Which Powerline Adapter?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

volntitan

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 4, 2007
Hey folks...

Setting up a way for my father to watch Directv On Demand. Problem is his box is on the far opposite side of the house than the wireless router and in a cabinet. So I thought the way to go were these Powerline Adapters. Don't want anything complicated. He has a large credit with them so wanted to use Amazon instead of going thru Directv.

Which ones have been known to be easy to setup and reliable. Any suggestions would be great....

Any suggestions? I hate to beg, but hoping to order from Amazon in time to get it delivered tomorrow.

There are several which are pretty equivalent to the Directv adapters. Netgear XE103/104, for instance. Amazon has a kit of 2 XE103s: [ame=http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-XE103G-Powerline-Network-Adapter/dp/B000GR1CBI/ref=pd_bxgy_e_text_c]Amazon.com: NETGEAR XE103G 85 Mbps Powerline Network Adapter Kit: Electronics[/ame]

They all use the same Intellon chips, so performance should be as good as the Directv boxes. There are some 200 Mbps adapters, but they run quite a bit more and On Demand doesn't require that much bandwidth (Directv's servers run around 6 Mbps).

Thanks...how difficult is it to set up? Do you have to configure it on a computer or can you literally plug and play?

Was looking at [ame="http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-XAVB101-Powerline-Ethernet-Adapter/dp/B001AGM2VI/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1233250908&sr=1-9"]these units[/ame] but are they overkill?

The netgear 200 mbps is about $12 more than the 85 mbps ones. Is it worth getting the faster ones even though Directv only sends it down at 6? Maybe to "future proof"?

these models will need configuration through a software that is provided with the kit if bought new or if bought used you can download the software free on the manufacturers website.

The netgear 200 mbps is about $12 more than the 85 mbps ones. Is it worth getting the faster ones even though Directv only sends it down at 6? Maybe to "future proof"?

i would've recommended these models to you in your other thread if i new you wanted higher speeds. if you want to "future proof" yourself you should go for the 200mbps adapters. they will allow you to stream HD video for future features that directv will have available.

The only configuration is if you want to encrypt the signals. I suppose if you live in a MDU there might be a possibility of somebody tapping into your connection, but it doesn't seem to propagate through transformers. Otherwise, it looks just like a direct cable connection. For the slight difference in price, the 200 Mbps units might be a good idea. Directv2pc (and soon MRV) is the most bandwidth-intensive application and I have a few minor issues with that which might or might not be related. The NICs in the DVRs are 100 Mbps. My 85 Mbps units are fine for On Demand or Media Share video (which is limited to 10 Mbps).

The only configuration is if you want to encrypt the signals. I suppose if you live in a MDU there might be a possibility of somebody tapping into your connection, but it doesn't seem to propagate through transformers. Otherwise, it looks just like a direct cable connection. For the slight difference in price, the 200 Mbps units might be a good idea. Directv2pc (and lsoon MRV) is the most bandwidth-intensive application and I have a few minor issues with that which might or might not be related. The NICs in the DVRs are 100 Mbps. My 85 Mbps units are fine for On Demand or Media Share video (which is limited to 10 Mbps).

when bought used you sometimes need to configure them. if 10mbps is all that's needed for on demand, I had the cheaper adapter that does 14mbps that did the job. he would save more $$$ no? :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.