Which WiFi Adapter works with Joey, and Some Problems With Home Media Controls

jcracken

Original poster
Jun 16, 2013
United States
Hi everybody, and sorry if this question has already been answered as I'm new to working with my DVR extensively, but I have a TVMOBiLi server on my home network that I've configured so that my Dish Hopper and one of the Joey's that has a direct Ethernet connection can connect to it. However, I have two other Joey's that need a direct connection to the internet to use the Home Media server. Is there any WiFi Adapter I can buy to connect it through WiFi? It won't be very feasible for me to connect either through Ethernet. My second question is, I have a problem when using the server on the devices that can see it in the first place. When playing media off of it, I can't fast forward or rewind at all. I googled around and found a thread that describes the same problem (I can't link to it as I'm a new user, the thread is on this site and its name is "Hopper Home Media Controls") but there it's just accepted as a flaw and yet I haven't found this issue anywhere else, so it doesn't seem very widespread. Do I need to change my server somehow to get this to work? Thanks ahead of time.

Just enable bridging in the hopper broadband menu. That will pass the IP to the Joey's.

Thank you for that--I thought it had already been enabled and when I talked to a Dish tech support agent she said that I needed to use a direct Ethernet cable. So that question has been answered, but I still have the other question about not being able to go forwards or backwards.

Thank you for that--I thought it had already been enabled and when I talked to a Dish tech support agent she said that I needed to use a direct Ethernet cable. So that question has been answered, but I still have the other question about not being able to go forwards or backwards.

I'm not home to test this but what if you use a different media server? If I recall correctly you should have that functionality but I haven't used that in quite a while.

I'm not home to test this but what if you use a different media server? If I recall correctly you should have that functionality but I haven't used that in quite a while.

I tried a couple other servers--PS3 Media, Plex and LXiMediaCenter. PS3 Media didn't show up at all, Plex would only let me access the channels I installeld (Hulu and Vimeo), but if I hit fast forward or rewind absolutely nothing would happen. LXi showed me my media, but the same thing would happen with fast-forwarding or reversiong. With TVMOBiLi it doesn't do that exactly. Here's what exactly happens: www . youtube . com/watch?v=DIaiiJqyRBg
As you can see, it goes forward for about 10-20 seconds, resets back to where it started, goes forward a random amount again, then resets and keeps doing this.

I tried a couple other media servers--PS3 (didn't work at all), Plex (wouldn't display my local media, playing back channels would result in forward/reverse not working at all), LXiMedia (showed media but had same problem as Plex). The problem with TVMOBiLi is different than those, though. With those, you can't reverse/forward at all. With TVMOBiLi, it would go forward a few seconds, jump back to where it started, go forward a few seconds, and repeat. Here's a youtube video code of it happening: /watch?v=DIaiiJqyRBg

I was able to fix the problem--turning off transcoding fixes the problem, but as a result a bunch of the videos won't play due to different format. I'm fine with toggling it on and off for those certain files, but the files that need to be transcoded won't be able to go forwards/reverse as a result. I'm going to create a post about this in the TVMOBiLi forum to see if they are able to fix this in a future release.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts