Who does the reviews and star ratings for Dish?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Never put much stock in those stars in the guide. Netflix is horrible too.
Maybe it is our taste but they usually don't reflect our likes. Prefer a decent description as well as we look for actors we like.
Just an opinion

Ross

Sent from my DROIDX using SatelliteGuys

Agreed, although I know a LOT of people who really do watch what's on Dish based on those stars. Can't tell you how often I have disagreed with those stars.

I find IMDb to give a user's (1? to 10 in .1 steps) rating vs. the Tribune's critic's (.5 to 4 in .5 steps) rating. IMDb will generally have ratings before Tribune and over a wider set of films. A rough rule is that IMDb is numerically 4 higher than Tribune. They can differ by up to 2 stars, which may reflect the difference of critics and the rest of us. I wish Sundance and the old IFC were in HD and I still have some Vooms.

I search the Dish guide channels 388 down to 300, mostly HD only, for 3 to 4 stars (occasionally 2.5) and then look at IMDb for those above my storage threshold, currently 7.3 or so. I now have 1120 HD, 570 TCM almost-good-enough up-converts, and 260 SD plus many well-rated series. I need to re-record a lot of older MPEG-2 HD to save space. The 2 TB of PBS OTA recordings, not in above, sure could use MPEG-4 re-recording but will they be repeated? I try for under 2300 MB/hr with 6300 MB/hr for OTA.

It may help to read Maltin or Ebert to decide if you want to see the movie. You can get Ebert delivered by calibre for your e-reader--free.

-Ken

You make a good point, as I have often been frustrated with the 4 stars maximum on Dish/Tribune although they do have HALF--stars, so there are more than 4 steps. However, Yes, I have preferred for a long time more steps and stars go give a more accurate rating for material on Dish. Sometimes that is the primary frustration I have with the rating on Dish as opposed to just disagreeing with the star ratings.

I use the star rating system and the movie descriptions all the time. As long as I modify my viewing based on my genre preferences, I find that the stars match my tastes quite well. My main complaint is that foreign language films are not specified as such.

I use the star rating system and the movie descriptions all the time. As long as I modify my viewing based on my genre preferences, I find that the stars match my tastes quite well. My main complaint is that foreign language films are not specified as such.
When you can't pronounce the names of the stars, that's usually a dead give-away. ;)

inazsully said:
Maltin and Ebert are both movie snobs. They need a couple of regular people with the ability to not require an Oscar type movie to give it a good rating. Most of us just want to be entertained.
What I find important for reviews is to find movie reviewers that are in your camp already. For me, its Kenneth Turran and Manhola Dargis. Go to Rotten Tomatoes, find films that the general public disagreed with you and find a reviewer that agreed with you. Kenneth Turran hit it out of the park with films like Superman Returns while a bunch of other reviewers were all gah gah over it.

Reviews are definitely subjective, so it is best to find a reviewer you agree a bunch of the time. Also, it is good to be able to read between lines in order to get a feel for what the reviewer didn't like about a film.

In general, I think reviews from Tribune are better with TCM and classic films as they've been around long enough to filter into their appropriate categories. I typically won't watch a 2 star or lower film on TCM, unless there is an actor I'm trying to watch.
dishsubla said:
You make a good point, as I have often been frustrated with the 4 stars maximum on Dish/Tribune although they do have HALF--stars, so there are more than 4 steps. However, Yes, I have preferred for a long time more steps and stars go give a more accurate rating for material on Dish. Sometimes that is the primary frustration I have with the rating on Dish as opposed to just disagreeing with the star ratings.
It works both ways. A four star system allows for a gentler classification of films. 1 is trash, 2 is okay, 3 is very good and 4 is outstanding. The 10 star system splits things up and a subjective reviews can based a film from 6.5 (pretty good) to 3.5 (yak!) where it could be just a 2 star film. IMDB shows what is wrong with the 10 star system. 10 stars is almost impossible to obtain, while garbage films could rate 4 stars, when they should be just 1 of 4. How does one rate Citizen Kane, Gone with the Wind, Network, Missing, Mister Roberts, Shadow of a Doubt, Witness for the Prosecution in a 10 star system? They'd all be 3.5 to 4 stars in a 4 star system. Simply noted, 4 stars is easier to judge on and less subjective. One can still disagree, but there is less room for subjectiveness.

Last edited:
DVDTALK.com does a very good job on breaking down a film. They discuss the story line, producers and editors performance, the actors performance, Picture quality and sound quality. and end the review with they're final thought. That thought can be "don't bother, "rent it", good", and "outstanding" It's not unusual to see a film reviewed by more than one reviewer so you get a mix of opinions. I only wish they reviewed more movies than they do. By reading the body of the review you can decide what to like or dislike based on your taste.

I can't believe that in 2021 this is still a concern. The dish ratings need to be revamped. Watched Resident Evil: The Final Chapter last night and Dish rating was only 1/2 star, it deserves a higher rating than that for sure.

Since it has been resurrected:

I would gladly accept the lousy stars IF we could get rid of the subjective descriptions of the movies for OBJECTIVE descriptions, like they were back with Tribune (folded into Gracenote when sold to Tribune, then Tribune sold Gracenote to Nielsen--the TV ratings people, and very shortly after that just about every MVPD dumped Gracenote/Nielsen and went with Rovi), and in the old TV Guide. Also, the CAST info is can be very subjective with negative remarks about an actor or even a fawning description of an actor. Just stick to the facts and objectivity.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Descriptions can be problematic. On Dish it isn't an issue because it'd be hard to spoil outcomes with the short length available. But television shows that I've known, I've seen flat out spoilers in the description and I'm aghast to that!

Though this does give me a Game Thread idea.

Seems only fair to plug “Life Itself” which IMDB has rated at 7.8 ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)