Which receiver maker has the most bug-free firmware ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

kstuart

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Nov 5, 2006
Northern California
I read in a number of Forum threads about new firmware releases that fix various problems with receivers.

So, I have a question - especially for those of you with experience with a variety of receivers - which manufacturer has the most bug-free receiver firmware (software) ??

I'd like this to be evaluated entirely separate from the hardware or the features - just the software quality and reliability.

So, if a receiver is missing a number of important features, and doesn't have all the most needed connectors on the back, but the software reliably does exactly what it is supposed to do every time, it would score high.

And a great receiver design with quality parts, and many worthwhile features, with software that often has problems doing what it is supposed to do, and is getting new firmware updates every few weeks just to fix bugs, would score low.

So, how do you rate them ?

All I have experience with is Pansat 3500sd. It's a great receiver. There was one firmware update that I did, but it wasn't really a necessity... just something to get to the latest and greatest. In all honesty, I have no idea what it was for... That firmware upgrade was one in the 1.5 years I've owned the thing, so that's pretty good...

I don't think any receiver gets firmware updates every few weeks , if that's a question ? Hackware maybe :eek:
Lucky if there is a firmware release at all.

I for one would like to see some FTA friendly firmware updates , maybe change the skins of the OSD , have a theme like U.S. Satellite Guys official firmware release , any programmers here ? OK I'm dreaming but I know it can be done.

I think the best reason to connect your Receiver to your PC is for using channel and Satellite editing software like channelmaster.

By doing this , you can correct the Satellite names and the order ,believe I put mine in ascending order , also is much quicker to edit channel names , you can backup your channels ( I have to do this soon ) , just in case anything goes wrong (TP overload) and you have to do a factory reset.

There are some boxes that have bug free software but the menus suck. I guess I would rather have a box that has good menus (Pansat 3500, Coolsat 5000, Fortecs) as an example.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Morning Ruminations,Questions, and Interesting Observations

smallear st6600

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)