Which Multiswitch for Voom?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

ramcm7

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 31, 2004
I've searched a bit here, and have seen some wiring diagrams, but have not seen any mention of the type of multiswitch required in a Voom setup. Would the multiswitches for a Dish network setup work with Voom, a DirecTV multiswitch setup, or yet another class of multiswitches? I am currently a DirecTV sub and am curious as to how much I would have to change, should I go to Voom. I don't think I'll jump until their PVR system is out and working reliably, but that may change the networking requirements, I am guessing.

:confused:

The search engine appears to be down at the moment, but I remember Mr. Biggles has posted some information on multiswitches. I don't know a multiswitch from a sandwich, but if you can find those posts by Mr. Biggles--he'll have the answer.

Currently any ordinary 2(3) in x out multiswitch wi work for Voom. If they start using 2 satellite locations I believe it will be a D* type (22khz tone) switch.

I am currently using a multiswitch that I bought from a local electronics store (you do it electronics). I paid $40 for it. The salesman did not want to sell it to me when he found out that I was not going to be using it on D*. He was so sure that I was going to return it since he was adamant that it only works with D* equipment and nothing else.
I told him that I am willing to take my chances. His last words to me were "you'll be back."
I installed the switch and it worked flawlessly and has been for the past 3 months or so.
Benji

Now that I researched what a multiswitch is, I'm using a Channel Master 4032, and it came with the Voom installation in December. It accepts 1 coax input and sends it out on two seperate coax lines. I'm using it to feed two other TV's and all are running on the same STB.

the 4032 is not a multiswitch, it is a Diplexer. The dish has 2 recievers in it, so, it by itself, can supply two recievers. A multiswitch is used to split this to more than 2 recievers. The Diplexer that you have is used to add the OTA signal from your antenna into the two individual satellite feeds for the recievers.

Maybe I should go get a sandwich. I actually DO know something about that. Thanks CraziFuzzy.

I'm using the 4032 as a method to diplex the signal from the STB to other televisions. Coax out from STB to the 4032, and then out to 2 other tv's. It's not the first time I've been confused about terminology.

Had a ham and cheese, and it was good.

THe multi switch is the same one that DTV uses. Its just a standard 2x4 or 3x4 switch. The LNB's that they use are single LNB, dual output, which say Directv under the sticker. It is a lot like DTV in that fashion, PQ, well, thats a different story :)
P.S. If one is needed (installing over 2 IRD's), they will supply it. Otherwise they send the 3x2 diplexer, which in my eyes, shouldn't be used if you are only having one installed. Just have two wires run.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)