Which DVB Receiver?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

hotwire132002

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 5, 2004
OK, I decided to look into an MPEG-2 receiver so I can pick up all the good stuff instead of being stuck with my current MPEG-1.5. However, (since my dad is the one paying and he already bought me a dish), I need it to be inexpensive (as in under $100, cheaper is better.) Any advice?

You really need a blind scan receiver and if you plan on adding a motor at anytime the receiver has to be DiSEqC 1.2 receiver. I use the Satwork 3688 for all of the above but they run at around $150 shipped, the Traxis receiver can be motorised (DiSEqC 1.2) but has no blind scan! A Traxis system costs around $165 shipped or just the receiver costs around $125 shipped, I would try to get that extra $50 investment as you will regret it other wise, shop around there are other deals also out there, hope this helps a wee bit!

PSB said:
You really need a blind scan receiver and if you plan on adding a motor at anytime the receiver has to be DiSEqC 1.2 receiver. I use the Satwork 3688 for all of the above but they run at around $150 shipped, the Traxis receiver can be motorised (DiSEqC 1.2) but has no blind scan! A Traxis system costs around $165 shipped or just the receiver costs around $125 shipped, I would try to get that extra $50 investment as you will regret it other wise, shop around there are other deals also out there, hope this helps a wee bit!

Thanks for the advice--I was looking at a Traxis receiver so the fact that it has no blind scan is good to know. I'll look around.

a blind scan is almost a necessity

I bought a real simple one off Ebay a while back for $60....I thought it was a great deal, but after looking, it's a pile compared to the 1500.
The simple one has no scan, no motorized, and can only allow 10 TP's....its my G10 receiver now :)

I'm now looking at a Pansat 2500A. It looks to me like that's a receiver a lot of people here are using, so I take it it's a good model?

hotwire132002 said:
I'm now looking at a Pansat 2500A. It looks to me like that's a receiver a lot of people here are using, so I take it it's a good model?

Also, can anyone tell me if it supports C and Ku, or just Ku? Will it work if I hook a C and a Ku dish to a DisEQs (or whatever that was...) switch, or do I have to connect one at a time?

Most FTA receivers work for both C and KU band, it will also motor a small DiSEqC 1.2 motor, used for Ku band but an extra positioner may be needed to motor your C- band dish, but when you get to the satellite your FTA receiver will work for both C and Ku bands.

PSB said:
Most FTA receivers work for both C and KU band, it will also motor a small DiSEqC 1.2 motor, used for Ku band but an extra positioner may be needed to motor your C- band dish, but when you get to the satellite your FTA receiver will work for both C and Ku bands.

So... would you say the Pansat 2500A is a good choice?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)