Which is the Best DVD Recorder?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jibber1

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2011
santa monica
My HR24 thread seems to have petered out. I've learned that perhaps the best way to back up a DVR is with DVD recordings. What DVD recorders do you all recommend? I've been looking at the Panasonic DMR-EZ28K and the Toshiba D-R570. Thanks.

All I ever use is Panasonic or Toshiba and have never had a problem. Whatever brand you get make sure you buy from someplace with a liberal return policy. Some brands have issues when it comes to recording premium channels. As soon as you get it, hook it up, do a test recording and if you can't record premiums or any of your favorite channels return it for another brand.

I bought a Sony Model # RDR-GX257 on Walmart.com. The unit is refurbish and upconvert to 1080P with HDMI and Component cables. It is a great unit and so far a have no complaints. I payed 54$ for the unit and I pick it up at the store. I had been recording a lot of VOD and regular channels, the only issue is HBO, trey have the copyright application. Forthat kind of money and the name brand you can't go wrong. You don't have to invest a lot of money with the unit. The Pany is a good recorder too but expensive, I think.

Sony is one of the brands I was talking about that had problems recording premium channels. I suppose if that doesn't bother you, for the price you paid, it's a pretty good deal, but regardless of price, I'd sure want one that worked as it was suppose to.

Be aware though that any HDCP content will not backup to a DVD as the copy protection won't allow it. If someone knows of a recorder that gets around this I'd like to know. Some of the old LiteOns would and I have one but the burner is dead in it now.

I have a Panasonic DMR-HS2, I believe it's a 2003 vintage. This has a 40 gig HD in it but I find using it degrades the image somewhat. I have (knock wood) been able to record live HBO and DVRed HBO to DVD using it. I find that I must have an HDMI cable out to TV and then use RCA (red, yellow, white) to the DMR for it to work. :cool:

dfergie

Do have any experience with that Hauppauge unit? I want to know if it will feed to a blu ray dvd recorder and will the recorder see the signal properly. Thanks.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)