Which HD Cinema Movies have you seen?Would you like to post your review of the movie?

Maybe We're Talking About A Different God - 2 stars: In short, a Presbyterian church chooses a lesbian as their minister and all hell/hate breaks loose. Kind of a tough one to rate. It's certainly not entertaining -- but I don't think it was intended to be. And it doesn't really follow the process of the nomination/protests/discussions/conclusion in the way you would expect a true documentary to. It mainly comes across to me as an emotional plea for people not to hate people based on their sexuality. It does that well enough, but a running time under a half hour doesn't give it much time to thoroughly explore anything.

Fat Girl - 3 stars: Every so often a movie comes along that leaves me scratching my head wondering exactly what point the filmmaker was trying to make. In this case, it is called Fat Girl. I guess it just boils to a study of the relationship between two sisters who have little in common other than their parents. Throw in some awkward sex and a bizarre ending that I was convinced (and part of me still is) had to be a dream or fantasy, and you have a rather unusual movie that left me wondering what I was supposed to be feeling when it ended so abruptly. I found it fascinating, disturbing, entertaining, enjoyable, confusing. I thought it did a good job of portraying the awkward confusion of adolescence, but it took a couple turns I wouldn't have necessarily taken -- but it made me think, which is usually a good thing in a movie.

Fat Girl 3.5 stars. I do not know whether to be happy, be crying, scare or what. I do not know what the movie was all about but it only leaves you with an empty feeling and you say to yourself, "what did just happen?". After reading the reviews here, I was waiting for an ending but I never expected it this way. The movie itself has... well what can I say. You have to see it to understand it.

Knife in the Water - 3 stars: I agree with everything Sean liked about this movie. The creative way it was shot and the lovely Jolanta Umecka make this movie a winner. The story isn't so great, but does take some interesting and somewhat dark turns toward the end. This movie looks beautiful.

The Castle 3.0 stars. A very simple story but it has some pretty funny moments. A basic man fights for his right to a home that he comes to love. Do not think the movie was based on a true story but it was entertaining.

The Proposal 2.5 stars. A typical good guy, bad guy story in which two undercover cops (male/female) are going after the mob and their king pin. Kind of a cheesy plot, but as the story progresses the relationship between two cops grows into romance and they did a fair job of maintaining our interest. The PQ was pretty good and the movie, although nothing great, was better than we had expected.

Strange Fits of Passion - 1.5 stars :A pitiful young woman decides to lose her virginity and supposed hilarity ensues in this disappointment of a film. Peppered with what I suspect are supposed to pass for witty conversations with smart observations on life and love, this movie's just a bit off. While there are a couple amusing bits, it basically put all its eggs in the basket of the main character, who I could barely stand. When a woman of her age exhibits this level of thinking, I'm left to believe there may be underlying reasons related to natural selection working against her desires to have sex. PQ and sound both weak.

Nightwatch - 2.5 stars: Pretty good. Lots of familiar faces -- Josh Brolin and Nick Nolte stand out. Ewan McGregor seems to have some trouble settling on an accent. The story itself is a little on the predictable side, but good enough to hold my interest and gross me out a couple times. PQ was nothing special, but I liked the surround sound.

Essex Boys - 2 stars : One of those complicated twist-and-turn crimes-gone-wrong who's on whose side kinda deals. Not real easy for me to follow, in part because I had trouble understanding their accents and in part because I simply lost interest. PQ was okay, but there were way too many dark/night scenes for my taste. Sound was cool, especially the deep rich bass with the music.

Full Tilt Boogie - 2.5 stars: As far as "the making of..." movies go, this one was pretty fun. I thought it spent a little too much time on the union issues, and Harvey Keitel needs to get over himself. Other than that, good stuff. Oh -- and Juliette Lewis rocks!

Strait Jacket - 3 stars: I think this movie cheated a little -- even after the awkward explanation at the end of how everything really happened, some things just didn't really seem right. But it was fun to watch anyway. For such an old movie it had pretty good sound and pq, not to mention a relatively high creep factor.

Flatly Stacked - 4 stars: Good documentary about growing up with small breasts, and being a grown up with small breasts. Very interesting, and treated with just the right mix of seriousness and humor.

The Hidden Fortress - 3.5 stars. I'm a huge Akira Kurosawa fan and I've seen this movie 5 or 6 times. Follow along and you can see where George Lucas got his idea for the plot to Star Wars. That makes it a must see for any Star Wars fans out there, and hopefully they'll become fans of Kurosawa along the way. He's one of THE best filmakers of all time.

And Baby Makes Two - 3 stars: Documentary about single women who decide to have children without a husband. Pretty interesting, but I kept getting a couple of the women confused. Dealt with different ways of getting pregnant, adoption, raising a child without a father, general attitudes toward single mothers -- some pretty heavy issues that they handled well.

I have two to recommend next time they come around: (if??)

**** THE HIDDEN FORTRESS by Akira Kurosawa
**** AMELIE BY Jean Pierre Jeunet

Thanks to VOOM for showing "The Hidden Fortress." Even George Lucas admits he got the idea for the plot of Star Wars from this Kurosawa film. Just as "Fistful of Dollars" was a western remake of Kurasawa's "Yojimbo" and "Magnificent Seven was a western version of "Seven Samurai." Although the English translations are simple and at times misleading it is worth following along especially late at night when you don't need to run the sound very loud.The plots of Kurosawa are a lot more intricate and novel-like than the American movies. Check it out next time it is showing: Also, THRONE OF BLOOD (Kurosawa's version of Macbeth) YOJIMBO, SEVEN SAMAURI, RASHOMON.

Also thanks to VOOM for showing "Amalie" the outstanding French hit of several years ago that is just catching on in America. It is told in an interesting cinematic style that has crept into some of Tim Burton's work and is an excellent way to present the details of a story. Amelie is a young Paris waitress who discovers an old box of childhood treasures hidden beneath her apartment floorboards She returns the box anonymously to its rightful owner and watches from a distance as his life is transformed. This gives her an idea, "Do a good deed but don't get caught!" This also works in reverse for people who mistreat others. This leads her through a series of exciting and funny encounters. But then she meets a handsome young man named Nino. From here on it is not the familiar boy meets girl story but is quite different and inventive, so much so that hopefully there will never be a cheap American movie copy of this wonderful story.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts