Who is having problems with HDMI with 211/411/622

Call. I did yesterday and got a great customer rep who was more than happy to send me a new reciever. It is just the luck of the draw. Give it a shot.

Dvr 622

DVR 622 installed July 4. Today I have no video or audio from the HDMI port. Works fine with RCA cables. Does anyone have any ideas? I have changed the HDMI cable did not remedy the problem. Reset reciever,unplugged reciever still nothing.

Well, it's good they are replacing receivers, but does that really make the most sense?

If E* wanted to be more open, the could explain the problem, take down names, and ask customers to use component until a redesign is ready. Pumping out more boxes with the same defective connector is just silly.

I suppose they could be repairing the solder joints on the returned boxes, but I'm not sure they are equipped to do that kind of rework at this volume.

David_Levin said:
Well, it's good they are replacing receivers, but does that really make the most sense?

If E* wanted to be more open, the could explain the problem, take down names, and ask customers to use component until a redesign is ready. Pumping out more boxes with the same defective connector is just silly.

I suppose they could be repairing the solder joints on the returned boxes, but I'm not sure they are equipped to do that kind of rework at this volume.

Very good point, but now that I know what the problem is, at least I can try to prevent putting too much pressure on the connector and maybe it will last until they have a new design and can fix the connectors properly and permanently. Like I said above, I have a $100+ HDMI cable I purchased and I want to use it.

You definately need a quality DVI/HDMI conversion cable. I think it is likely that most of your issues are with the cable, and not the hardwired ports. (Though with Dish products, you never know) I suggest you refrain from buying a major chain's gold plated $100 plus cable. Search the net and find a supplier that has obvious depth in specialty cables. Can't think of the guys I used, but they were from the midwest and offered a lot of HDMI solutions.
Any serious quality retailer of HDMI products will offer things like HDMI amplifiers. Their 75-100' cables should cost hundreds. Thats the real deal.
Keep in mind that your receiver will need to be setup in 1080i in the setup menu. Your tv should be setup to match to whatever extent it offers.
HDMI/DVI is TRUE 1080i HD. DVI does not offer sound. Watch HDNet and evalute your system. HDNet is dedicated to broadcasting material filmed on only high-quality media. Try it yourself to confirm. No compressed HD there, ever.
Anyway, if you are taping the cable, something is not right. If you need to tape a new cable, maybe the tv needs some service. -but unlikely. I bet the cable or the Dish box has a problem.
P.S. Don't forget to set your convergence if a projection tv!
Good Luck.
Tom

TommyTDFVC said:
You definately need a quality DVI/HDMI conversion cable. I think it is likely that most of your issues are with the cable, and not the hardwired ports. (Though with Dish products, you never know)

I'm really not sure who you are replying to (a quote would help).

But, I doubt the quality of the cable has anything to do with the solder joints between the HDMI connector and the PCB.

Besides myself we've herd from at least 1 person here and another at dbstalk who removed the lid and had lifted pins.

So far, I haven't herd from anyone who has a previously working port, opened the top, and did NOT find lifted pins.

Good point again, D_L. IIRC, the connector has 2 rows of connections on the PCB and the row towards the rear panel is hidden by the upper parts of the connector. If that's true then cursory inspection may not reveal a lifted pin in that row. You'd have to do some disassembly to see the whole situation. Is that correct?

I think based on the geometry of the connector that the pins in the front row would be more vulnerable since they would be placed in tension whereas the pins in the rear row would be placed in less tension or even compression as weight is applied to the HDMI plug, so perhaps this is a non-issue...

bhelms said:
IIRC, the connector has 2 rows of connections on the PCB and the row towards the rear panel is hidden by the upper parts of the connector. If that's true then cursory inspection may not reveal a lifted pin in that row. You'd have to do some disassembly to see the whole situation. Is that correct?

I don't remember two rows of pins. If I think about it I'll try and get some pictures this weekend (It's pretty small... Not sure how close I can get).

It looks like one of these (I'm not sure of the guide pins on the PCB):

http://www.imperial-connect.com/products/HDMI/HDMIA02.pdf
http://www.imperial-connect.com/products/HDMI/HDMIA04.pdf
http://www.imperial-connect.com/products/HDMI/HDMIA05.pdf

Look at the pics - imagine what happens if the back panel moves relative to the PCB - or, if the spacing of PCB to Panel is greater then spec.

