Who calls DiggersHotline?

pfan1981

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 16, 2008
Green Bay, WI
Installer didn't install at my inlaws because DiggersHotline didn't mark the underground lines.

Whose responsibility is it to call them??? Whenever I have scheduled installs (4 times now) they never asked me to call DiggersHotline and it's never been an issue until my inlaws.

Just curious,

pfan

But why on Earth is this an issue to install Satellite cable? The electric line most cases are atleast 18" in the ground. More like 3 feet. Atleast here in Pa. 2" pipe 4 inches in the gound, or 2 inches in the ground without pipe would not be an issue. I've never known E* techs to Bring a BackHoe with them.

Actually when I worked for dnsc we did it for the coustomer. We rescheduled the install after julie came out. The only time we had to do this was for a pole mount. When the installer realizes that they need to be called usally they do it and reschedule before leaving so the coustomer knows when they are coming back

Actually when I worked for dnsc we did it for the coustomer. We rescheduled the install after julie came out. The only time we had to do this was for a pole mount. When the installer realizes that they need to be called usally they do it and reschedule before leaving so the coustomer knows when they are coming back

This sort of service would have been fantastic! So there is a little confusion as to who has the responsibility of calling......interesting

As an inhouse tech if it is a pole mount the job still goes in but on a temp pad which is a patio paver or concrete block with dish attached to it, cable left on top of the ground. We call Digrite, as it is required to do so by Dish, and reschedule a day the following week to come back and put the pole in the ground and bury the cable. Sometimes after talking to the customer my post hole diggers are left there while I make a trip to the van and when I come back if there is a hole in the ground I will go ahead and set a pole at that time.

I surely hope the installer puts that pipe much deeper than 4" into the ground or you will have issues with it. I myself dig a minimum 2' hole and drive the pole another foot deeper, fill hole with concrete and put bolts thru the pole to hold it from turning as a smooth pole will turn even when set into concrete. 3' deep can do alot of damage to underground utilities.

Even if they mark the lines in your yard, like what happened with me, they can screw up. When my Neighbor's Fios line was installed, the digging company cut my existing cable, telephone, Fios, and Satellite lines. (electric line is under my driveway) After yelling at the top of my lungs to people who didn't speak ENGLISH, the owner came out and we had a good yelling match. I had each company come out to fix the mess and forward the bill directly to the digging company. After about a month, everything was back.

Even if they mark the lines in your yard, like what happened with me, they can screw up. When my Neighbor's Fios line was installed, the digging company cut my existing cable, telephone, Fios, and Satellite lines. (electric line is under my driveway) After yelling at the top of my lungs to people who didn't speak ENGLISH, the owner came out and we had a good yelling match. I had each company come out to fix the mess and forward the bill directly to the digging company. After about a month, everything was back.

:eek:

Installer didn't install at my inlaws because DiggersHotline didn't mark the underground lines.

Whose responsibility is it to call them??? Whenever I have scheduled installs (4 times now) they never asked me to call DiggersHotline and it's never been an issue until my inlaws.

Just curious,

pfan
When I worked for a Utility locating company, the locacte tickest were called in by the company doing the excavating. The client was the utility. They paid our company for locating their facilities.
However, there were instances where a homeownewr would call in to ULOCO because of a fence install or tree planting. The new thing is invisible fencing.
The satellite tech is under no obligation to call in locates. That's up to the homeowner.

But why on Earth is this an issue to install Satellite cable? The electric line most cases are atleast 18" in the ground. More like 3 feet. Atleast here in Pa. 2" pipe 4 inches in the gound, or 2 inches in the ground without pipe would not be an issue. I've never known E* techs to Bring a BackHoe with them.
This was discussed in another thread. Some posted info that indicated their state required a locate before any digging by contractor. Other states do not. Here in NC there is no requirement. Although I have read stories of techs refusing jobs unless a locate is done.

In that instance the company doing the excavating is responsible for any damages to utilities. They are responsible for calling in the locate.
If the locate is done and the marks are accurate, again the damages are charged to the excavation company

What really got me mad, no one knocked on my door and said they were going to be digging in my yard. It wasn't just two feet from my property line, it was directly in the middle of my three acres! I had to replant grass, scrubs, and flowers... just because the digging company couldn't follow a painted line on the ground. If it wasn't for my driveway, my in-ground power lines would have been cut as well. I had to knock a few cold beers down that day or I would have knocked some heads together. (I now have a large fence)

BTW, the company trenching your neghbors line had no right crossing your property unless the crossing was in a utility easement. The easement is marked on your property plat. If you have your plans to your home the land plat is part of the plans. If not, you can go to your county court house or offices and find it there. In any event, you had the right to stop the excavation and demand the company produce plat records indicating utility easements.
In hindsight, it would have raised a red flag with me if I saw locating marks on my property and I wasn't the one who asked them to come out.

BTW, the company trenching your neghbors line had no right crossing your property unless the crossing was in a utility easement. The easement is marked on your property plat. If you have your plans to your home the land plat is part of the plans. If not, you can go to your county court house or offices and find it there. In any event, you had the right to stop the excavation and demand the company produce plat records indicating utility easements.
In hindsight, it would have raised a red flag with me if I saw locating marks on my property and I wasn't the one who asked them to come out.

Just going to simply say this... Police were called out after I started waving my gun. Later that day, I had beers with the cop. Old buds from school.

Just going to simply say this... Police were called out after I started waving my gun. Later that day, I had beers with the cop. Old buds from school.

You really think a utility company digging in your back yard is grounds to start "waving a gun around"? I'm just curious. In most states you could have been arrested for that, you know. And, even if not, some random workers, who may or may not have been legally in this country, could very likely have 'preemptively striked'.

In Wi., working as a DNS tech, dish on non-pen, lines lay above ground, diggers called while with the customer, clear date and ticket number given to FSM or dispatch, reschedule pole mount with customer. DNS "Law", no digging without first having locate done through diggers hotline.

You really think a utility company digging in your back yard is grounds to start "waving a gun around"? I'm just curious. In most states you could have been arrested for that, you know. And, even if not, some random workers, who may or may not have been legally in this country, could very likely have 'preemptively striked'.
So you cower under your bed while a complete stranger invadds your property and proceeds to tear it up?
Ok you do that. The rest of us will exercise our rights as provided in the US Constitution. Read the 2nd and 4th amendments..The part about being secure in our homes, persons and papers.
Yes we should fear anyone with dark skin because they may be armed and reaady to strike first. Your logic is reamarkable.

Went over to the outlaws yesterday.........and was very disappointed. My m/i/l scored a sweet deal with 2 722s without having to buy them. I was very impressed by this. The installer arrives with 1 722, a 612, and a 211k. His order says this receiver set up. He calls the HQ and they confirm the 2 722 set up. He only has 1 in his truck..........so instead of rescheduling the install to do it right, he goes ahead with three receivers and convinces the HQ to tell my m/i/l it's a great deal!!!

So now instead of $66/mo with the 2 722s, is now $75/mo with all the additional receiver fees. She said, "I think I got screwed."......ummm......yah. I told her to call DISH and to get the install you ordered.

My question is...."Is it too late?" She signed whatever the installer gave her. This is a little ridiculous.

Thanks Fellas,

pfan

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)