Which would you rather have

Which would you rather have ....

• Full Resolution, Full Bitrate 720p HDTV!

Votes: 67 83.8%
  • The current HD Lite offered by Echostar?

Votes: 13 16.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
OK, I had too much rum in the last hour ... IIRC, 720p is a HIGHER bitrate than 1080i

DOH!

If that is correct ... CAN IT!

1080i requires a higher birate than 720p, for the same level of compression. Field resolution for 1080i is 1920 x 1080 / 2 = ~1.04 million total pixels, for 720p is 1280 x 720 = ~.92 million pixels

Last edited:
epsilon said:
1080i requires a higher birate than 720p, for the same level of compression. Field resolution for 1080i is 1920 x 1080 / 2 = ~1.04 million total pixels, for 720p is 1280 x 720 = ~.92 million pixels
Thanks, now I only feel half as dumb. I too would rather have 720p full bitrate, full bandwidth .... but for 800,000 (right) pixels ... I don't think this would work either.

As I said in another thread, I think the only way we will see full bitrate MPEG4 again is if they ever get MPEG4 working properly, or if the FCC gives them more bandwidth.

Unfortunately now as more and more new channels come online it is no longer a satellite provider issue, its a bandwidth issue.

epsilon said:
If you want count bandwidth then you didn't finish the equation; if you attempted to count pixels, then you 're wrong - do not divide by 2. The "field resolution" is artificial unit; screen have ~2 mil pixels, 1 sec of stream ( bandwidth ) doesn't count that way.

With limited bandwidth I guess the real question is quality or quantity. Everyone has a list of more HD channels they want added(I know I have)to the current HD line-up, but with every new channel, it seems to make it more unlikely that quality will improve. I personally would like to see a reduction of redundant SD channels to free bandwidth space......and perhaps re-evaluate the current HD selection and perhaps make some hard choices. I like variety, but half of the Voom channels could be combined programming(less repeats) and that would free significant bandwidth. I know I'm dreaming, but Dish needs to get creative to keep its competitive edge.

slacker9876 said:
OK, I had too much rum in the last hour ... IIRC, 720p is a HIGHER bitrate than 1080i

DOH!

If that is correct ... CAN IT!
Depending on the 1080I material and your TV converting it to 720P can look a lot worse than HD-lite. Resolution wise a lot has to go.

But I don't want HD-lite, so I cannot give an answer on this poll.

Last edited:
Where is my third option?

My TV won't accept 720p, only 1080i, so count me in for neither. I know my receiver can convert the 720p to 1080i, but why would I want another conversion.

Definitely don't want all channels 720p, but I would like to see higher bittrate on some of the channels.

Yeah like Scott said its bandwidth issue which every carrier runs into! Either way lets just hope Dish keeps putting up more new birds to help with the payload. I know they have plans for one new bird next year maybe it will help some. Replace what old birds they have now with new ones that can handle the bandwidth better.. So let see what the "EchoStar XI" will do in 07.. :)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts