Which HD receiver is the BEST?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

prince_001

Original poster
Jul 27, 2004
I am in Austin, TX. Switched from Time Warner to Voom a few days ago. Everything works well, except for NO local FOX channel. Sucks because I am a football fan. Thinking of switching to DirecTV HD and getting their current promotion on NFL ticket. But I am very much confused on which receiver to choose (I have only 2 choices) -

Samsung TS360 or Hughes? I plan to go to Ultimate Electronics to get it. They have both, and the price is same. But I can't decide on which one to buy. Any advice?

Thanks.

I have heard not so good reviews on the TS360. I just got the Hughes HTL-HD box installed yesterday and after the software upgrade it has been working great so far! No lockups (like the Voom box did) and it picked up an abundance of locals, even some 90 miles away (though I can't watch it too well due to a very snowy picture.

I Would Have To Say Either The Sony HD200 or Sony HD300.
I've Had The Sony HD200 For Over A Year & I Love It. The Program Guide Along Is Something To Behold.

The Sony, LG, Zenith, and Hughes HD receivers are the SAME on the inside. Why would you spend the extra money for the Sony?

Neutron said:
The Sony, LG, Zenith, and Hughes HD receivers are the SAME on the inside. Why would you spend the extra money for the Sony?
Brand Loyalty! The LG is the prettiest but they are all the same (LG, Sony, Hughes). I love my Hughes HTL-HD, it is the best of what I have used including the HR10-250 ... way to pricey when I am getting SD Tivo @ 79.00 and have 3 of them!

Here's a question about the HTL-HD since you have it also. How do you get the guide to show only the channels that you subscribe to?

Neutron said:

The firmware is NOT the same nor is the software, I did a side by side at the dealers and the Sony was much better than the LG, bought the Sony SAT-HD300, and I'm stoked. Sometimes you do pay for what you get.

Seawaves said:
The firmware is NOT the same nor is the software, I did a side by side at the dealers and the Sony was much better than the LG, bought the Sony SAT-HD300, and I'm stoked. Sometimes you do pay for what you get.
The 300 is brand new ... these are the same as the 200. Either way, I looked too and the PQ is identical :D and that is all that matters.

Neutron said:
Here's a question about the HTL-HD since you have it also. How do you get the guide to show only the channels that you subscribe to?
go into setup and edit your surf list ... tis the only way.

Neutron said:

Slacker, tis another way too . . .

I do it this way since I have the PPV channels hidden less chance of my gf ordering them if she doesn't see them. I already pay for the total choice premier package but she'll still want to rack up the bill another 50-100 more.

do this
click the guide button twice scroll down & click custom.
Every channel that you don't want to see mark it as hidden by doing the following
Menu, Setup, surf channel edit mark the ones that you don't want as hidden & whoala. You can still select even the hidden channels you just won't see them in the guide & can change from channel to channel with the extra BS.

I purchased an Hughes HTL-HD in June brand new. It has failed with not even 2 months on it. It went down on July 29th. The signal level was always in the 90's on all three satellites. Directv is sending me another one, but I am pretty unsatisfied with the service that I got from this one.

Lem52

I have had a number of HD receivers over the years. From the old RCA to the Toshiba 3000 then 3100.
By far the best I have yet had is the HD TiVo.
In my case, it pulls in OTA far better than any receiver I have had, and its simplicity is marvelous in a home where we use to need four separate remotes just to watch TV.
Obviously it is more expensive -- by double, maybe more -- than some HD receivers.
But well worth every penny.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)