Which Voom Channels Would You Get Rid Of?

smodak

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jan 13, 2004
Personally I do not watch Rush, Rave, Ultra, Auction, Moov, Gallery regularly, but I would rather have them than the SD duplicates (e.g TNT/ESPN etc.)

Where is the choice "None at this time"?

I see no need to dump anything unless there is a reason for it. If it would help PQ or leave a slot for other programming, I'd consider it. Remember, just because you dont watch it, doesn't mean it's useless.

TechCop said:
I see no need to dump anything unless there is a reason for it. If it would help PQ or leave a slot for other programming, I'd consider it. Remember, just because you dont watch it, doesn't mean it's useless.

The SD duplicates are useless.

I vote for none of the above - Voom still needs more everything! Contractually, you can't get rid of the SD duplicates so it is not a valid option. Plus, I still want my 39 HD channels and a handful of must have SD channels (USA, Lifetime, Sci-Fi, etc.).

Riff...<EOT>

If it would help the picture quality, I voted for some of the cinema 10 channels. I think they could be consolidated. They could offer the same content, which would result in fewer repeats. I have trouble seeing the downside to this if it would really help to improve the picture quality.

If that arrogant A$$ Dolan would just consolidate 3 channels. We could bump the 12mbps up to 13 mbps. MOOV is worthless., Ultra, gallery and equator could be one channel. thats 3 slots right there. 3*12= 36 mbps. distributed over 37-3 = 34 channels. After that combining cinema 10 to cinema 5 and running 4 movies a day instead of 2 would result in 5*12= 60mbps free, distributed over 34-5 = 29 channels@13 mbps would yeild 29 HD channels at 15 mbps. We could be looking at almost HDnet quality on every freaking channel!

But no we have to look at worthless demo loops on equatorhd, reruns on worldsport, flugtag on rush, and acid trips Moov. All at glorious 12mbps(saracasm here for the newbies) running at lower power than any other sat service.

And now for arguement that PQ is not directly proportional to bitrate, cough cough..........

Operator7 said:
Most of the channels above are garbage, but for some reason people love them and defend the great programming on them.
The problem as I see it is that the channels are not channels but rather "programs" or a few programs over and over again. These programs need to be combined on 1/2 of the channels with less repeating, less complaining, resulting in more available bandwidth for picture quality. You dont have to trash the programming to reduce the channels! then wait till you have more bandwidth and add channels slowly when you have the content. But keep a superior PQ as advertised. Right now its not better than anything else, maybe worse.

What about the music channels?? Who listens to them? I on a very very rare occasion will turn one on but I find that their "genre" is not always what I would expect. I say do away with all or most of them. I know this may not be a huge gain in bitrate, but it would be a minimal loss for some gain.

I don't see why we need the duplicate TNT and Movie channels, Seems to be it would be a no-brainer to remove duplicates. If it yields any sort of gain with a little or no impact to the customer then dump them.

I would ditch Epics HD retroactively since the start of the service to get an Epics channel that shows real epics. As is the "world cinema" and current non-epics can compete for the artsy-fartsy crowd.

The only thing this thread proves is that we all have different tastes. Dumping SD dupes seems like them most painless way to go, but I'm sure it's a contract issue.

I am an unrepentant artsy-fartsy myself. The movies channels were the biggest draw.

wittangamo said:
I am an unrepentant artsy-fartsy myself. The movies channels were the biggest draw.

Me too. And I listen to the music channels all day in my home-based office.

For those who say "the channels above are garbage" what do you like? The premium movie channels? Okay. Sports channels? No comment. SD channels with 5 minutes of commercials for every 10 minutes of programming and infomercials? Yawn.

The only unanimous agreement here is to dump the dupe SD channels.

And perhaps condense some Cinema10.

There was some consolidation when Epics was moved to Cinema 10 to make room for Equator HD. I think Epics should actually show Epics. I'm sorry, but a 45-90min movie isn't an Epic!!!! One that is 3-5 hours long and requires an intermission is :)

Model all the Cinema 10 channels after Monsters HD (more than 2 movies per day even though it still repeats movies throughout the month) I would change the Cinema 10 and Exclusives like this:

Cinema 1-Space (using Sci-Fi HD probably isn't an option)
Cinema 2-World Cinema
Cinema 3-Monsters
Cinema 4-Serials (Mini-Series)
Cinema 5-Family (wholesome movies)
Cinema 6-Classics
Cinema 7-Epics
Cinema 8-Gunslingers
Cinema 9-Divine
Cinema 10-Variety (anything that doesn't fit in the other 9)

Rave (1 concert per night repeted for the west coast, red couch VJs and music videos rest of time)
Rush
Arts & Culture (formerly MOOV, Equator, Ultra, Auction, Gallery)
Animania
Tank HD (what can I say 3 hours isn't enough for me, and would be great as daytime background)
HD News
WorldSport

That's only 17. I couldn't think of anything else to get to 21 channels without repeating, but it would open up some space for channels that wouldn't have repetitive content.

I think once VOOM grows in subscriber base they will have the weight they need to demand removal of SD duplicates. Right now they can't make demands as the channels could care less about approximately 22,000 lost subs.

bbtkd said:
The SD duplicates are useless.
Except for TNT. Until they convert all TNT shows to Non-Stretch-O-Vision, I prefer the 4:3 image.

They actually showed a movie in HD over the weekend, Tombstone, I think. I didn't watch it but the PQ was very good. :yes

cmslick3 said:
What about the music channels?? Who listens to them? I on a very very rare occasion will turn one on but I find that their "genre" is not always what I would expect. I say do away with all or most of them. I know this may not be a huge gain in bitrate, but it would be a minimal loss for some gain.

i agree, I don't see the need for the "Music Choice" channels, or whatever they call them (852-885). I get satellite radio, which offers more choice in commercial-free music anyway. But I assume the music channels don't use up much bandwidth so it might not really save anything.

The biggest gain would be if they could get rid of duplicate SD channels. Standard contracts probably require them to carry them, but those contracts were written with other cable and sat companies in mind. Voom needs to sit down with HBO, Showtime, etc. and renegotiate -- explain that Voom is not like cable systems, the Voom receiver allows people to view the HD channels even on an SD set, so the networks are not going to be losing any viewers if they drop the SD feed.

mike528 said:
i agree, I don't see the need for the "Music Choice" channels, or whatever they call them (852-885). I get satellite radio, which offers more choice in commercial-free music anyway. But I assume the music channels don't use up much bandwidth so it might not really save anything.

The biggest gain would be if they could get rid of duplicate SD channels. Standard contracts probably require them to carry them, but those contracts were written with other cable and sat companies in mind. Voom needs to sit down with HBO, Showtime, etc. and renegotiate -- explain that Voom is not like cable systems, the Voom receiver allows people to view the HD channels even on an SD set, so the networks are not going to be losing any viewers if they drop the SD feed.
forget getting rid of sd duplicates, it is NOT going to happen for YEARSSSSSSSSS.

Where's Bravo HD? It's only point was to show the Olympics. And now it won't happen. I would dump all in poll. Just keep about 3-4 Cinema channels including Monsters and AMC-HD when active. I know I'm in the minority, but I just can't watch bad programming, even if it's in HD.

bryan27 said:
There was some consolidation when Epics was moved to Cinema 10 to make room for Equator HD. I think Epics should actually show Epics. I'm sorry, but a 45-90min movie isn't an Epic!!!! One that is 3-5 hours long and requires an intermission is :)

Model all the Cinema 10 channels after Monsters HD (more than 2 movies per day even though it still repeats movies throughout the month) I would change the Cinema 10 and Exclusives like this:

Cinema 1-Space (using Sci-Fi HD probably isn't an option)
Cinema 2-World Cinema
Cinema 3-Monsters
Cinema 4-Serials (Mini-Series)
Cinema 5-Family (wholesome movies)
Cinema 6-Classics
Cinema 7-Epics
Cinema 8-Gunslingers
Cinema 9-Divine
Cinema 10-Variety (anything that doesn't fit in the other 9)

Rave (1 concert per night repeted for the west coast, red couch VJs and music videos rest of time)
Rush
Arts & Culture (formerly MOOV, Equator, Ultra, Auction, Gallery)
Animania
Tank HD (what can I say 3 hours isn't enough for me, and would be great as daytime background)
HD News
WorldSport

That's only 17. I couldn't think of anything else to get to 21 channels without repeating, but it would open up some space for channels that wouldn't have repetitive content.

I think once VOOM grows in subscriber base they will have the weight they need to demand removal of SD duplicates. Right now they can't make demands as the channels could care less about approximately 22,000 lost subs.
combine rush and worldsport. They repeated horribly. Drop the all time loser flug tag if you have too. thats just an embarrassment. You are dreaming about Voom dropping sd channels. no one else has. And I doubt voom will ever have 12 million subs like d*. I shudder to think what the cable number is. LMAO

I voted "Other". I do not see a need to get rid of anything! Neither now, nor down the road:

1. VOOM is not using its maximum capacity yet.

2. The second satellite will be available in 3-4 months.

3. MPEG4/WM9 can be rolled out if the bandwidth becomes an issue.

Just keep adding new channels. No need to sacrifice anything!

vurbano said:
The problem as I see it is that the channels are not channels but rather "programs" or a few programs over and over again. These programs need to be combined on 1/2 of the channels with less repeating, less complaining, resulting in more available bandwidth for picture quality. You dont have to trash the programming to reduce the channels! then wait till you have more bandwidth and add channels slowly when you have the content. But keep a superior PQ as advertised. Right now its not better than anything else, maybe worse.

I said this my first day here and have been saying it fo two months. But Voom still doesn't admit it has any PQ problems, aside from the glaringly obvious mosquitos and stutters.

Apparently, one of the survey questions Voom is asking people is: will you accept a larger dish to get 26 additional HD channels. NOT AGAIN! They couldn't say "over 20 channels" or "at least 20". They have to go with a number. They're going to repeat the mistake of promoting we have X number of channels and lock themselves into it. So when it turns out they don't have adequate bandwidth, they'll screw PQ again in favor of quantity. And why not? They're getting away with it so far.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)