Who is having problems with HDMI with 211/411/622

Tom Bombadil said:
I've been hearing complaints about the design flaws of RCA connectors for 30 years.

The Toslink optical connection was flawed too.

Now that we have a chance to build a new digital connection from scratch, we end up with HDMI.

There must be a conspiracy in this somewhere.

Actually, it sounds like an opportunity for some small company to provide a secure adapter. I've seen them for USB, RCA and other flawed designs that will provide a secure and strain free connection. I think it could be done here as well.

Dang...installed last friday and my hdmi video is good but audio drops all the time. I have to reboot 211 and then it works but not when i change the channel. I have not read all of the 21 pagres of this thread but is there anyway to fix this? The component cable connection look like Kaka.

jayn_j said:
Actually, it sounds like an opportunity for some small company to provide a secure adapter. I've seen them for USB, RCA and other flawed designs that will provide a secure and strain free connection. I think it could be done here as well.
Here is one example (previously posted by another SatGuys member, but I can't remember his name to give proper credit - I apoligoze for that!)

http://www.bestdealcables.com/hdmiballmount.aspx

Madtown HD Junkie said:
Dang...installed last friday and my hdmi video is good but audio drops all the time. I have to reboot 211 and then it works but not when i change the channel. I have not read all of the 21 pagres of this thread but is there anyway to fix this? The component cable connection look like Kaka.
Sounds like something other than the ubiquitous broken HDMI connector, which this thread has migrated to. Maybe you can search for "211 audio" and get a better idea from other threads. Here's one on that topic:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=73313&highlight=211+audio

Right now with E* you only have the choice of the 211, 411, or 622 (DVR). The 222 is supposedly on the way. (What is the difference beteen the 211 and 411?)

Last edited:
Many have reported audio problems from the HDMI connections.

I wouldn't return the box. I would switch over to using either the optical digital or RCA audio outputs. There is no guarantee that the next 622's HDMI audio will work either.

I've had my 622 since March and no problems with anything HDMI related UNTIL last week. It started with the picture blacking out, after checking connections, I discovered it was the connector. At first the audio and picture came back, it kept happening, then all I could get back was a picture. So I called tech support and I received the obligitory software excuse (Unplug your cables and reboot your DVR) NADA! I called back explaining the connector was indeed the issue and they exclaimed we'll send you a New 622 in two days. We'll see how this turns out.

bhelms said:
Here is one example (previously posted by another SatGuys member, but I can't remember his name to give proper credit - I apoligoze for that!)

http://www.bestdealcables.com/hdmiballmount.aspx

That will certainly solve the problem where cables pull out under strain. I'm not sure it would solve the problem being discussed here where side and/or torque on the connector is causing the connector to fail. I would instead build a bracket that connected to the top screw and braced against the rear panel. it would come out 3 inces or so and provide a resting surface to provide strain relief. To avoid the pullout problem, I would add a cable clampthat pinched down the cable at the end furthest from the box.

For anyone having to reboot their receivers because of no audio thru the hdmi connection you might want to try this because it is much quicker fix for me atleast.

I'm using a vip211 connected via hdmi to a new Samsung 42" plasma and it works every time for me.

Go into the menu

slect - system setup #6

select hdtv setup #7

then change the tv type 720p to 1080i or vise versa.

save change and your audio should start working. You can change you tv type settings back to what it was before as soon as the audio kicks in.

Makes me think that there is a handshake problem between the two and hopefully some new software can fix it.

Let us know if it works for anyone else.

If you want to see the design flaw in my 411 receiver, here is a link to my blog. For a long time, I believed Dish regarding a mysterious "software" fix that was coming. Software can't fix an HDMI surface mount connector pulled away from the circuit board. I put up with out of sync audio on the component inputs for about 7 weeks. I finally got fed up with Dish, and cancelled my HD part of the service. When I move in a couple of weeks, Dish Mover won't apply.

http://mostly-linux.blogspot.com/2006/09/dont-blindly-believe-dish-if-hdmi.html

TripleII

Did you re-solder your connection?

This could be class-action lawsuit material, couldn't it? I'm sure this is a known hardware problem (by Dish) and the software excuse is just that, an excuse to not have to replace all 622's...
The replacement boxes we get, are those refurbs? Is there a chance we can get one with a previously broken HDMI? The tech support guy I spoke with told me the new box could have the same problem...
Wonder who builds these for Dish?

November 4, 2006
On approximately this date the HDMI signal from my ViP622 stopped working; no picture, no sound. HDMI does not respond to wiggling the connectors, unplug/re-plug, power off/on, etc. Signal from ViP622 to TV via component connectors works but HDMI does not. The HDMI had been working fine for the 15 weeks since installation in July 2006. The ViP622 is a Version D. HDTV is a Philips PF9631D. I have a service call in to DISH. Thanks to all who have posted on this problem here, a big help.

I have a 211 and started using the HDMI about two weeks ago when I upgraded my TV. Three times I had no picture when turning on the system. Troubleshooted it down to the HDMI using this thread as a guide.

Component works fine but here's something I haven't seen addressed. I started having the picture "blink" about every 5-10 seconds but only when watching from Dish (not on DVD, etc.). So, I disconnect the HDMI cable which I left connected even though I was using component, and bingo....the blinking went away. Is it possible for the HDMI connection to effect the component output?

How widespread is the HDMI problem?
The HDMI output on my 411 stopped working today. Dish insists it is a software problem and didn't want to preplace my unit, but after talking to many people they have finally agreed to replace it.

After talking with dish earlier today, I began playing with the HDMI connection at the 411 and I've gotten it to work again, but it isn't pretty. In frustration I pulled the HDMI cable to the left and suddenly I had a picture. When I let it go the picture was lost again. A pulled it tight again and the picture came back, so I taped the cable in place. It has now been 8 hours and the connection is still working.
Obviously this wasn't a software problem. The HDMI ports on the units themselves I believe are bad or improperly installed.
I lost my HD 1080i. I cannot receive a any HD programing. I have a VIP 211 receiver. I was told it was a software problem also. and told the problem should be corrected by the end of November. I changed the HDMI cable this did not change the situation. Also was told that it was software problem.

Floyd

I have a 211 and started using the HDMI about two weeks ago when I upgraded my TV. Three times I had no picture when turning on the system. Troubleshooted it down to the HDMI using this thread as a guide.

Component works fine but here's something I haven't seen addressed. I started having the picture "blink" about every 5-10 seconds but only when watching from Dish (not on DVD, etc.). So, I disconnect the HDMI cable which I left connected even though I was using component, and bingo....the blinking went away. Is it possible for the HDMI connection to effect the component output?

I had a 211 installed yesterday. The installer said it is not recommended to have both the HDMI and Component outputs hooked up.

I lost my HD 1080i. I cannot receive a any HD programing. I have a VIP 211 receiver. I was told it was a software problem also. and told the problem should be corrected by the end of November. I changed the HDMI cable this did not change the situation. Also was told that it was software problem.

Floyd

I was told the same thing you were when my HDMI quit working! I went through FOUR customer service people before one agreed to send me a replacement 411. Only one of them was a butthead and told me it was a software issue. This was on Monday, 11-13. I got the replacement 411 on Thursday 11-16 and the HDMI is working again. When your HDMI isn't working, hang in there and keep calling until you get a service rep that agrees to send you a replacement.

A couple of notes. One of the customer service people told me to wiggle the cable, one told me change out an adapter I had to use, one told me to change out the HDMI cable before the final rep agreed to send the replacement unit. All that to say I found an HDMI cable at Radio Shack (their brand) which had a far lighter weight HDMI plug for the Dish box than the one I had. AND, it plugged in easier. My TV only has a DVI input so I use a cable with a DVI on one end and an HDMI on the other end.

Just info I hope will help someone.

kat-sass

I was told the same thing you were when my HDMI quit working! I went through FOUR customer service people before one agreed to send me a replacement 411. Only one of them was a butthead and told me it was a software issue. This was on Monday, 11-13. I got the replacement 411 on Thursday 11-16 and the HDMI is working again. When your HDMI isn't working, hang in there and keep calling until you get a service rep that agrees to send you a replacement.

A couple of notes. One of the customer service people told me to wiggle the cable, one told me change out an adapter I had to use, one told me to change out the HDMI cable before the final rep agreed to send the replacement unit. All that to say I found an HDMI cable at Radio Shack (their brand) which had a far lighter weight HDMI plug for the Dish box than the one I had. AND, it plugged in easier. My TV only has a DVI input so I use a cable with a DVI on one end and an HDMI on the other end.

Just info I hope will help someone.

kat-sass
I E mailed The CEO and tech support on 11/20 and within five minutes received a call from Dish that they are going to send a replacement 211 receiver. So I guess the way to go is via E mail.
Floyd

Another 622 with HDMI failure

The HDMI output on my oldest 622 just failed:mad: . Switched to component and picture returned.

Called Dish and they agreed to send another 622 out right away. No hassles about getting a replacement.

no HDMI

I was told the same thing....that it was a software issue with the 211 and a fix should be ready at the end of November. Apparently people have been told a fix would be available "soon" and this was in October. It is unsettling to see that some have replaced their unit and it is now working? Dear Dish Network:Everyone wants a straight answer on this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts