Which one of these dishes is better

Status
Please reply by conversation.

wildboys

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 14, 2004
I am trying to decide if i should buy a winegard 1 meter dish.
Winegard 1 meter DS-3100
Or a geosatpro 1.2 meter dish.
GeoSatpro 1.2 meter Ku Dish
Which one do you think will perform better or they both about the same.It will be motorized.
Can a 1 meter dish out perform a 1.20cm dish?My mind tells me the 120CM dish will out perform a 1 meter dish most of the time is this correct?

There's some independent test info on the Global-CM site which makes good reading.
While it doesn't cover the particular dishes you mentioned, it does debunk the 76cm Winegard that everyone seems to love.
I'm sure that it being well made goes a long way to toward satisfying many users.
Just as the poor construction, and resistance to damage, go toward dissatisfying many other users of cheap dishes.

Personally, I'd look really hard for a 1m Primestar, used, for about free, and pick it up locally.
Of course, I am still looking for one, and I still don't have one. :rolleyes:
That would be an excellent choice, and a fantastic price-performance ratio.

Between the two dishes you mentioned, I'm not going to offer my opinion, because I don't have any sold facts to support an opinion.

Where are ya, that you think you need such a big dish ?
If you're really out in the weeds, then don't forget a top-notch LNB to go with the dish!

Last edited:
i thought you was pushing a big dish :)

ok if your setting it up to be a stationary dish i will totally agree with Anole
free is always better :)
if you are going to motorize , i would still save my money and find a primestar
the big round one is heavy and you would have to make a mount to lighten the motor load . for the smaller primestars if you just invert the mount and sleeve the motor it will work like it is.
"I always like Free"

good luck

Personally, I'd look really hard for a 1m Primestar, used, for about free, and pick it up locally.
Of course, I am still looking for one, and I still don't have one. :rolleyes:

I'd like to find a P* 1.0 m or 1.2 locally but no luck. My 90cm I found years ago does a wiz bang job with the stock NJR lnb.

A contact of mine that does commercial work all over the world offered me a good deal a few months back on a 1 meter Prodelin with heaters built in. I would have grabbed it but didn't want to dig another hole to plant it.

Freecycle is how a lot of people get free stuff... I got a P* and about 3 pizza dishes this way over the last year or two... it's there. Use it. Just make sure you have a major email account with lots of spam filters and/or one email account dedicated to it since you'll get lots of emails about tons of people giving away tons of stuff free and/or wanting tons of stuff free. I have a filter on mine in gmail that auto deletes the stuff coming from those groups so I can just sort through the trash in there if I'm interested... If you have a pickup, and lots of time on your hands, freecycle can be very great for you. I don't have a truck, but do occassionally burrow mom and dad's minivan.

I have the Winegard 2076.
I helped a guy install a motorized dish on Saturday and he ordered the Geosatpro dish that you are asking about because his fortec dish was bent like crazy. (you could tell the ebay seller had tried to beat it back into shape with a hammer or mallet)
They both do a great job, especially with a sg2100.
I did get more signal and quality with the Geosatpro than my Winegard due to the bigger size, but not THAT much more.
And they both seem a lot sturdier than the bent fortec was! A lot thicker too.
I think you might be good either way you go.
I read somewhere that the bigger one would help a little more with rain fade, but I wouldn't know because we are in the middle of the biggest drought in Alabama in the past 50 years!
-phil

back OT

I am trying to decide if i should buy a winegard 1 meter dish.
Winegard 1 meter DS-3100
Or a geosatpro 1.2 meter dish.
GeoSatpro 1.2 meter Ku Dish
Which one do you think will perform better or they both about the same.It will be motorized.
Can a 1 meter dish out perform a 1.20cm dish?My mind tells me the 120CM dish will out perform a 1 meter dish most of the time is this correct?
Well, the man asked a fair question, and I didn't mean to start a Primestar-support group.
You know: weekly meetings, and a 12-step program . . . :)

But between the two dishes listed, if both were the same size, I'd think the Winegard might have the edge.
If only in quality.
However, I'd look closely at the mounts, too.
In other threads, we've discovered that some of the 1m or 1.2m dishes are a bear to adjust for elevation, and some have helpful hardware.
(...almost sounds like a jingle, doesn't it? "helpful hardware . . ." ) :)

But since the dishes are not the same size, and the GeoSat has easier to adjust elevation, I'd call up SatelliteAV and ask him what motor he recommends for it.
Of course, that's only my opinion . . . :rolleyes:

...and as for rain-fade, first ya gotta have rain !

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)