Who has most channels?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

IcEWoLF

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 31, 2006
Nevada
DTV or Dish Network?

I like to have a huge channels choice..
also for an affordable price.

BTW excluding the NFL ticket and MLB pass what are the advantages to have DTV over Dish Network?

Is DTV the #1 satellite company in the US?

Is DTV going to have something that can compete with the Free ViP 622 receiver from Dish Network?

DTV or Dish Network?

I like to have a huge channels choice..
also for an affordable price.

BTW excluding the NFL ticket and MLB pass what are the advantages to have DTV over Dish Network?

Is DTV going to have something that can compete with the Free ViP 622 receiver from Dish Network?

Programming Choices :

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global/secondaryIndex.jsp?assetId=1300025
http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/programming/index.shtml

Look at pricing while your on these links, you'll find they are very comprable, I think DISH has a package that is cheaper than D*'s but they also have less channels in that package.

That depends on what your comparing to make it # 1
Currently DISH has more HD channels, but D* will soon pass that by a subastantial amount, it just depends on what YOU want .

YES D* has that product, it's the HR20-700, they do the same things, with a few differences.
Keep in mind that the 622 is about a year or so old now and they still have some issues with it, if you are trying to determine weather you want the 622 or the Hr20-700, that year has given DISH time to work on the 622 and clear up most of the issues....
For some reason, many are not giving D* time to work out issues with the HR20-700 and want to bash it right away.
This unit is getting better and better all the time and D* is spending time working to improve it every day.

IF you are reading the "Horror" stories about this unit, also read those that inform you that they have had very few problems as well.
Generally if you are having trouble you will post your displeasure, but MOST that are not having problems do not, so the numbers look much worse.

Enjoy your time learning about both, choose your provider by who has what YOU are looking for, not what others tell you, you should get.

One way I decided was, at the time D* was layed out as being better for Sports and DISH was more movies.
I am a SPORTS guy and need my ST.

Also, I know you've been around for a bit, but,:welcome to the site !!!

Jimbo

I am a ST type of guy...not much choice there..
ViP 622 is going to be free and the HR20-700 not...thats a + for dish...
Dish looks like it has more channels because they have 60+ radio channels which im not really into.
DTV offers Free locals in my area..i know not close to OTA but hey..!
Dish currently from what i heard from people in Reno is that they do not have locals available in Reno which means no Super Bowl on HD omg.
The thing that is kinda holding me back is HR20-700 = 300$ upfront and 100$ back mail in rebate. And Dish Network February 1st free ViP 622..

I am mainly looking for HD, i know DTV promised 100 which i don't think its true..but i strongly belive they may have more hd channels than Dish Network.
The way Charlie is taking care of Business is horrible....they are losing channels and getting sued regular basis...and i don't want to take the chance to lose HBO....too many original series i love.
Hard choice if you ask me..time is running out..
I would appreciate more posts from people that have DTV or they had Dish and moved to DTV.
Also anyone in Reno,NV with DTV?

Another question is do you need 2 Dishes to get Internation channels on DTV? I know Dish Network has Dish 1000+ which for the internation channels im looking for it only requires 1 dish.

The channel i was looking for was a South Asian channel ETV on DTV.

Also the package i usually always subscribe to is the Package with all the channels + all premium packages including the HD channels of course.

BTW Thank you so much for taking some time to reply in this thread Jimbos

Dish has more channels but take away channels that I wouldnt watch at all and it is pretty even for me.

Add in sports programming with D* and they have better CHOICES for me

019p1_xlg.jpg

I have had Dish for 8 years. I just switched to Direct this past week. My impressions are as follows:

I like the VIP 622 better than the HR20 - 700. I have had to do a reboot already on the HR20, never had to do this on the 622 in the 9 months I had it. The 622 also has a 30 second skip forward that the HR20 does not.

Even without the special incentives that I am currently getting from Direct, Direct is cheaper than Dish would be for me. Dish hits you with a lot of additional fees.

I miss the HD that Dish has, but I understand Direct will be adding more this year. I hope this proves to be true. Right now Dish has a lot more than Direct.

The picture quality looks about the same.

I want to subscribe to MLB Extra Innings and it sounds like this will become exclusive to Direct.

I miss the Superstations package that I had with Dish, Direct does not offer this.

I prefer the Sirius music channels that Dish offers over the XM ones that Direct offers as I already have a separate XM account and have no problem picking up the signal in my home. I have troube with the Sirius signal so it was nice having it on Dish.

With Dish, I was required to have 2 dishes to pick up all the HD channels. With Direct, I only have to have 1 dish, though it is bigger than what I had, 18" by 24" versus 20" in diameter. Not too much of an issue for me, better than two 20" dishes. I live in the Northeast and the 1 dish that Dish offers does not work in this part of the country. You may want to see if Dish's Dish 1000 will work in your part of the country. I understand that many areas have trouble pulling in the signal from the 129 satellite.

Though I have seen a lot posts about problems with customer service, my experience has been better with Direct than Dish. Dish has an Indian call center that is horrible.

