which service is better VOOM or DTV

bigsezza

Original poster
Dec 11, 2004
I want to purchase a 50 " samsung dlp tv but I really dont want to spend the extra 300 for the DirectTV hdtv receiver...SO Id like to know if I should switch to VOOM and get all of the equipment for free...Any kind of help anyone can give me would be appreciated...just let me know if I should keep DTV and spend the xtra 300 for the receiver, or switch to VOOM...thanks for ur help

bigsezza said:
I want to purchase a 50 " samsung dlp tv but I really dont want to spend the extra 300 for the DirectTV hdtv receiver...SO Id like to know if I should switch to VOOM and get all of the equipment for free...Any kind of help anyone can give me would be appreciated...just let me know if I should keep DTV and spend the xtra 300 for the receiver, or switch to VOOM...thanks for ur help
Seems like a no brainer to me. try Voom for 6 months with free equipment or hand directv 300 bucks and a year commitment?

Welcome to the forum, bigsezza!
The answer depends on your personal preferences and priorities. Check the channel lineup and look around this forum for all pros and cons. If the top priority for you (as for many of us here) is to have as many HD channels as possible, the answer is obvious! For now, anyway!

Welcome to Satelliteguys!! :welcome

I agree with Ilya, it all depends on preference. Voom's biggest shortfall is it's lack of a DVR, which it's rumored to have sometime next year.

Browse both company's offers and see which one works out best for you and your family.

I have a sammy dlp and voom looks good on it. I would go with voom because you can lease the equipment.

I have Directv and VOOM and VOOM is without a doubt the way to go for HD. Check the lineup for VOOM to see if any ch's are missing that you cant live without. Directv's HD offering just isnt enough for me. Voom's exclusive ch's are getting better and better. When you lease the equipment its a good way to try out the service without getting hurt in the pocket if you do want to go to Directv. The 2 standout features Directv has is THE SUNDAY TICKET which has alot of games in HD and your local ch's (which they offer CBSDT and NBCDT in O&O markets). Check to see what people in your area are pulling in OTA as far as digital local ch's go. If there are local ch's that you arent able to receive than you wont be able to watch them because VOOM doesnt offer locals through their sat yet. I think they will in the very near future. Good luck!!!

VegasVoomer said:
I think another big shortfall for Voom is no PPV. Would have liked to have seen the fight tonight.

Good point...forgot about the non PPV option. They really must start offering PPV.

vurbano said:
yes If you've got 1000.00 bucks laying around go for the Directv HD DVR! LMAO
If you don't have $899 laying around for an HD DVR, try poker, that is where I got mine! Along with an Xbox, wireless controllers and 10 software titles.

VegasVoomer said:
I think another big shortfall for Voom is no PPV. Would have liked to have seen the fight tonight.
In defense of Voom, DirecTV has only one HD PPV channel and it will remain this way until April or May of 2005.

Both providers have their own up and down side. Voom hands down has the most HD (today). D* has the best program offering with family and WAF (Wife Approval Factor) not to mention the per-channel value is much greater.

bigsezza said:
I would like to point out that the equipment is not free, you actually just rent it, unless you buy it. After many comparisons of programming and rates I found out that C-Band is still the best deal, because unlike Dish, Direct and Voom you can purchase just the programming you want to watch. I just added a second 4DTV system and only subscribe to ESPN, ESPN2 and the Golf Channel for less than $50.00 per YEAR on that system. My other system has the rest of my programming such as HBO/Cinamax ( 27 channels of digital) and the other standards for less than $ 400.00 per year. Ask around and have the other services give you programming cost quotes and I think you will find that C-Band is the best value for programming cost. I have tried Dish and Direct both and it was going to be an additional $20.00 plus dollars per month for adding the golf channel.

oldieslover said:
I would like to point out that the equipment is not free, you actually just rent it, unless you buy it. After many comparisons of programming and rates I found out that C-Band is still the best deal, because unlike Dish, Direct and Voom you can purchase just the programming you want to watch.
"The C-Band equipment required is a big mesh dish, "BUD" as many people refer to..... 6 foot or larger, an analog or analog/digital receiver. Systems start at $899 and up... A full blown HDTV system approx $1999."

The above is a price quote I received. Ouch.

c-band.gif

Where would I put this wonderful piece of art?

I had a 10' dish with a 4DTV receiver before I bought my 61" Samsung DLP. After much research, I went with Voom as my only satellite source as in my opinion, Voom offered way more HD content than anyone and at the time there was leased equipment and free install.

Since you're getting a Ferrari TV, you won't be happy unless you're seeing more HD content. Real HD content really makes the Samsung DLP shine. Once you see it, you'll never go back. Ever.

I just installed my second 4dtv system about 2 weeks ago and total cost for the system was $550.00. This was a new Motorola 922 with a salvaged dish from a neighbor who moved and couldn't put up the system at his new residence. Nowhere to put the dish in an apartment. He's already complaining about the PQ from the local TW cable company. Could have had his old Toshiba Trx, but was analog only. Since this system is only for sports etc. for me, programming is only $42.50 per YEAR, which means even after paying for the system and my sports programming for a year I will have less invested than I would with ANY of the small dish systems for one year just to get the golf channel.

I'm switching from Directv to VOOM hopefully Wednesday. (delayed equipment shipping first attempt) I have a 50" panasonic Projection LCD and after watching High Def, I had to switch to VOOM. I made my decision solely on High Def content. High Def is the "crack" of high tech. Once you get a taste, you have to have it! Directv only gives you a taste. If channel lineup is an issue, I suggest you print off both lineups and mark what you truely watch. You'll be suprised that you won't be giving many channels you actaully watch up. I wasted my money on the purchase of the equipment from directv and encourage you not to do the same.

oldieslover said:
I would like to point out that the equipment is not free, you actually just rent it, unless you buy it. After many comparisons of programming and rates I found out that C-Band is still the best deal, because unlike Dish, Direct and Voom you can purchase just the programming you want to watch. I just added a second 4DTV system and only subscribe to ESPN, ESPN2 and the Golf Channel for less than $50.00 per YEAR on that system. My other system has the rest of my programming such as HBO/Cinamax ( 27 channels of digital) and the other standards for less than $ 400.00 per year. Ask around and have the other services give you programming cost quotes and I think you will find that C-Band is the best value for programming cost. I have tried Dish and Direct both and it was going to be an additional $20.00 plus dollars per month for adding the golf channel.
And the dish would be how big ? total cost for your system/equipment ?

Total cost of installing second dish ( used 10' channel master ) and pipe to mount it and purchasing new Motorola 922 plus 1year of programming ESPN, ESPN2 and golf channel was around $500.00. Took a couple of days work to dig a hole and pour concrete around the post and mount the dish. Don't think you can get a " free dish " and install and the programming I have for a lesser amount from any other service. While I was out my initial investment the first year, next year while I'm paying $50.00 for another YEAR ( maybe the cost will go up slightly as most things do ) the MONTHLY payments to one of the small dish services will be about that much. I won't even go into resale value of used equipment. If any of the other providers can even come close to matching this I would like to hear about it.