Who can I contact to Inquire about HD Channels

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mbtins

Original poster
Jul 10, 2010
Indiana
I have the HD package in the Indianapolis market and there is one local channel that is in full HD over the air that is not being carried in HD on Direct. Is there some location on their web site or a number I can call other than customer service that might be able to tell me when and if that channel is going to be added in HD?

For those that know the Indy market, it's channel 23 -- WNDY.

It's not a huge deal, but there is no such thing as too much High Def! ;-)

Thanks....

Mike

One more Q -- any chance that sats will ever carry HD sub channel?

When I went from OTA to Dish, obviously I lost some of the sub channels that are broadcast.

Is there any chance that we will ever see those on Sat or even cable or is that a non-starter?

Mike

Extremely doubtful that a sat carrier would carry subchannels. There is just not enough room to carry subchanels for all of the markets.

S~

I've heard that there are a very few subchannels in some markets, particularly on E*--although I'm not sure which markets. I think it has to do with if the stations use them to clear network programming or for sports.

In the meantime, rather than carry subchannels, I think that D* or E* should strike national deals similar to what they did with ION to carry a national feed of the small "subchannel networks" like RTN or AIN.

I think carrying them all would be a waste of bandwidth unless they do have some legitimate programming and aren't just infomercials or the weather.

--Nat

I have the HD package in the Indianapolis market and there is one local channel that is in full HD over the air that is not being carried in HD on Direct. Is there some location on their web site or a number I can call other than customer service that might be able to tell me when and if that channel is going to be added in HD?

For those that know the Indy market, it's channel 23 -- WNDY.

It's not a huge deal, but there is no such thing as too much High Def! ;-)

Thanks....

Mike

Directv has to make deals with each station. I googled that station and saw why they might not carry it in HD

LIN-TV (the owner)....LIN is notorious for not coming to agreements with providers for channels. So the next time you might see it in HD on D* is when the CBS (which they also own) comes up for renewal ;)

as for the subchannels, you can get a AM21 tunr and use that with the HD DVR to get those stations. But unless it is a "big" subchannel (a network like CW, My, Fox etc) they usually dont carry them

Best thing to do is toss up an OTA antenna. Even though direct offers some of my market I don't watch them much there. They look better OTA and I get them all... And no rain fade :)

Directv has to make deals with each station. I googled that station and saw why they might not carry it in HD

LIN-TV (the owner)....LIN is notorious for not coming to agreements with providers for channels. So the next time you might see it in HD on D* is when the CBS (which they also own) comes up for renewal ;)

Very interesting...thanks for the info.

Best thing to do is toss up an OTA antenna. Even though direct offers some of my market I don't watch them much there. They look better OTA and I get them all... And no rain fade :)

It's not that big of a deal really...there were some decent weather stations, but that's about all that I would care about on the sub channels that I got.

Knock on wood, I have not had issues with rain fade.

Mike

Very interesting...thanks for the info.

SINCLair is another one that is like that. They own the CW here in Minneapolis and for the longest time the only way to see the HD signal was OTA....they have since added it to Directv and cable (Comcast is the main one here)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)