Who has better NBA playoff coverage?

Whose NBA playoff coverage is better?

• Total voters

houselog442

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 21, 2005
Titusville, FL
Who do you think has better NBA playoff coverage? TNT or ESPN/ABC? I definatly prefer TNT because the broadcasters during the games (like kevin harlin and marv albert) are much better than the pathetic ESPN broadcasters. I also prefer the laid back approach of the TNT studio with Barkley and Kenny Smith over the uptight Tim Legler and Greg Anthony (and the pathetic Steven A. Smith!) What do you think?

In the booth i'm not too picky, but on the set I don't like how barkley and kenny smith are together, just doesn't work. Stephen A. Smith is a racist so that doesn't work either...

Now if they could just cover these games on the NFL network i'd be set.

Purogamer,

I think you mean loud mouth racist. He will jump on any opportunity to rant about race affecting this or that. I love the TNT package, its very well done.

Last edited:
vurbano said:
Purogamer,

I think you mean loud mouth racist. He will jump on any opportunity to rant about race affecting this or that. I love the TNT package, its very well done.

Ok now i am going to have to watch to see what you guys are talking about. i just like tnt have not really watched espn.

I have seen stuff from steven a in the past and i can tell he just doesnt seem to like white guys, especially the euro ones. The reality is, i just find him to be an idiot, and totally obnoxious. Thats why it doesnt surprise me they gaven him and that steroid hack, barry bonds, thier own tv shows

houselog442 said:
I have seen stuff from steven a in the past and i can tell he just doesnt seem to like white guys, especially the euro ones. The reality is, i just find him to be an idiot, and totally obnoxious. Thats why it doesnt surprise me they gaven him and that steroid hack, barry bonds, thier own tv shows

Ahh well that is stupid hell the euro ones are the best and the one from Canada.

I hate saying this but a lot of the black commentators definetely lean towards the black athlete. The white guys have to be unbiased but the black guys don't, maybe that's why I notice it more with stephen a. smith and barkley. They're not anti-white, it just seems like you've got to be really special to get any credit out of those two, whereas any black athlete (with the exception of ron artest, because it was trendy) of any skill level gets overhyped by those guys.

It doesn't bother me, but I can't say these guys are unbiased either. I like a little controversy in the booth and I like that these guys aren't afraid to say how they really feel, but sometimes I wonder how stephen gets away with the things he says...

The other part I hate about espn/abc's broadcasting is that they overhype Lebron James so much! At least on TNT, they dont seem to overhype one particular player, they treat them fairly equaly. ESPN does everything they can to compare Lebron to Jordan, even though they do not have that much in common (like Lebron is a total chump on defense). Plus, when ESPN gets to pick its games for the playoffs (they get first choosing) they always pick the the cavaliers games even though I think they are the most boring games of the whole bunch! I almost fall asleep watching Cleveland, but I will always watch the Phoenix games!

Well, Stephen is from one of the most obnoxious sports towns in America, Philadelphia...he is nothing but a loud mouth....but I have not heard anything anti-white...but DEFINITELY pro-black..and there is DEFINITELY a difference between the two. I like the TNT pre and post games and ESPN announcing team...I like Hubie Brown as color analyst

salsadancer7 said:
Well, Stephen is from one of the most obnoxious sports towns in America, Philadelphia...he is nothing but a loud mouth....but I have not heard anything anti-white...but DEFINITELY pro-black..and there is DEFINITELY a difference between the two. I like the TNT pre and post games and ESPN announcing team...I like Hubie Brown as color analyst

Well, the one case I always felt that told me everything I needed to know about Steven A. Smith was last year when he kept picking on San Antonio because thier starting center was Rasho Nesterovic. He mocked him and said a bunch of things, and it came off, to me at least, he didn't like him mainly because he is a white european.

Yeah well, they hype some white guys from time to time but it seems forced rather than natural...

Phoenix games are terribly boring, nash is boring. How he's the MVP i'll never know. They only won because Kobe threw a hissy fit. Watching the 4th quarter of that laker-suns game was torture, I almost put my foot through the screen because he wouldn't shoot and knock the suns out...

I'm an unabashed hockey fan. I turned on game 7 of the Mavs-Spurs game (after the Buffalo-Carolina game was over), and it took about 10 seconds to remember why I don't watch the NBA. Any Mavs player looks at a Spurs player cock-eyed and it's a foul. The Spurs, onthe other hand, can lay all over Novitski (sp?) and nothing.

There is a reason the NBA has never had an 8 seed defeat a 1 seed, the NBA is just slightly above the WWE in it's objectivity.

Just my .02

Digital Dude said:
I'm an unabashed hockey fan. I turned on game 7 of the Mavs-Spurs game (after the Buffalo-Carolina game was over), and it took about 10 seconds to remember why I don't watch the NBA. Any Mavs player looks at a Spurs player cock-eyed and it's a foul. The Spurs, onthe other hand, can lay all over Novitski (sp?) and nothing.

There is a reason the NBA has never had an 8 seed defeat a 1 seed, the NBA is just slightly above the WWE in it's objectivity.

Just my .02
I'll won't disagree regarding San Antonio...these guys get every [bad] call in the book IMO. Heck, Dallas had to play 20 points better than them tonight just for the privilege of getting into OT. Two incredible fourth quarter plays: Duncan backs down (commits offensive foul), has the ball tied up (jump ball), he scores and they call a foul on Dallas (I believe a Dallas player fouled out); Ginobelli (sp?) shoots a three pointer off target and flails his arms and legs into the defenders who is off to his right side...you guessed it, a three shot foul. Glad to see them bounced out because they had no business being in this game (I won't even go into the how the title was given to them last year). Anyway, the only bigger crime is how LeBron James gets away with taking 4 steps on his way to the basket. Great player? Yes! But I guess the refs are being told they can't call traveling on James...unless he walks in from Lake Erie.

They don't call anyone taking extra steps on a dunk unless you're spinning or moving around someone. That's the jordan rule and it's helped every dunker in the league since...

I've seen lebron get called for walking when he wasn't even close, so it balances out...

Purogamer said:
I hate saying this but a lot of the black commentators definetely lean towards the black athlete. The white guys have to be unbiased but the black guys don't, maybe that's why I notice it more with stephen a. smith and barkley. They're not anti-white, it just seems like you've got to be really special to get any credit out of those two, whereas any black athlete (with the exception of ron artest, because it was trendy) of any skill level gets overhyped by those guys.

It doesn't bother me, but I can't say these guys are unbiased either. I like a little controversy in the booth and I like that these guys aren't afraid to say how they really feel, but sometimes I wonder how stephen gets away with the things he says...
What a coincidence! I feel that Bill Walton goes out of his way to criticize the black ballplayers and hype the white ones. Stephen A. is a bit over-the-top at times, but he often says what needs to be said - even if you don't like it. Even though Barkley is hilarious at times and Kenny Smith is underrated, neither can hold a candle to Greg Anthony. He is smooth and very knowledgeable, as evidenced by the fact that at least one team was considering him to become their GM.

houselog442 said:
Well, the one case I always felt that told me everything I needed to know about Steven A. Smith was last year when he kept picking on San Antonio because thier starting center was Rasho Nesterovic. He mocked him and said a bunch of things, and it came off, to me at least, he didn't like him mainly because he is a white european.
He was mocking Nesterovic because he's not worth a damn, not because he's white. Did you notice that his minutes went way down this year?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts