Which Satellites should I be getting??

Spinerep

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 20, 2006
Waterloo,SC
Ok, I finally received my 622, now I am patiently waiting for April 1st to get another dish installed! My question is, which sats should the tech be aiming for if I sub to HD platinum w locals? Also, which sat will Greenville,SC local HD's be on? I known Im being paranoid, but after waiting a month for the install, I want to make damn sure the installer gets it right while he is here!!

Spinerep said:
Ok, I finally received my 622, now I am patiently waiting for April 1st to get another dish installed! My question is, which sats should the tech be aiming for if I sub to HD platinum w locals? Also, which sat will Greenville,SC local HD's be on? I known Im being paranoid, but after waiting a month for the install, I want to make damn sure the installer gets it right while he is here!!
your DMA (Asheville, Greenville,Spoartanburg) is a D-500 DMA....Looks like the texh will be installing a D-1000..If you have Line of sight to the 129 sat.....If not he will leave your D-500 as is and install a 61.5 wing dish....
*note*....this comes down from the brass at E* ..on w/o's such as this the tech is REQUIRED to bring a D-1000 and a 61.5 wing dish with him to prepare for either contingency.....hopefully he will show up with the proper equip to complete your install.....ACCEPT NO EXCUSES!!!!
Tech should have no problems completing this install. the only problem I have run into is if the cust has many trees around their house and both 129 and 61.5 are obscured..That happened to me once....once....Cust was real diappointed..I searched for quite some time to find a line of sight to no avail...
another note...don't let the tech BS you if he has to relocate or install the dish elesewhere on your property..His objective ois to complteet the install as ordered..I ahve heard stories where a tech faced with a time consuming D-1000 upgrade have made lame assed excuses to walk away..We are service people..That means we are there to perform customer service..Period..No excuses...

Spinerep said:
your DMA (Asheville, Greenville,Spoartanburg) is a D-500 DMA....Looks like the texh will be installing a D-1000..If you have Line of sight to the 129 sat.....If not he will leave your D-500 as is and install a 61.5 wing dish....
*note*....this comes down from the brass at E* ..on w/o's such as this the tech is REQUIRED to bring a D-1000 and a 61.5 wing dish with him to prepare for either contingency.....hopefully he will show up with the proper equip to complete your install.....ACCEPT NO EXCUSES!!!!
Tech should have no problems completing this install. the only problem I have run into is if the cust has many trees around their house and both 129 and 61.5 are obscured..That happened to me once....once....Cust was real diappointed..I searched for quite some time to find a line of sight to no avail...
another note...don't let the tech BS you if he has to relocate or install the dish elesewhere on your property..His objective ois to complete the install as ordered..I ahve heard stories where a tech faced with a time consuming D-1000 upgrade have made lame assed excuses to walk away..We are service people..That means we are there to perform customer service..Period..No excuses...

Having to re-locate your dish is not unreasonable. Especially if there are line of sight issues in relationship to the 1000 upgrade. I had a customer who got his upgrade to a 1000 and though he was receiving the 110 and 119 fine his 129 was low and good signal could not be reached from the original location. So I had moved the dish completely to a distance of about 125 feet from the original location. He now is getting upper 80's from the 129 and still over 100 for the 110 and 119. So if the tech needs to move your dish for better reception for ALL sat locations and you wish to enjoy more dependable viewing, then allow thew tech to do his job.

dishcomm said:
another note...don't let the tech BS you if he has to relocate or install the dish elesewhere on your property..His objective ois to complete the install as ordered..I ahve heard stories where a tech faced with a time consuming D-1000 upgrade have made lame assed excuses to walk away..We are service people..That means we are there to perform customer service..Period..No excuses...

WOW!! I guess that everything in your neck of the woods is that cut and dry and easy as pie. Theres several variables that come into play with any install just in where the dish(s) will have to go, then theres coax run lengths, then theres structure design wich is interior and exterior finish, then theres the customers expectations such as not wanting to see any coax or only wanting one coax for 6 tv's, and theres the amount of time alocated for that job and the rest of the techs workload. Yea we are service people but we dont go out with 2 jobs a day and we arent miracle workers either and we certainly arent in the military aswell.

blowlincoln said:
Having to re-locate your dish is not unreasonable. Especially if there are line of sight issues in relationship to the 1000 upgrade. I had a customer who got his upgrade to a 1000 and though he was receiving the 110 and 119 fine his 129 was low and good signal could not be reached from the original location. So I had moved the dish completely to a distance of about 125 feet from the original location. He now is getting upper 80's from the 129 and still over 100 for the 110 and 119. So if the tech needs to move your dish for better reception for ALL sat locations and you wish to enjoy more dependable viewing, then allow thew tech to do his job.
Never said it wasn't reasonable...re read the post..What I was alluding to was the tech not wanting to do something to make the job work...
Too many times I have read posts on this board of custs having to endure that antics of techs trying to convince the cust there was something they CAN'T do....
I am on your side here..I believe in doing whatever it takes within reason to get the job done...

Van said:
WOW!! I guess that everything in your neck of the woods is that cut and dry and easy as pie. Theres several variables that come into play with any install just in where the dish(s) will have to go, then theres coax run lengths, then theres structure design wich is interior and exterior finish, then theres the customers expectations such as not wanting to see any coax or only wanting one coax for 6 tv's, and theres the amount of time alocated for that job and the rest of the techs workload. Yea we are service people but we dont go out with 2 jobs a day and we arent miracle workers either and we certainly arent in the military aswell.
No certainly not..What you mention are very rare instances..in the examples you gave, custs are asking or worse, demanding a basically free install that is most definitely non-standard..
i have been at this for 8 years..i have seen it all..
I have done stuff far beyond the call of duty...As a customer service tech IMO it is incumbent upon us to get the job done....That said, I will do whatever a reasonable person would expect.....However where I think you are coming from is there are instances where something simply cannot be done..absolutely...
If we could go about cutting holes in sheet rock and other stuff that hi end sound companies do , we could do just about anything..But custs do not want to pay for that...So there ya have it...
I approach every job as though there is some way to get it done...My philosophy is to whatever it takes..I let the cust know that the job is complex and may require non standard labor which is chargeable on site...Obviously time constraints and consideration of the other jobs assigned that day come into play..

one thing I cannot get by is the stories I read of techs leaving their respective office with 5 and 6 installs....that is ridiculous...I think this way because that type of scheduling does not allow enough time to complete the work properly. Certain techs may have the desire to work 12-15 hr days( I refuse to do that) but we are dealing with the public. Their schedule may not fit he tech's..I I'll be damned if I would let a service gut into my home after 6 pm to start what could be a 5 hr job....Too many times I hear from custs that a tech rushed their way through the install only to have it fail and require a service call.....i have seen jobs done by supposed pros where cables were left hanging for the dish, systems not grounded, dishes placed in locations where an inevitable signal loss will take place.....
Currently we are seeing a severe downturn in the amount of work we get..But when we are busy 4 jobs the max I will take..
My thinking is a balance has to be struck between productivity and consideration for the customer...