Which Satellite Discussion Website do you prefer?

SAEMike said:
It's actually "Hear Hear". Originates from the phrase "hear, all ye good people, hear what this brilliant and eloquent speaker has to say!" :)

Gee, It is bad enough that I get corrected at home by my Journalist wife but HERE among fiends too!! I HEAR you Mike... :D ;)

Kevinw said:
Gee, It is bad enough that I get corrected at home by my Journalist wife but HERE among fiends too!! I HEAR you Mike... :D ;)

Naw, not a dig, just trying to inform. I'm a big fan of the English language and the different things you can do with it. (I'm a speech writer among other things) Also, journalists generally have some of the worst grammar I've ever seen ;) Save that one for the next time you are corrected by your wife :) :D

Ok, so to actually respond to the question of the two websites.

DBSTalk: Great "potpourri" forum. The political discussion in that room is good enough to visit even if you do not own a satellite system. For the Dish material, the membership overlaps so much, that I imagine both sites are pretty even on that. Also, I've always felt more welcomed over there. If a thread gets off track (as any conversation does) the moderaters don't jump to stop the thread immediately using warnings in bold letters about how we need to stay within the narrowly defined topic of the thread (ok, enough of that rant)

Satellite Guys: Great arcade! The high score and awards system is very cool, and there is a very good selection, and the games are a lot of fun. As for the moderators, well, you heard my rant before :) Conversations get off track, deal with it! The satellite forums are ok. . . IF YOU SUBSCRIBE TO VOOM (haha, no they aren't that bad) As for the "Chit Chat Club", pretty disapointing, I wish there were more posts there, same goes for the "Real Guys Pub"

Edge: Goes to DBSTalk. It's a more relaxed atmosphere. I can rest assured that my post won't be deleted because I happened to respond to a comment about the President in a satellite discussion forum, and I know I won't be treated rudely. Although, I still do enjoy the Satellite Guys arcade, I don't post nearly as much on this site as I do on DBSTalk.

One think I would like to see more of on BOTH forums, is more discussion on programming. Discussion of individual shows, like you see on the Tivo Community Forum. That would be pretty neat. Not anything the creators of the forums are doing wrong, the forums are there, just wish there was more discussion in them.

Well, there's my candid view of both websites. Take it for what it is :)

JohnL said:
Scott,

Just a dig, but "WITCH" is a noun meaning "a person that practices Witchcraft. "WHICH" is an adverb to ask for clarification on the subject.

John

I didn't post this thread therefore (for once) the bad spelling was not mine. :D

SAEMike said:
Naw, not a dig, just trying to inform. I'm a big fan of the English language and the different things you can do with it. (I'm a speech writer among other things) Also, journalists generally have some of the worst grammar I've ever seen ;) Save that one for the next time you are corrected by your wife :) :D
Unfortunatly She is not only a writer but an Editor as well. She has a double major in Communications and English. She NEVER misspells a word and NEVER uses improper grammer.....The polar apposite of me :D
One of her better articles-
http://gtalumni.org/StayInformed/magazine/win01/article1.html

I also think that it would be nice to have conversations about certain shows. Perhaps have it categorized into a main forum about tv shows, subcategories with the most popular stations listed, then subcategorized even further with the list of shows under each station. This is if there were several shows being discussed at once. This would probably help bring more people to the site as well if they were to search for certain shows on the search engines.

SAEMike said:
DBSTalk: ... I've always felt more welcomed over there. If a thread gets off track (as any conversation does) the moderaters don't jump to stop the thread immediately using warnings in bold letters about how we need to stay within the narrowly defined topic of the thread (ok, enough of that rant)

Satellite Guys: ...As for the moderators, well, you heard my rant before :) Conversations get off track, deal with it!

Edge: Goes to DBSTalk. It's a more relaxed atmosphere. I can rest assured that my post won't be deleted because I happened to respond to a comment about the President in a satellite discussion forum, and I know I won't be treated rudely.

At dbstalk, one has to be worried about being treated rudely from the other members, not the mods. Some o' those guys have serious issues.

At SG, I find the mods give us a pretty wide berth, aside from one particularly anal mod with an itchy "thread closed" finger.

That is one reason why I prefer this site because it does seem like there is a friendlier atmosphere here (thats how DBSTalk was as well a while back when it first began as well) but I do visit DBSForums, DBSTalk, and SatelliteGuys about everyday.

GaryPen said:
At dbstalk, one has to be worried about being treated rudely from the other members, not the mods. Some o' those guys have serious issues.

At SG, I find the mods give us a pretty wide berth, aside from one particularly anal mod with an itchy "thread closed" finger.

Yes, I believe this is EXACTLY the one mod I'm discussing. When you allow a particular moderator to represent your site, you're the one who has to live with that characterization :)

As for the potential rudeness at the other site. I think I see what you mean, but I think it comes out most in the political discussions, and since those are more heated and passionate topics than where to place your satellite, and that there are more political posts at DBSTalk, it kind of lends itself to a bit more harsh discussion. But, hey, you're a New Yorker, you can handle it ;)

I go to both sites and occasionally others. The DBSTALK Site downloads faster for me than Satellite Guys. Also the technical reference information at DBSTALK is useful. The Satellite Guys forums seem to be busier than DBSTALK.

I take back what I said earlier about a friendlier atmosphere here. It seems to me to be about the same on any of the satellite forum sites you go to now. The increased membership here has had something to do with that. The more poeple you have on a site the more likely that the atmosphere will not be as friendly, but I still prefer this site nevertheless and most are friendly, but have seen more unfriendliness lately than I used to.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)