Which Splitter to use

handymantoo

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Oct 21, 2009
northeast
I would like to split my OTA signal. I have a 5-1000 mhz 2 way splitter and a 5-2150 mhz 2 way splitter. Which do I use for this application? and when would I use the other?

Either one will work for OTA. The broadcast spectrum currently ends at around 700 MHz. The 5-2150 could be used with cable TV if necessary.

Be aware that splitting the signal, just like splitting your garden hose two ways, results in half the signal strength out of each splitter output.

Maybe use a distribution amp instead of a splitter?
I use a CM-3418 8 port dist. amp and it works real well, but I'm running lines to six TV's, not just two. If using the splitter degrades the signal too much then check into dist. amps.

A Raine... With the CM-3418 distribution amp, how do signal levels on the output compare to the signal level going in? Do you get any gain or do you lose a little?
Thanks
Larry
SF

A Raine... With the CM-3418 distribution amp, how do signal levels on the output compare to the signal level going in? Do you get any gain or do you lose a little?
Thanks
Larry
SF

It keeps the signal pretty much the same, no loss, no gain. If I don't use it with the runs to all six TV's, then the signal is dragged down so far on most channels that they're not watchable. With it, it's just like I had just one run to one TV hooked up.

Wont feeding a pre-amp into a distr. amp overload the line?

Haven't had any problem like that with mine. I'm using a Winegard AP-8275 pre-amp running into the CM-3418 distribution amp and it's been great. The dist. amp I have pretty much keeps the same level on all the outputs as what comes in and doesn't boost the signal any.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)