Which HD Receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.

badhat

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jan 27, 2008
Moses Lake, WA
Ok so as I posted before I was going to get the Mercury II receiver. But after doing a ton more homework alot of the feeds I will be looking for have to do with motorsports and looks like most are HD. What receiver would you all recommend? I have been looking around and know that cheaper doesn't ever mean better so I thought I had better ask. Does anyone have experience with the Captain 8000 HD? Here's the link. I notice that most all the other HD receivers are $400+. I really need to stay around $300 or less.

At this point, I wouldn't go with a Coolsat 8000. It was one of the first (maybe the first?) FTA HD receiver to come out. I believe the Pansat 9200 is superior, and has blind scan, which the CS8K does not have.

I don't think very much of ANY of the HD receivers, but some are better than others. I'd suggest you get a Merc II and investigate a Cheap Neusat 9000 HD . By many accounts, http://www.satelliteguys.us/fta-mpeg2-equipment-reviews/117397-neusat-hd-9000-receiver-review.html ,
The Neusat is not exactly top of the line, but because of its shortcomings, it might be cheap. I suspect you can get both the Merc and the Neusat for well under $300 . There are other comments on the Neusat, besides the above review, you might search them out. I've heard tht the picture is glorious, and that might be all you need without investing a lot of money.
:)

Brent

I had a Neusat, sold it and bought a Diamond 9000 HD, on the promise that it does DVB-S2. Thus far that promise is a lot of smoke.

The Neusat has a great picture, but it is slow as molasses, has no blind scan, has no channel editor that anyone can make any sense out of. The Diamond at least can use NDF files from coolsat through Channel Master, and has a PVR function, but alas, I have no hard drive right now to test that.

I think the Pansat 9200 is the only one that does blind scan, so if you have the scratch ( I didn't, thus the Neusat, then the Diamond) go for it. :up

Well my next question for you experienced FTA'ers are the odds pretty good I can still get some good motorsport feeds without a HD receiver?

Well my next question for you experienced FTA'ers are the odds pretty good I can still get some good motorsport feeds without a HD receiver?

Have a look at this page. Scroll down and look in the middle. It's the best place I know of for racing feeds. I think you would be most happy with HD though. You're not gonna like it when you want to watch a feed and it's in HD so you just get a green screen.

Gofastmotorsports

Have a look at this page. Scroll down and look in the middle. It's the best place I know of for racing feeds. I think you would be most happy with HD though. You're not gonna like it when you want to watch a feed and it's in HD so you just get a green screen.

Gofastmotorsports

Well I have definitely decided to get the Mercury II receiver (can't wait for pay day... only 2 more days) and will save my pennies and dimes for a HD receiver. Maybe between now and then they will have improved a bit. At the very least I will gain FTA experience while I wait.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts