Who furnished supplies for the installer

rexlan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 15, 2009
If I basically do my own install can I get some supplies from the installer when they come out to cover my inside runs?

Does Dish furnish the installer the materials or does that come out or the installers payment from Dish?

If you want to be helpful, you can run good cable in advance of the installation. Don't terminate anything. If you absolutely can't help yourself, go ahead and terminate the cables, but be sure to leave enough extra cable that they can be cut off and re-terminated by the installer if the terminations aren't up to specification.

Anything you do will be on your dime.

self-installing is overrated.

I don't really call that help ... sort of like your reply ... LOL.

Oh well ..... Guess I've been shown now.

I don't really call that help ... sort of like your reply ... LOL.

Oh well ..... Guess I've been shown now.

You do not think he was trying to help? I'd like to think that you'll receive the help that you deserve....

Last edited:
Sounds to me like you are either building or remodeling a new home. Most installers wont do an install in 2 parts.

Want to make things great, here are my recommendations:

-Pre-wire your entire home with RG6. I am a fan of pure copper cable.
-Network your entire home with CAT6 cable. At least one location to ea rm, including kitchen
-Run all of your cables to a central location, as known as a home run. Do not install any splitters. Point a (outlet) to point b (home run location / straight shot)
-I would put everything on the south end of the home. Make this easily accessible and by accessible not in a spot that one hand can fit into. Also in this location make a grounding source. (breaker box, braid, cold water pipe, or an easy access within 10' to the outside where a rod could be placed...) Most homes that are prewired like this have cables ran to the breaker box location or a central closet of some sort.
-Do not worry about wall plates until after the installer is there. Once he/she leaves then add blanks or cheap wall plates
-Leave plenty in the box and at point B for terminal for service loops, etc.
-Do not waste your time putting terminals on anything
-At the point B location, have a piece of plywood or someplace for the diplexers/ground block, etc. to be attached to. At least a 2'x2' section
-If you are going to hang TV's, have chases in the walls for cables. Long HDMI cables can be had. Shop around and you can find them cheap. We have a place here that will custom make HDMI cables. Know that a rcvr is highly likely to be in the same location as a TV.
-Know that cables will be coming from the outside of the home (dish) to the inside. If I were to build a new home, there would be a 1.5" piece of conduit from the outside (a down turned elbow) to the inside where I could later fill the conduit with insulation
-Plan ahead. If there is any thought of an audio system, wire it. Now is the time.

I could probably go on. I wish I were in your shoes. If you want to purchase cables and installer tools, techtoolsupply.com is a good source. You can buy your RG6 and CAT6 from them also.

Here is some great reading
DigitalTips: DIY Options in Home Control
CEA: TechHome Rating System

BTW, I hope I didn't waste my time by writing this up. I also agree that self installs of satellite systems is super over rated and find it rather amusing that people insist on doing it themselves. Pre-wiring a home, prepping it and so forth is far different that installing a system. Pre-wire the home and stop there.

Last edited:
Thanks Frank ... very helpful.

SaltiDawg .... you need some help dude or some air maybe. Anyway .....

I still don't know if the installer get supplies from Dish or if they furnish their own as a part of their install commission ... that really was the question.

SaltiDawg said:

I'm also laughing.

Sub contractors supply their own tools, cables, diplexers, fittings, etc. In house techs are supplied with everything. Everything we use can be purchased from tech tool.

I still don't know if the installer get supplies from Dish or if they furnish their own as a part of their install commission ... that really was the question.
If you're angling to find out what is involved financially in being an installer, ask. In this case, you're question has been answered in two parts because it depends on the terms of the installers employment.

Installers do what they do in a matter of minutes and, as Frank7004 notes, they typically won't give you a bunch of supplies and come back when you've decided that you're done. Everything you feel like you can do as well or better than the installer must be done before they arrive and it will be entirely your financial responsibility.

If what you've done isn't to the satisfaction of a QC person and/or installer, they'll have to do it over so there's little motivation to approach it in the way you're trying to rationalize. It is hard enough to get paid without giving up control over all one or more aspects of the job.

I've decided not to be helpful either.

02791922264707314936.jpg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)