's an additional $17/mo on top of any SD package for services I might not want for a while.

Looks like they offer 6 mo. HD trial..so if you drop after trial you have to get other equipment or pay the fee?

I have 2 deactivated 622s the cards are with them, but the units were deactivated before card installation.:D Refurbished units, purchased new and replaced through Dish' warranty program.:D

No, if you pay the $10 for HD, you don't have to pay the $7 enabling fee. Also HD looks much better, even on a SD TV (less compression and fewer artifacts).

When you get an HD set, then use the HDMI (plus optical out if you have an A/V receiver there) for TV1.
Why do the optical out to an A/V receiver as opposed to just the HDMI out? Is there a thread that discusses this so we don't sidetrack on your advice?

Thanks.

Why do the optical out to an A/V receiver as opposed to just the HDMI out? Is there a thread that discusses this so we don't sidetrack on your advice?

Thanks.
If your receiver has HDMI audio capabilities, then use it. I assumed you might be using an older receiver in your vacation home, if one at all.

My problem or dilemma is...I want to get a good receiver with future program upgrade capability, but only do SD for now without any up charges for the better receiver or get the free HD trial & drop without paying a fee for having an HD or DVR capable receiver. I don't think that's unreasonable, can't they control or monitor what you get?

toto...want to sell one?

Thanks KAB...just seems illogical...like they want my business, but want me to pay premium gas prices for regular gas because of the type of car I drive. Maybe they are advisors to the new administration :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)