I think you really have to look at the programming offered and the pricing to decide what will work best for you. I was hesitant to make a switch, but at the moment I am happy with my decision. The biggest complaint I have is the lack of HD, but that is supposed to change.

The 622 also has a 30 second skip forward that the HR20 does not.

It sort of has it, it's a 30 'slip' which is a 4x fast forward so it takes longer then the skip. Some people like it, some don't.

The HR20 also has the capability to play MPEG's and watch JPEG's of a PC. The official line is you need an Intel ViiV PC to make it work, other have been using 3rd party software like Twonkyvision on any old PC.

Well i just ordered Dish Network...i have a 30 days full money back Guaranteed so yeha if i am not satisfied with Dish Network i will come to DTV.
The only thing Echostart is pulling me...well its the Free ViP 622 receiver which DTV doesn't offer that.

I just switched back to D after five months with E. I like the fact that I get HD locals with D from Tampa where as they were not offered with E. E has many more HD channels, but I did not like the majority of them. The 622 was nice, but I found it to have too many steps to make in order to record a show. The HR20 is nice so far. I could care less about ST, but I do like the MLB package which is now exclusive to D. Really, it's all a matter of preference. Good luck!

Well i just ordered Dish Network...i have a 30 days full money back Guaranteed so yeha if i am not satisfied with Dish Network i will come to DTV.
The only thing Echostart is pulling me...well its the Free ViP 622 receiver which DTV doesn't offer that.

Well Icewolf,
You've conterdicted your self here.
Your very first statement said "YES you NEED ST", not much choice.
The 622 is FREE, it's also over a year old now... by that point in the HR20-70 life, it will also be free, I would imagine.
With the HR20-700 you are getting in on the grond floor with D*'s HD DVR
D* knows this, and are doing everything they can to send out updates to fix minor issues, on a regular basis .... MOST issues are cleared up at this point.
This is only 4 months old.
You have to pay for something that is brand new.
I don't remember the cost when the 622 came out, but $400 sounds right, and it dropped to $199 after that.

Most that claim they got thier HR20-700 for free, did so with discounts and programming credits.
D* did not say OK Joe, because we like you, we'll send our top of the line brand new unit out to you for FREE, just because your special !

Jimbo

Well ST is something i love...but i believe Dish Network offers NFL games too not as much ST...but i think Dish Network will keep me going.
I still have 1 more day before installation and i can still call and cancel and go with DTV.
DTV has Locals in HD in Reno and Echostar does not...so thats a - there too.
This is going to be a though choice in the end.
I know DTV is having a great deal but 199$ vs 0$ with something with less problems..well not much there.

Well ST is something i love...but i believe Dish Network offers NFL games too not as much ST...but i think Dish Network will keep me going.

What E* has is the NFL network, which last year showed 1 game a week after Thanksgiving, don't know what 2007 season will look like and a couple college bowl games. You'd also get the weekly Monday Night game on ESPN. Other then that it's what your local stations decide to show.

argh....this is a hard decision...
I mean DTV is not giving me a good deal
199$ HR20 Receiver fee + 100$ first months bill 299$ right there first month just to get DTV..

The other problem now is..i need 2 satellites from what i heard International + all US channels including HD service..
I know Dish Network has 1 which is dish 1000+ but DTV im not too sure about em.

The other problem now is..i need 2 satellites from what i heard International + all US channels including HD service..
I know Dish Network has 1 which is dish 1000+ but DTV im not too sure about em.

It all depends. D* will also used two dishes for some of their international programming. You'll need to check their site to see if what you wanted requires the 2nd dish.

I called my Local Installer and he told me i could get my International channel + Regular channels with no HD service

2nd Option - 2 Dishes to get everything

Pretty much if i go for the international i will lose HD if i am going to keep 1 satellite.

And HD is what i want the most, more than international but i must have both in 1.
I know its kinda asking too much but thats what i need.

I called my Local Installer and he told me i could get my International channel + Regular channels with no HD service

2nd Option - 2 Dishes to get everything

Pretty much if i go for the international i will lose HD if i am going to keep 1 satellite.

And HD is what i want the most, more than international but i must have both in 1.
I know its kinda asking too much but thats what i need.

Sounds like neither provider will get you everything you want within your requirements. You don't mention what internation channels you want. The D* page at http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global/secondaryIndex.jsp?assetId=1200007 list all their internation offers and says you should call to find out the equipment needs. Lyngsat at shows what international channel are on 95 degrees, which requires the 2nd dish, http://www.lyngsat.com/packages/directvusa95.html.

Well i was getting ETV from Direct TV Bangla Direct is the package name.
Dish Network will get me everything i wanted except the local in HD and Sunday Ticket.
for the locals im just going with OTA.

Well i was getting ETV from Direct TV Bangla Direct is the package name.
Dish Network will get me everything i wanted except the local in HD and Sunday Ticket.
for the locals im just going with OTA.

Who is your favorite team(s)(NFL) ???

Jimbo

What E* has is the NFL network, which last year showed 1 game a week after Thanksgiving, don't know what 2007 season will look like and a couple college bowl games. You'd also get the weekly Monday Night game on ESPN. Other then that it's what your local stations decide to show.

D* also has the NFL network

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)