White springs TV died

Status
Please reply by conversation.

turbosat

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Dec 26, 2006
Oneonta,AL
Right in the middle of a movie, the signal went poof. Don't watch the channel much, but decided to this afternoon and off it went. Does it do this often?
Don't know where the uplink is ,maybe its storming there.

Just checked, and nothing there. I blind scanned the bird with the Coolsat 5000 but no sign of it. Hopefully nothing serious, there is nothing about it on their home page. I watch that station quite a bit, hope it will be back.

White Springs is about a 20 minute drive north of me and we've been having some powerful storm fronts pass through here, the last couple of days. More storms coming tonight, tomorrow and Thursday. It probably is weather related, and it may happen again.:(

thanks everyone, that was prob the same system that went thru (or is still going thru) SE Ala right now, affecting N Fl and SW Georgia too.

It's nice knowing you have a diverse group from across NA to check things.It's bad when I know I got more rain coming tomorrow lol.Keep your rain down south lol.Leave us Canadians alone. :p

My only problem with WSTV is that they overdrive the audio. That goes for the radio signal on the same transponder. Sometimes it's so bad I cant listen to it.

Hell, I'll take the ruff stuff here in coastal Texas if I get 4-5 inches of rain with it, about once a week for a month should get us close to caught up. The first 2 weeks worth to soak in, the other two to top off the resevoirs. We are still in serious drought mode here. This is rice country and the rice canals are dry and the bayous they pump from are brackish w/gulf water 30 miles inland due to no flow.
TRG, you dont find thr PQ a bit distracting? Someone let their secret out a while back. They screen the movies on an old bedsheet...........lol
Maybe they use a tin pail for a speaker enclosure and a #3 tub for a sub-woofer.

Last edited:
TRG, you dont find thr PQ a bit distracting?

Yes, but considering the age of a lot of those movies its not too bad. Clipping the audio on WSTV and TalkStar network in inexcusable though. If I dont turn the sound down before switching to 129 the speakers really blast your ears. But hey, its free so I guess I cant bitch too much. ;)

The audio quality poor and I agree it sounds to be driven into distortion, but like you pointed out the original quality for the period was very low tech and add to that the degeneration from the original quality before being re-masterd probably plays a part as well.
I realized the Genre goes hand in hand with the overall broadcast quality, but it would be nice if they cleaned up the quality a few thousand percent.

The audio quality poor and I agree it sounds to be driven into distortion, but like you pointed out the original quality for the period was very low tech and add to that the degeneration from the original quality before being re-masterd probably plays a part as well.
I realized the Genre goes hand in hand with the overall broadcast quality, but it would be nice if they cleaned up the quality a few thousand percent.

That wouldn't explain the poor audio quality on TalkStar though. Those shows are new.

That wouldn't explain the poor audio quality on TalkStar though. Those shows are new.

I had to take a listen before I commented. Playing thru the Hitachi internal speakers, I dont really hear any overdriving. The track two right channel is a bit 'hotter' than the left and a bit ahead of the left as well, but the level of the right seems comparable to the track one audio for the video. Neither produced undesirable effects when i increased the volume on the Hitachi to well above the volume needed to hear it virtually throughout in the house. Well above a comfortabele listening level for me anyway.............lol, but then, I'm what Ted Neugent calls too old..........lol
Whch is funny 'cause he's got few years on me!

PS - For reference/comparison purposes, this is on a CS 6000.

I've noticed that sound thing too , irks me at times. Most of the things they air sound ok though.
It's the video I complain over lol, there was an old b/w show on yesterday afternoon that was SOOOO washed out you could barely tell what the actors faces looked like.
I put a .90M primestar on it this afternoon though so I can instantly switch to Whitesprings if I want to take a peek without waiting for the motor.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts