Which was the worse NFL strike- 1982 or 1987?

SabresRule

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Apr 15, 2008
Wisconsin
With the NFL season drawing closer,

I was thinking about the two years that were shortened by a strike- one year resulted in games cancelled, the other resulted in substitute players, or 'scabs.'

Two questions:

1. Which strike was worse?

2. What exactly were the reasons that led to both strikes?

P.S. Both of these seasons had a unique connection, BTW.

I'm too young to remember the strike in '82, but I think that had to be worse. They cancelled 7 weeks of the season that year and only had a 9 game season. I vaguely remember the strike in '87 which led to only one cancelled game and 3 games with scabs. That wasn't nearly as disruptive as the strike in '82. Although some teams benefited like the Redskins, whose scabs went 3-0. While the SB champion Giants' scabs went 0-3 and they missed the playoffs. As I recall, the strike ended when some regular players crossed the picket lines and joined the scabs. The sight of Joe Montana leading the scab 49ers was enough to bring everyone to their senses.

I think your connection is the Redskins won the SB in both seasons.

Did you know.....

That if you remove the games with the replacement players from the 1987 season, you still get the exact same order in the standings? Says a lot about coaching, I think.

Both strikes were wonderful, because we (as in all strikes in any industry its consumers vs. strikers) won both.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)