Which HD OTA Antenna?

ckudrna

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 28, 2004
Tempe, AZ
Hi all,

I live in the Phoenix area (go to school @ ASU in Tempe). I have a Mitsu 55 inch HD and will soon be getting the Hughes HD reciever from ABT (early in the week). I am a DirecTV subscriber and will subscribe to the HD programs in hopes that they will add a lot more soon!!

Now, i need an Antenna to get local OTA stations. I live approx. 11 miles from the large array of antennas on South Mountain. It is Phoenix, so no major landmarks obstruct view, other than a three story Hampton Inn about 200 yards off of my 2nd story balcony in the direction of the antennas.

The antennas are all located on a high point on top of south mountain.

From what I can tell 11 miles from the transmitters is fairly close. No major obstructions in the way should help me as well.

What Antenna does everyone think would be best? I would imagine a powered unit would give me a little more flexability in terms of signal strength.

Do I need to buy a $100 TERK or will the $40 Radio Shack unit do the job? I am interested in a great picture, especially for the upcoming baseball playoffs on Fox (which i think i should be able to get in HD?) The TERK TV55 is quite sexy, but is it worth buying if I am 11 miles away?

All the Digital Stations i am interested in getting are "Yellow UHF" on antenna web if that helps.

I have a DirecTV three LNB dish that a HD OTA antenna could be clipped on, but I would much rather have an indoor (or keep it close to my sliding door to the balcony that faces in the direction of the transmitters) as only one RG6 line is run through the wall to the back of my home theater components. It is a rented apartment so running another is pretty much out of the question and I would rather not dick around with flat coax and such.

Thanks for the advice!
Thanks

HD Antenna

I purchased the Terk TV55 to try and pickup the local ABC station 27 miles away. It may look sexy but it is worthless! Try this site http://www.antennasdirect.com and purchase the DB4 UHF antenna. It works great and I have it mounted in my attic. The Terk is mounted on the outside of the house and still did not work. The DB4 is guaranteed to work or your money back by the way. They are very helpful and I can reccomend them highly.

Thanks for the reply,

After doing more research I have found that the general consensus from humans is that Terk sucks and while they may be sexy, they produce little for the $$.

I live in a 1 bedroom apartment (about 850 sq feet) on the second floor of the building. I face the general direction of the transmitter towers off of my balcony. I would preferably like a smaller antenna that can just be pointed out the window twords the towers.

Should i try Radioshack and screw with some smaller indoor antennas and see what works? I would think i would be able to get some decent reception since i am only about 11 miles from the transmitters.

HD Antenna

The DB4 is a very small antenna which could be attached to the outside wall or just about any flat surface. Like I said I have mine mounted in the attic and it works great. When I talked to the people at Antennas Direct they told me to keep it simple. In fact the simpler the better, meaning no amplifier and keep the lead wire as short as possible. As far as the Terk I will let the birds use it for a roost! I don't think you will be dissappointed with the DB4.

I have the Wingard Sensar antenna. Call Directv and get one directly through them. That's what I did. I'm about 15 miles from the antennas and I pick up every one of my locals.

At 11 miles the Zenith Silver Sensor is a good possibility for you.

The CM3021 is similar to the Antennas Direct DB4 but at about 1/2 the cost. Personally, I would (and did) try the Zenith SS first. More gain from the CM 3021, but if the SS works you have the "small point it out the window" solution you want.

ckudrna said:
The TERK TV55 is quite sexy, but is it worth buying if I am 11 miles away?

LOL!!! That's the best I've heard yet. I'm using the Terk and it's alright, but it probably isn't worth the value. I only got it cause I was given a $100 credit at the store...

I would look into Zenith Silver Sensor, Radio Shack 15-1880, which are indoor antennas. If they do not work, then CM 3021. I would have recommended RS 15-2160 that I am currently using but its not going to look as good in ur bedroom!

Ota

I just purchased the Zenith SS and I love it. I have my indoor antenna in the basement and it gets about 10-15 HD at 70% most of the time. I am planning on mounting it in the attic. I would highly recommend the antenna and its only 25-30 bucks.

keep in mind, all ota antennas are HD. Just b/c the box says its HD ready is a line of BS. The rabit ears I use pick up my digital stations (HD Stations)> They came with my daughters Hello Kitty TV.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)