Which to get

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Edwin33

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2006
I need to get a new satellite. If you had a choice between the 90cm Dish with the Fortec Star Mercury II receiever from sadoun, or the Winegard 90cm dish with the Pansat 3500SD reciever, which would you get?

Also, since all i really want to do is pick up IA5 should I bother upgrading to the Invacom SNH-031 from Sadoun or is the stock LNBF good?

If all you are looking for is IA5, the stock LNB works fine. I'd make sure its a standard LNB and not a Universal :)

The Mercury II sounds like a really good unit. I havent personally worked with it but from reading reviews, that may be the best way to go :)

I can highly recommend the Invacom SNH-031 LNBF as well as being GOLD sponsors here they are fantastic LNB's It is a Universal LNBF not that it matters.

Iceberg, why did you say to make sure that I get a standard LNB and not universal?

Edwin33 said:
Also, since all i really want to do is pick up IA5 should I bother upgrading to the Invacom SNH-031 from Sadoun or is the stock LNBF good?
Warning: It's addictive. I thought I had the will-power to resist the Siren song of the other satellites. I was wrong. Originally I ordered just a receiver to just get G10R using an old 75e dish I had sitting around. I lasted almost 2 weeks before I gave in to the urges and was back at Sadoun ordering a 90cm dish, Invacom SNH-031 LNBF, and HH120 motor. They have some nice motorized packages and no matter what you think now, once you get setup you'll want more and more and more... :)

So do you guys think I should go with the Invacom LNBF or can I just stick to the stock one offered by Sadoun (and do I have to get the universal or upgrade to Standard...I don't even know what the difference is)?

With KU Band there are 2 “bands”. A low band and a high band. A Universal will get both bands but a Standard only gets the high band.

In North America, there is only one satellite that needs a Universal LNB and that is PAS9 (58 degrees west). Universal LNB’s are big in Europe where most of the satellites have a low and high band.

In my mind, the standard is easier to work with. I’ve had some troubles with Universals and aiming a dish.

So I think I'm going to order the following, how does this look?

S2 System with dish and Mercury II reciever
Upgrade to KUL1 Standard LNBF
Upgrade to 90u dish

I think I'll just hold off on the Invacom if it might be tricky to set up because all I want is IA5 anyways.

Awesome, I think I'll get that today. Are there any new promotions or anything that might save me a little $$? :)

Sadouns S2 system COMES with a UNIVERSAL LNBF :)

As I stated a Universal LNBF will work PERFECTLY especially on a fixed system when the LNBF is set only once.

PSB, do you think I should just get the regular universal LNBF then? Because they do offer an "upgrade" to Standard for free.

I agree if you do not go for the Invacom (GOLD SPONSORS) I would get a standard LNBF ;)

PSB, do you think the Invacom LNBF is that much harder to set up than the regular standard LNBF, considering I'm not experienced at all?

No, after entering UNIVERSAL in the antenna setup screen you are done. Iceberg is right it will take a wee bit longer to scan a satellite but what the hey!

You can even speed that up by setting it up as a STANDARD and use 10600 as the L.O.

What about the skew angle? Do I still have to twist the Invacom LNBF?

Yes skew is still needed with all LNB's unless you are pointing True South.

Is this still simple given that the Invacom has a linear shape, whearas the standard is bent at an angle?

Status
Please reply by conversation.