Who all makes 1.8 m dishes?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

whatchel1

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Sep 30, 2006
Great High Plains
I'm looking to try and find a 1.8 M offset dish for a C/Ku mini bud. Who makes them? Who sells them? I will be going back to my old farm to see if the old c band dishes I used to have are still lying around and if they are will be getting an AJAX H2H drive off one to put on the dish.

Two manufacturers that come to mind immediately are Prodelin and Channel Master. The Prodelin 1.8 meter offset dishes are common in VSAT installations on gas stations, car dealerships, etc. Linuxman has this thread on modifying a 1.8M Prodelin, with lots of pictures...

You might be better off with a 1.8m prime-focus. All the combo C/Ku feeds I know about will work much better on a prime-focus compared to an offset, and for this size the price/shipping are very affordable (see Sadoun, for example). At 1.8m this qualifies as a real BUD :)

I'm with Pendragon on this.
If you were going to spend the money on a new Prodelin or ChannelMaster 1.8m offset, that'd be expensive.
A 1.8m Fortec prime focus would probably be lighter, and wouldn't need the down-look wedge to adapt it to an AJAK H-H motor.
Then, there is the matter of feeds matching the dish, as he pointed out.
As for the size, do you have room for an 8' BUD? :rolleyes:

edit:
There is the possibility that the Ku part of a Ck-1 or DMX741 would better match an offset dish.
However, that's an opinion/theory, and I don't believe anyone has shown it to be fact. ;)
Then of course, a conical scalar, would take care of matching the C-band to an offset dish.

Satcom Resources ASC Signal Antenna I would check out one of our Gold Sponsors. They will save you money on a prime-focus over an offset. If you have access to a free one or very cheap, well there you go. I have been trying to get my hands on a 6' offset for a while, just to play with. I have more then enough dishes according to my wife, but I kind of think she might be wrong. I need many more. I'm just getting started

Prime focus

A prime focus 1.8 meter (6ft) dish isn't really 2 degree compatible where as an offset is. So the two of you that are talking about those have missed the point of the whole thing. As far using a standard prime focus then I would look at trying to get a free unused 10ft C/KU mesh dish. I have thought of both. The adaption of the AJAK H2H isn't that big of a thing. And as you finally thought to mention is use of the conical scalar, those are inexpensive. I'm looking at unused dishes at present that I may be able to get for free. I'm just thinking about if I want to do it or not. So this is only something I'm looking into right now and not even sure if I'm going to do it. I'm was just wondering who makes the offset 1.8 dishes. Right now it is a curiosity and right now a mental exercise so just asking questions at this point. Not sure I'm gonna go back to a C/KU setup being as I get all the "cable" stuff in HD off E*.

A prime focus 1.8 meter (6ft) dish isn't really 2 degree compatible where as an offset is. So the two of you that are talking about those have missed the point of the whole thing.

An offset 1.8m is going to have virtually the identical beamwidth as a prime-focus 1.8m. So neither will be "2 degree compatible" for C-band, and both will be "2 degree compatible for" Ku-band. You can't fool Mother Nature. The only advantages I can see for an offset would be less likelihood for snow accumulation and no feed shadowing. The latter happens to be too small to be significant.

As far using a standard prime focus then I would look at trying to get a free unused 10ft C/KU mesh dish.

That's the right path for C-band. It may or may not be able to do Ku-band as effectively as a smaller antenna. I happen to think a 10' prime-focus dedicated to C-band and a 1.2m offset dedicated to Ku is a hard combination to beat.

In a few months we will be offering a GEOSATpro 1.8M Offset with polar mount and locking bar to be used for fixed installations. Final retail cost is not established, but it will be considerably less expensive than the brands listed. :D

Stay tuned for more information as the release date gets closer.

Mosters to hang and monsters to ship!

Attachments

• GEOSATpro1.8M.jpg
    GEOSATpro1.8M.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 281
  • 1.8M-Mount-2008.jpg
    1.8M-Mount-2008.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 282
Nice lookin' dish, Brian. - :up

Shipping a 6' solid is going to be a challenge, though.

What's the f/d gonna be?

I'm in the same boat :), looking for a cheap 1.8m offset Ku, here in Miami Channel Master/Andrews/ASC Signal 1.8m offset fiberglass is around 399+taxes, I can rescue a 10' C-Band mesh for $75 but is too big :mad:

In a few months we will be offering a GEOSATpro 1.8M Offset with polar mount and locking bar to be used for fixed installations. Final retail cost is not established, but it will be considerably less expensive than the brands listed. :D

Stay tuned for more information as the release date gets closer.

Mosters to hang and monsters to ship!

I want one on the side of my house:)

I'm guessing that dish is to big/heavy to go UPS or FedEx package, will it have to be shipped LTL freight?

I've had LTL stuff shipped to the carrier's local terminal for pickup at their dock, it's cheaper than home delivery. Plus you can inspect for damage at that point, and if there is a problem, initiate a claim. :(

Maybe Brian can post some more specs (weight?) and pics soon.

A holder that would handle a CK-1 would be very nice, and maybe an adapter to install a 40mm Ku LNBF in that holder?. :up

Definitely want to see what the stock polar mount is like but I'm already having visions of one of these sweeping the Clarke Belt while attached to a BV/AJAK H-H mount. :D

WSI shows a 1.8m prime focus with a ground mount on their site, not showing up on Galaxy maketing's site yet though.

A few additional details:
Estimated delivery - December 2009
Hanging Weight - Sorry, did not place on scales before mounting (approx. 110lbs?)
Shipping - Ground Freight in Custom Crating
We opted to upgrade the mount to a Polar Mount type to better serve the hobbyists (adds a few $$$, but sets it apart from any other offset on the market).

Model - GEOSATpro 1.8M OP (Offset Polar)
Reflector Type - Offset
Offset Angle - 23 degrees
Efficiency - 80%
Horizontal Axis - 180cm (70.86")
Vertical Axis - 195cm (76.77")
Gain @12.5 GHz - 47dB
Focal Distance - 108cm (42.52")
F/D Ratio - 0.6
LNBF Mount - 40mm and 60mm
Mount Type - Polar Mount (w/lock bar for fixed AZ Operation)
Azimuth Range - 360 degrees
Elevation Range - 0 to 90 degrees
Mounting Pole Diameter - 89mm (3.5")
Operational Temperature - -40c - +60c degrees
Operational Wind - 90 km/h (56mph)
Survival Wind - 180 km/h (112mph)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts