Which Satellite am I on?

Mister B

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jun 3, 2008
El Paso County Texas
Is there any quick way to see which satellite is being used for the channel I am currently viewing? I believe that when I had Dish if I went to the signal meter screen it showed the current satellite and strength. With the Genie the signal diagnosis always starts with the 101 location although I am sure that is not correct for all channels.

It seems many of the online charts are out of date. I have gotten the general idea that most if not all HD is on 103 as are my El Paso locals. I was just curious.

It seems many of the online charts are out of date. I have gotten the general idea that most if not all HD is on 103 as are my El Paso locals. I was just curious.
HD can be split between the 103 and the 99 Sats.

There use to be reports online that you could look it up, but I haven't looked for one in quite awhile .

Go here and download the spreadsheet

El Paso locals are on 99W TP 17 & 18
Thanks, that just about answers it.

Reactions: Jimbo
Go here and download the spreadsheet

El Paso locals are on 99W TP 17 & 18
Thats what I was looking for, but wasn't sure if you could access it without signing up first.

Indeed I can not open the Edgecutter file on my Apple computer. Now I am curious in that I am obviously getting several neighboring spot beams, some at a fair strength. Would another member be so kind as to simply post or message what is on:
99s 1&3, 16-18 and 20-22
103s 16-20
Most likely it will be Tucson, Albuquerque, Odessa and maybe Lubbock. Cities are quite spread out here in West Texas, Arizona and New Mexico.

Indeed I can not open the Edgecutter file on my Apple computer. Now I am curious in that I am obviously getting several neighboring spot beams, some at a fair strength. Would another member be so kind as to simply post or message what is on:
99s 1&3, 16-18 and 20-22
103s 16-20
Most likely it will be Tucson, Albuquerque, Odessa and maybe Lubbock. Cities are quite spread out here in West Texas, Arizona and New Mexico.
I assume the spotbeam goes across Texas but this is what I came up with
99s 1 Albuquerque
99s 3 Albuquerque
99s 16 Corpus Christi
99s 17 El Paso
99s 18 El Paso
99s 20 Harlingen
99s 21 Odessa
99s 22 Odessa
103s 16 Houston
103s 17 San Antonio Tucson
103s 18 San Antonio Tucson
103s 19 Houston
103s 20 Houston

Last edited:
Thank you so much! This is very interesting. I knew Albuquerque would be very strong at a 98 as they also serve Alamogordo which is only 80 miles north of El Paso. Odessa is only coming in at the mid-20s which is a bit surprising in that they serve the huge Big Bend area.
Now that it is overcast skies I am not getting any reading for Corpus Christi or Harlingen. However, both San Antonio (550 miles from here) and Houston (750 miles) is surprising.

Thank you so much! This is very interesting. I knew Albuquerque would be very strong at a 98 as they also serve Alamogordo which is only 80 miles north of El Paso. Odessa is only coming in at the mid-20s which is a bit surprising in that they serve the huge Big Bend area.
Now that it is overcast skies I am not getting any reading for Corpus Christi or Harlingen. However, both San Antonio (550 miles from here) and Houston (750 miles) is surprising.
This may also help you IF it is current.

Attachments

• spots3.png
    spots3.png
    107.6 KB · Views: 88
Corrections above
Tucson and El Paso are on the same spot beam so it has to be that and not San Antonio
Those 3 TP's at 103s 16, 19 & 20 must be empty. Houston is the only one that shows up but they are on the same spotbeam as Alexandria, Lafayette and Baton Rouge, LA. No way it goes that far west
Harlingen, Laredo and Corpus Christi are on same spot beam. Laredo is on 99s TP19
Albuquerque is its own spot beam
Austin and San Antonio are its own beam...ironically Austin is on 99s TP17 like El Paso but different beams
Amarillo and Lubbock are its own beam
Odessa is its own beam

So some of these spotbeams are very tight

I believe the only neighboring spot beams that would be reliable are Albuquerque and Tucson. Both also have the advantage of being in Mountain Time although Arizona does not go to Daylight Savings Time in the summer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Latest posts