It can be hard to tell that a pin is lifted. It gonna be up on the order of tenths of a milli-meter.

Last edited:
Tks again D_L. I will also take a closer look with better light. (It's half hidden under the PS board.) Your dwgs definitely show all 19 pins in a single row with 0.5mm (ouch!) pitch, so that's probably what we have in the 622.

I not only envision, but I can actually see the socket moving relative to the PCB when I put some gentle pressure on the HDMI plug. It's not hard to imagine such a force will eventually break a pin loose. It would be tough to see a lifted pin unless you cause that same motion and see it moving, or else probe for it...

It is possible that using a cheap HDMI cable may be to your advantage with a Dish receiver. That is, if the cheaper cable is lighter in weight and thus puts less pressure on the connector. As long as you get a picture and there aren't "sparklies" in the image from data errors, a cheap cable works fine.

Well...I have been struck down by the plague as well. We have had our 622 since May and have not had a single problem with it.

Last evening we were watching TV, and then...no picture or sound. I first tried changing channels with no resolution. Then I rebooted and hooray, the picture/sound came back...for about 5 minutes. We gave up and went to bed.

Today I tried to troubleshoot the problem, got it back then it went again, then I only had picture. Finally the problem won and I can't get anything. Our TV (JVC 61" 1080 LCOS) has two HDMI inputs, so I switched the 622 to the second input, with the same result. Double checked the HDMIs with our Toshiba HD-DVD player, and it worked fine.

Called Dish, and the tech acknowledged :eek: that this is a known problem with the 622, and a software solution will be out next month :rolleyes:

He apologized, recommended I switch to component, and wait for the new software download to fix the problem :eureka

I hope so,

After getting a new HDTV(Mitsubishi WD-65731), we hooked up the HDMI cable and it worked for a week in early July before getting just a blue screen one morning and nothing I did would get it back. Called Dish Network and they said it was a software related problem and to wait for the update later in the year. I watched the Technical Forum repeat where they talked about a software related problem AND a hardware related problem if the connection worked and then went out like ours did. After watching the broadcast this last Thursday, I called Dish and asked for a replacement 622, citing the Technical Forum information. The lady confirmed my info after putting me on hold and set me up to receive a replacement 622 within a week. I will update this thread after getting the new 622 and trying the HDMI connection.

how big of a deal is this?

they got me.

Does anyone have any idea as to how many dish network customers have been effected?

Thanks.

gcs5656 said:
... the Technical Forum repeat where they talked about a software related problem AND a hardware related problem if the connection worked and then went out like ours did. After watching the broadcast this last Thursday, I called Dish and asked for a replacement 622, citing the Technical Forum information. The lady confirmed my info after putting me on hold and set me up to receive a replacement 622 within a week.

Called again today and cited the Technical Forum, Dish is replacing mine as well. :D

SW issue vs. HW issue - how to tell ??

Readers in this thread know I have been a part of it from the get-go. The SW issue vs. HW issue still has me baffled and I am showing my ignorance of the HDMI standard/protocol with this question. Many posters have postulated that if the unit worked for a while then quit that it couldn't be a software or equipment incompatibility problem. I was originally of that opinion but now I'm not so sure!

So to you HDMI-savvy techies out there, under what circumstances could the "no HDMI output" problem be software related if the system was working OK via HDMI then quit? (Let's not include a concurrent SW update that caused the problem, and of course I'm not considering anything HW related like a broken connection on the PCB.) Is there some kind of "handshake" that the TV/monitor and receiver need to make periodically that could become corrupted? How can E*s proposed "SW fix" solve this kind of problem?

Enquiring minds want to know...! TIA and BRgds...

HDMI failed on my 622 this morning. Same exact pattern as SummitCinema just described - Worked great since March, suddenly no picture, rebooted, then it worked for a little bit, then completely died yada yada yada.

I'm using component for now. Component does not look as good as HDMI on my particular system which suprised me a little (guess my little old 46" Sony has better "digital guts" than I though). Maybe I'll do a little component/HDMI comparison testing with my DVD player to see if I'm imagining things - but I digress...

I haven't called Dish yet - got tons of stuff on the DVR that I don't want to lose, so I might try to hold off calling for a replacement 622 'till they come out with USB hard drive support - hopefully that would let me move my stuff to the replacement 622.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)