Which dvd player to buy?

bloomdog

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 20, 2006
Merry Christmas!!! I plan to buy a high definition dvd player this week as a Christmas present to myself. I have a 52" Hitachi rear projection (CRT) high definition TV which is magnificient. It has a DVI input (no HDMI). A few months ago, I recall reading about issues with the first and second generation DVD players properly communicating to the display when an HDMI-DVD adapter was used. Has this been solved? Any recommendations as to which player I should buy? I am leaning towards HD as opposed to Blue Ray, based on what I ahve read, but I am not convinced.
Thanks to all!!

I deleted the secondcopy of this thread.

To answer your question there are several variables:

1) price. How much you are willing/want to pay. If you want to spend $250 or less, go HD DVD.

2) selection of titles. Some films are available on both HD DVD and BD, many are not. Go to amazon and peruse through their selections.

3) Your gut on what format will prevail.

In the HD DVD/BD War-zone you will fine plenty of different viewpoints.

For me, I am a HD DVD guy. :)

Sorry for the double-posting--wasn't sure where to post the question. Putting the format issue aside, can anybody shed some light on the potential DVI-HMDI adapter issue? I don't want to put a player which doesn't advance me to high defintion. I am looking to spned $400 or less. Thanks!!

So what did you decide? I assume you know now that Blu-ray won out, but may have bought prior to that event, since your last post in this thread was a few days before HD DVD caved.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts