Which satellite receiver to Get

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rjack97441

Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
illinois
I'm looking at getting my first satellite receiver and have been reading up on the various types of receiver on the market. I'm thinking of started out on the ku band with a 36" dish and then upgrading to the c band with something larger. I want to get a receiver that will handle both. Not quite ready for spending the money for a HD but if it's the direction the technology is going it would be worth to take a look. Therefore I have a few questions.

1. Some receiver state for ku/c signals. Won't all receivers decode both?

2. How important is it for the receiver to receive SCPC/MCPC?

3. Any brand better than the other?

4. The nfusion Phoenix has QPSK, is it worth the extra price?

Any other features I should look for?

Thanks

1.- Yes, generally.

2. -I dunno

3. - Yes, read a lot in this forum, come back and ask about your specific choice before purchase.

4. -NO

Last question - depends what you expect to do.

GL, Eric

That's a commonly asked question: which receiver.
Someone asked just last week.
See if you can search for similar threads , just in the general FTA Department.
Should get a list of recommended receivers to discuss, and some chatter on the popular ones.

Since your expectations are reasonable, I'll have to agree 100% with Oldford's reply above. - ;)

Here is why you may want to spend some extra money on a receiver. 125W is a good example, you can see and hear 1 PBS Montana station with a standard DVB receiver.

If you have AC3 capability you can see and hear other PBS channels.

If you have DVB S-2 8psk capability, you can also pickup Louisiana Public Broadcasting. If you have HD you can also pick up LPB-1 and two more PBS feeds.

I'm looking at getting my first satellite receiver ...

4. The nfusion Phoenix has QPSK, is it worth the extra price?

Any other features I should look for?

Thanks

IMO, if you aren't ready for HD, consider this...

My question is, what DVB FTA receiver doesn't have QPSK? Maybe you mean, 8PSK?

What is so popular about the nFusion nuvenio (now renamed the Phoenix) other than IKS?

I got a Coolsat 6000 off ebay real cheap to use as my first receiver. It works great and the motorized settings work great with a VBox 6.

But you can find real cheap receivers these days. On ebay I have seen HD receivers go for $100 or sometimes less.

But the Coolsat 6000 is a great starting receiver and they are cheap.

Thanks

Thanks everyone for the information. Did a search on ebay and found some good deals. guapoharry, your link was very helpful.

Thanks all

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts