Who Has a 4k Projector?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

jgags6

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Rockford,IL
Currently I have an Epson 8350 projecting to a 120'' Screen in my basement and I'm thinking about upgrading to a 4k projector. I wanted to ask around and see how many of you have a 4k projector... or even if you don't, what would you recommend. As for budget, I would like to stay somewhere under $6,000 (the lower the better).

Thanks for the help!

I had the JVC RS500 which is 4K compatible. I sold it due to hdmi cable problems with 4K devices. Everything 2k was great and threw the best picture I've seen to date. Long hdmi cable runs are tricky at best and the Samsung UHD blue ray player is anything but plug and play with the JVC. I will jump back in when the market is a lot more stable for projectors.

I was looking at the JVC too and it looks like the best option and price at this time.

I have the Sony VPL VW665ES.

Some claim the JVC has a slightly brighter picture, but lacks Sony's superior upscale and motion enhancement quality. Sony is also better suited for gaming due to it's superior lag time. The JVC also has an 18Gbps chip set that allows 4K at 10 and 12 bit 60 fps. Sony does not, but the reality is there is no plans for content expect experimental at those formats now. The film/ motion picture industry is years away from those formats, stuck in 8 bit 24 fps and that is supported just fine with the Sony.

Many will look at price and go for the Epson or other low cost projector. I had an Epson and the big thing it lacks is the color processing. These are great for presentation but they lack the state of the art natural color processing in the middle priced projectors. Also, be careful about comparing MSRP because there is no need to over pay. I paid just under $8600 for my 665ES in an auction. The JVC RS600 and the Sony 665ES sell for about the same street price or about $9000-$10,000 In the US Sony publishes a really high markup for it's dealers but some will discount heavily. JVC, not so much. The dealers don't have much to play with so you get stuck paying near MSRP.

Going very high end seems to buy you new technology like laser light and brighter image for larger screens, but now were in the $60,000 MSRP range.

The Samsung gets along fine with the 665ES for BT709 color gamut, but doesn't cooperate at all for BT2020 + HDR which is what most of the UHD 4K disks use. I had to make custom color adjustments to get a good picture. Supposedly Sony has a firmware fix to be released later this month to fix the problem.

tigerfan is right, the current state of the art with these UHD disks is a crap shoot and really early adopter problematic.
BUT- the Samsung Netflix and Amazon apps with 4K content is amazing! Both have a bunch of great content now in 4K. The quality is really great. Plus the Sony's Reality Creation upscaler addes a 4K look to most of the local TV stations, and any 1080i output from my Dish 722K. The difference between a regular HD TV in 1080 mode and the 4K from the Dish 722K is day and night.

If I remember correctly the current JVC models did not have HDCP 2.2. They also implemented 4k with using 1080p panels and pixel shifting, not really full 4k.

Epson is doing shifting tech too.

Sony has real 4k. But, costs a lot of $$. While they have the resolution, they are still short on REC 2020 colorspace, but can do P3.

If I remember correctly the current JVC models did not have HDCP 2.2. They also implemented 4k with using 1080p panels and pixel shifting, not really full 4k.

Epson is doing shifting tech too.

Sony has real 4k. But, costs a lot of $$. While they have the resolution, they are still short on REC 2020 colorspace, but can do P3.

The most recent JVC models are HDCP 2.2 compliant with HDMI 2.0a inputs.
Last years models are not.
I will add to what Don said about the Sony when viewing 4K. I had no problem watching the Roku 4 that supports 4K apps. I never thought I would say YouTube videos are mind blowing good but that's exactly what it is watching 4K video with the JVC.
There are some long run HDMI cables that may or may not work with the Sammy uhd blu ray player but many were getting an extra power boost from their AVR. The frustrating part was that the exact cable and AVR may work for one person and not another.
There is a long HDMI cable (forgot the name) that was proven to work at 30 ft. for only $900!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)