Who is having problems with HDMI with 211/411/622

shodobe said:
I guess I am just lucky. No problems with my HDMI since March. Works perfectly with my Philips 50". I have a $14.99 Monoprice cable that works just great. I personally wonder if the problem doesn't exist mostly in the TV units and not in the 622. Just thinking out loud. It seems people are always itching to blame Dish for all the shortcomings of the 622 and not other things. I know there are alot of problems associated with the 622, believe me I know since my first unit went belly up with a burned out power supply!
While there certainly can be issues with the TVs connected to 622s (E* calls this "incompatibility"), the broken PCB connection problem is now well documented. For E* to essentially admit to the problem as they did in their Tech Chat in Aug., is proof-positive as far as I'm concerned. How much of the "no HDMI output" problem can be attributed to the broken PCB connections in relation to the other nonrelated root causes is anybody's guess, but I personally believe the PCB connection problem is a substantial percentage.

Given the documented problem, you are well advised to take precautions to prevent excessive motion of the HDMI plug, and excessive weight of the cable(s) hanging from that plug. You have been lucky so far, but there is ample evidence that the broken connection problem can first evidence itself after several months of trouble-free operation.

I am not quick to blame E* for everything. Other than the no HDMI output problem in my first unit (actual cause was never determined) and the fact that I am underwhelmed by the OTA tuner performance (deep fringe area), I am otherwise quite pleased with the 622! YMMV...

Last edited:
lnyoung said:
Been happily using the 622 through the HDMI port since April. This Sunday, HDMI failed with the overall greenish/blue cast to the screen, which progressed to a blank screen. When I move the HDMI plug, it changes, but I can not get to stabilize.

Called Dish support, got the software story. Feel very strongly it is not a software issue, but hardware as is well outlined in this thread.

Should I keep calling back until I get someone to replace the unit? Does asking for 2nd level support help?

Thanks.
It took me two calls until Tech Support admitted that it probably wasn't SW related and replaced the unit. Keep calling until you get satisfaction...

There is very little evidence that implicates the TVs as being the culprit of the failed HDMI connections to 211/622 receivers.

If it were the TVs, then replacement receivers would not work. However replacement receivers almost always work, as reported by the people who have gotten them.

Likewise if it were the TVs, then jiggling the connector on the 211/622 would not work, yet it does for some.

And if it were the TVs, then why is it that people are finding broken pins inside of their 211/622 receivers?

So perhaps there are a few cases where the problem could be due to an improper handshake with the TV or a broken HDMI connector on the TV, but this sure doesn't fit with the large majority of the problem reports.

If you can live with component video outputs, it will spare you any further aggravation, if not, then it will be a matter of getting a few months utility out of it and then having to RA it when the port fails. For whatever reason it sounds like they can't solve the glitch. It's been almost 5 months and still no fix (I kee hearing about October, but we've been down that road before).

Add E*'s HD receivers to the "must get insurance" crowd. You're nuts if you don't have the extended warranty with ANY PVRs, and now add the receivers with HDMI ports to the list as well....

The only hassle is having to lose any saved recordings when you swap receivers. It took me three months to burn up my backlog once the glitch struck me in May....

Tom Bombadil said:
There is very little evidence that implicates the TVs as being the culprit of the failed HDMI connections to 211/622 receivers.

If it were the TVs, then replacement receivers would not work. However replacement receivers almost always work, as reported by the people who have gotten them.

Likewise if it were the TVs, then jiggling the connector on the 211/622 would not work, yet it does for some.

And if it were the TVs, then why is it that people are finding broken pins inside of their 211/622 receivers?

So perhaps there are a few cases where the problem could be due to an improper handshake with the TV or a broken HDMI connector on the TV, but this sure doesn't fit with the large majority of the problem reports.

Troubleshooting 101. Keep swapping out links in the process until you isolate the problem. In this case, the cables work fine on my new 622, and the old 622 wouldn't output the signal to my father's HDTV so VOILA! Hardware failure UNLESS their is some weird buffer on the drive that fills up and then kills the signal to the output, but then that wouldn't explain how the "jiggling" can fix the problem. I don't understand why they continue to insist that it is a software problem.. maybe they are trying to stall until the "next big thing" receiver comes down the pike and then people upgrade to that to solve their problem for them. They can also convince a bunch of the meek types to switch to the component outputs to dodge the cost as well....

I'm sorry, but why do you guys care so much? The component output works fine. It is DIGITAL, people. 1's and 0's are 1's and 0's no matter which cord transfers them.

It's an input issue for me.... I have a spare input for DVI/HDMI, but I'm out of them for component, unless I disable playback on my DVD Recorder. Otherwise I have to keep moving the TV to change inputs.... A real PITA.

BobMurdoch said:
The only hassle is having to lose any saved recordings when you swap receivers. It took me three months to burn up my backlog once the glitch struck me in May....

Yea, that was my motivation for a self-repair. If the new boxes actually solved the problem I would have gone that route. But, I'll try and keep what I have until a real solution is ready.

Since Customer Support is largely refusing to swap the bad boxes, I'm hard pressed to fault anyone for attempting a self-repair.

(If I lease a car I'm certainly still allowed to change my own oil and do my own repairs).

Sure, if you screw it up, you void your warrenty.

jcrash said:
I'm sorry, but why do you guys care so much? The component output works fine. It is DIGITAL, people. 1's and 0's are 1's and 0's no matter which cord transfers them.

We were sold the box with a feature and we have a right to expect it to work.

Some may see a better picture and others may not. Way too many variables on the outside of the box (CRT, DLP, Plasma, cable length, etc).

My HDMI port worked fine for about three months, this with the L3.57 software in place. One day, it just stopped. After a long conversation with a DISH tech. rep, he said it was a software problem, and would be fixed with "either the L3.58 or L3.59 software." That was about four months ago. I just went with the component cable and am generally happy. Today I came across the HDMI-DVI cable that I retained from my 942, and decided to try it. Still no picture. I really don't want to go thru the hassle of a new box, just to have this fail again.

jcrash said:

The reason I care is that I use both the component AND HDMI ports on my 622. My 622 is in the basement hooked up to my home theater system. I have the component outputs fished up through a wall to the family room upstairs powering a 50" Samsung HDTV, and the HDMI is feeding a 60" Sony SXRD downstairs. We use the UHF remote upstairs and the IR remote downstairs. I have two TVs, both high def boxes. We typically never watch both at the same time so running one 622 is ideal - using both outputs. Well, since my HDMI output just failed, I have to manually rip apart my home theater setup to switch to components downstairs every time I want to watch TV downstairs. (And then disconnect and reconnect the upstairs component feed to watch upstairs again.) This is NOT acceptable in my book - the 622 is designed and sold supporting both hidef outputs at the same time. DISH needs to stow their excuses and come clean with what the real problem is. If it simply is a software bug, why does it take months to address - why all the lame excuses and no technical facts as to what is going on? I personally think it's failed hardware in 95% of the cases out there. Unless they are somehow mapping ports bad in software and shutting them down so they become useless even after hard reboots / cold restarts, I doubt its a software issue. DISH needs to fix this!

Sound Problem with HDMI

I fired my cable provider and went with DishNetwork. I also purchased a 37-inch HD LCD Magnavox (37MF231). After I replace the RC cables with a HDMI, had picture with no sound. After booting the VIP211 receiver, sound came on. Every time I shut down the system and then power up, the VIP211 receiver has to be booted to enable the sound to come on. Another way to temporarily fix the problems is to unplug and plug the HDMI, sound immediately comes on. I reported the problem to DishNetwork. They said this was a known problem and that DishNetwork was working on a software upgrade to fix the problem.

Last edited:
In case there are any readers interested in a HDMI vs Component primer, here's a good one:

http://www.practical-home-theater-guide.com/hdmi-cable.html

Which is best will indeed vary on the source and TV being used. I've seen some where HDMI/DVI has been decidedly better, and vice versa.

On my current 622 to HDTV setup, I find the HDMI connection to be a tad sharper. I have both connected and I elect to use HDMI.

A number of people have reported the exact same audio bug. I have not heard of a fix.

A workaround would be to also run the 211's audio L/R outputs to your TV and use them as your primary audio inputs.

jcrash said:
MY samsung 32" LCD TV has only 1 component input but 2 HDMI inputs. I bought the $1500 TV for the HDMI inputs. I now have to switch cables when I want to watch a DVD. Totally unacceptable! These Dish receivers were sold as having HDMI output. I've been with E* for seven years but in order to get one of the new receivers at a decent price I had to commit myself to a new 18 month contract. I'm now stuck in a contract with a receiver that doesn't work as advertised, which is total BS!!! I'm on my third 211 and the HDMI has also failed. No end in sight.
Edit
This problem is definitely HARDWARE. After initial "Loss of signal" wiggling the cable at the E* unit would result in picture and sound. Pushing the HDMI connector all the way in and then pulling it out just a bit would also result in picture and sound. But these solutions only last a while, then there is total failure. I will cotinue to DEMAND new receivers until I have a unit which works as advertised.

Last edited:
bhelms said:
Welcome, ksilfer! If I read you correctly, you actually FIXED your dead HDMI port by placing that washer, is that correct? I fully agree that (at least in your case) you probably actually reversed the tension on the HDMI socket's surface-mount connections on the PCB and placed them in compression by adding that washer. What a simple fix! (Wish I thought of it!)

DIY MEMBERS, TAKE NOTE! THIS IS PROBABLY GOOD A PREVENTIVE MEASURE !!! (All usual disclaimers apply...!)

Yes, that is correct.

Still working fine so far... :)
-- KEENE

To me, this is one of the flaws of HDMI specification. It doesn't use a positive physical latch like DVI does, only a friction fit. Also, the connector is too small and narrow to be reliable with only a friction connection. I see posts at avsforum about problems with HDMI connections on DVD players, OTA receivers, and sattelite receivers that are often traced back to faulty HDMI connectors.

I would have liked to see this connector designed with a latch like the DVI screws or
the clips that are on parallel computer connectors and the connector itself to be more
square than rectangular. I realize the designers were trying to create a small narrow
connector for small footprint devices but they ended up with a less than ideal connector, IMHO.

I've been hearing complaints about the design flaws of RCA connectors for 30 years.

The Toslink optical connection was flawed too.

Now that we have a chance to build a new digital connection from scratch, we end up with HDMI.

There must be a conspiracy in this somewhere.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts